|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What streaks across the sky as Mehring reaches a stone outhouse?
2. Why do Jacobus and Mehring talk about cattle?
3. What does Mehring also consider?
4. Why do the streets become impassible?
5. Why do the Indians allow local blacks to shop?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the disaster affect Mehring?
2. Where does Mehring end up after walking across the compound?
3. Describe Mehring's thoughts about his son and Antonia's hypocrisy.
4. What can be found at the laborers' celebration?
5. How do the Indians react to Mehring being in their store?
6. How does Jacobus handle the natural disaster without Mehring?
7. What does Mehring learn about his son? Why is he upset?
8. What does the disaster mentioned in this chapter do to the land and people?
9. How does Mehring feel about his farm?
10. What is wrong with Phineas' wife?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jalal is painting peace signs that can be seen by the public.
Part 1) Why is Jalal painting peace signs?
Part 2) How does his father react? Why?
Part 3) What do the peace signs look like at the end of the story? Why?
Essay Topic 2
A theme in this book is mortality.
Part 1) What is mortality? Give examples from the text that involve this theme.
Part 2) Why is this a theme of the book?
Part 3) How are the characters in this book affected by this theme?
Essay Topic 3
Mehring is the protagonist in this book.
Part 1) Describe Mehring.
Part 2) How does his character change throughout the book?
Part 3) Compare and contrast Mehring at the beginning of the book to Mehring at the end.
This section contains 827 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)