|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of what do the Indians have an inevitable feeling?
2. Why can the orange river lilies be seen?
3. How does Mehring evade the funeral?
4. What is Phineas' wife doing at the celebration?
5. What does Mehring take as he walks across the compound?
Short Essay Questions
1. What can be found at the laborers' celebration?
2. What is wrong with Phineas' wife?
3. What is the outcome of the disaster on the farm?
4. What happens to Mehring as he is walking in the third pasture?
5. What does Mehring do while he is in the third pasture?
6. After speaking to Jacobus, what does Mehring wonder?
7. Describe the lives of the owners of the Indian Store.
8. How does Dorcas' husband handle the situation with the Indians?
9. What does Mehring learn about his son? Why is he upset?
10. Who does Mehring run into as he is getting coffee? What does he find shocking about this girl?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mehring walks down the reeds in the third pasture and gets his leg badly stuck in the mud.
Part 1) Describe the rest of this event.
Part 2) How does Mehring react to this event? Why?
Part 3) What does this event symbolize?
Essay Topic 2
A theme in this book is mortality.
Part 1) What is mortality? Give examples from the text that involve this theme.
Part 2) Why is this a theme of the book?
Part 3) How are the characters in this book affected by this theme?
Essay Topic 3
The dead man is finally given a proper burial.
Part 1) Describe this event.
Part 2) What does this burial signify?
Part 3) How can it potentially change the characters in the book?
This section contains 914 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)