|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why must Bismillah keep alert?
2. Who stops by the Indians' store?
3. How do people attempt to stay dry?
4. Why is Mehring easily able to make the issue with the young girl disappear?
5. For what is the beer and goat meat?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Mehring run into as he is getting coffee? What does he find shocking about this girl?
2. What does the disaster mentioned in this chapter do to the land and people?
3. How does the disaster affect Mehring?
4. What happens to Mehring as he is walking in the third pasture?
5. Describe Mehring's thoughts about his son and Antonia's hypocrisy.
6. What is wrong with Phineas' wife?
7. After speaking to Jacobus, what does Mehring wonder?
8. Why is Jalal's father upset with what his son is painting?
9. Why can the orange river lilies now be seen?
10. Describe the lives of the owners of the Indian Store.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mehring goes to the Indian Store to purchase gifts.
Part 1) How do the Indians treat him?
Part 2) Why do they treat him this way?
Part 3) How does he react to their treatment?
Essay Topic 2
A theme in this book is mortality.
Part 1) What is mortality? Give examples from the text that involve this theme.
Part 2) Why is this a theme of the book?
Part 3) How are the characters in this book affected by this theme?
Essay Topic 3
Mehring has a close call under a bridge, which reminds us of one of Mehring's character flaws.
Part 1) What is this flaw?
Part 2) Mehring calls his son a hypocrite? How is he also a hypocrite?
Part 3) How are Mehing and Terry's flaws similar?
This section contains 846 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)