|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mehring think about as he walks through the property?
2. Although cyanide is the quickest way to commit suicide, why does he believe it is not what the man used?
3. How do people attempt to stay dry?
4. What does Mehring notice about the orange river lilies?
5. Why does Terry call from New York?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the disaster affect Mehring?
2. How does Mehring feel about his farm?
3. What happens to Mehring as he is walking in the third pasture?
4. How does Jacobus handle the natural disaster without Mehring?
5. Why can the orange river lilies now be seen?
6. How do the Indians react to Mehring being in their store?
7. What does the disaster mentioned in this chapter do to the land and people?
8. Describe Mehring's thoughts about his son and Antonia's hypocrisy.
9. What does Mehring learn about his son? Why is he upset?
10. After speaking to Jacobus, what does Mehring wonder?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The concept of change is delved into throughout Chapter Seven.
Part 1) What are these changes?
Part 2) Choose one of these changes. Why is it important to the story?
Part 3) Choose another change. Why is it important to the story?
Essay Topic 2
The author strongly hints at "something large" being unearthed by the flood.
Part 1) What is literally being unearthed? Why?
Part 2) What is figuratively being unearthed?
Part 3) How are both of the events handled by Mehring and his farmhands?
Essay Topic 3
Mehring has a close call under a bridge, which reminds us of one of Mehring's character flaws.
Part 1) What is this flaw?
Part 2) Mehring calls his son a hypocrite? How is he also a hypocrite?
Part 3) How are Mehing and Terry's flaws similar?
This section contains 918 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)