|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Antonia tell Mehring about his property?
2. Why does Mehring no longer have much to do with pig iron?
3. What does Solomon think about, along with dying in the pasture?
4. What are the farmhands becoming on Christmas day?
5. Why does Mehring stop by the Indians' store to get a Christmas present for Jacobus and his staff?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is wrong with Phineas' wife?
2. What does Mehring learn about his son? Why is he upset?
3. Who does Mehring run into as he is getting coffee? What does he find shocking about this girl?
4. What happens to Mehring as he is walking in the third pasture?
5. How is Mehring only charged with "interfering" with the girl and can easily make the issue disappear?
6. How does the disaster affect Mehring?
7. What does Mehring do while he is in the third pasture?
8. After speaking to Jacobus, what does Mehring wonder?
9. What is Jalal painting?
10. What do the Indians think of the locals?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The laborers have a celebration.
Part 1) Describe the celebration.
Part 2) Does Mehring take part in the celebration? Why or why not?
Part 3) Why is a celebration good for the laborers?
Essay Topic 2
The owners of the Indian Store live in constant fear.
Part 1) Why?
Part 2) Describe their living conditions.
Part 3) Compare and contrast these illegal immigrants to illegal immigrants found in the United States.
Essay Topic 3
The book sheds light on Mehring's relationship with women.
Part 1) Describe his relationship with Antonia.
Part 2) Describe two other incidences in the book in which Mehring comes into contact with women.
Part 3) Based on information from the text, what seems to be Mehring's opinion of women? Why?
This section contains 841 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)