|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Jacobus and Solomon planting in the field?
2. When is Mehring's only chance of seeing his son?
3. Where does Mehring get his leg stuck?
4. How does Mehring evade the funeral?
5. When they land at Johannesburg, after some polite conversation, what does the young girl do?
Essay Topic 1
The owners of the Indian Store live in constant fear.
Part 1) Why?
Part 2) Describe their living conditions.
Part 3) Compare and contrast these illegal immigrants to illegal immigrants found in the United States.
Essay Topic 2
A theme in this book is mortality.
Part 1) What is mortality? Give examples from the text that involve this theme.
Part 2) Why is this a theme of the book?
Part 3) How are the characters in this book affected by this theme?
Essay Topic 3
Solomon is beat up badly by two men.
Part 1) Describe this scene.
Part 2) What are possible reasons for his abuse?
Part 3) Why does Solomon risk his life? Compare him with others in our society who also risk their lives for those they love.
This section contains 1,011 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)