|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mehring find annoying about the Indians?
2. Why do the streets become impassible?
3. What does Mehring think about as he walks through the property?
4. What will Terry be missing by staying in the United States with his mother?
5. What is wrong with the goat meat?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the disaster mentioned in this chapter do to the land and people?
2. How does Mehring feel about his farm?
3. Why can the orange river lilies now be seen?
4. Where does Mehring end up after walking across the compound?
5. What does Mehring say about his hopes for his land when he dies? How does Antonia respond?
6. What does Mehring do while he is in the third pasture?
7. What is Jalal painting?
8. What do the Indians think of the locals?
9. After speaking to Jacobus, what does Mehring wonder?
10. Who does Mehring run into as he is getting coffee? What does he find shocking about this girl?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mehring is the protagonist in this book.
Part 1) Describe Mehring.
Part 2) How does his character change throughout the book?
Part 3) Compare and contrast Mehring at the beginning of the book to Mehring at the end.
Essay Topic 2
Mehring goes to the Indian Store to purchase gifts.
Part 1) How do the Indians treat him?
Part 2) Why do they treat him this way?
Part 3) How does he react to their treatment?
Essay Topic 3
The owners of the Indian Store live in constant fear.
Part 1) Why?
Part 2) Describe their living conditions.
Part 3) Compare and contrast these illegal immigrants to illegal immigrants found in the United States.
This section contains 822 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)