|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How might the owners of the Indian Store lose all they have worked for?
2. What do the father and son at the store immediately do when they see Mehring?
3. How does Mehring evade the funeral?
4. Of what do the Indians have an inevitable feeling?
5. Why can Mehring not get to the farm for two weeks?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mehring become intimate with a young girl on a plane?
2. Describe the lives of the owners of the Indian Store.
3. How does the disaster affect Mehring?
4. What do the Indians think of the locals?
5. How does Jacobus handle the natural disaster without Mehring?
6. What does Mehring do, regarding the girl whose father had committed suicide?
7. How does Mehring feel about his farm?
8. What can be found at the laborers' celebration?
9. What does Mehring do while he is in the third pasture?
10. Why is Jalal's father upset with what his son is painting?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The concept of change is delved into throughout Chapter Seven.
Part 1) What are these changes?
Part 2) Choose one of these changes. Why is it important to the story?
Part 3) Choose another change. Why is it important to the story?
Essay Topic 2
Mehring and his son Terry are very different, but also have some similarities.
Part 1) Describe Terry.
Part 2) How are Mehring and Terry different?
Part 3) What are the similarities between Mehring and Terry?
Essay Topic 3
A body is found on Mehring's farm.
Part 1) How do the authorities, Mehring, and the farmhands deal with the body?
Part 2) What do we know about this body?
Part 3) What does this body symbolize in this book?
This section contains 977 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)