|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mehring no longer have much to do with pig iron?
2. What will Terry be missing by staying in the United States with his mother?
3. How do the Indians hope to keep officials at bay?
4. Why do the Indians allow local blacks to shop?
5. For what is the beer and goat meat?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Jalal painting?
2. What does the disaster mentioned in this chapter do to the land and people?
3. How is Mehring only charged with "interfering" with the girl and can easily make the issue disappear?
4. How does Jacobus handle the natural disaster without Mehring?
5. How does the disaster affect Mehring?
6. What does Mehring do, regarding the girl whose father had committed suicide?
7. How do the farmhands spend Christmas day?
8. What happens to Mehring as he is walking in the third pasture?
9. How does Dorcas' husband handle the situation with the Indians?
10. What can be found at the laborers' celebration?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mehring is the protagonist in this book.
Part 1) Describe Mehring.
Part 2) How does his character change throughout the book?
Part 3) Compare and contrast Mehring at the beginning of the book to Mehring at the end.
Essay Topic 2
A body is found on Mehring's farm.
Part 1) How do the authorities, Mehring, and the farmhands deal with the body?
Part 2) What do we know about this body?
Part 3) What does this body symbolize in this book?
Essay Topic 3
Mehring finds a pamphlet for supporting homosexuality in his son's backpack.
Part 1) Describe Mehring's reaction to finding this information.
Part 2) What evidence can be found in the book to support the fact that Terry may be a homosexual?
Part 3) Does Mehring have the right to look through his son's backpack? Why or why not?
This section contains 790 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)