|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mehring evade the funeral?
2. Who stops by the Indians' store?
3. What are Jacobus and Solomon planting in the field?
4. To what does Mehring compare getting his leg stuck, pulling to get it out, and then it just coming free?
5. Why does Mehring no longer have much to do with pig iron?
Short Essay Questions
1. After speaking to Jacobus, what does Mehring wonder?
2. What does Mehring learn about his son? Why is he upset?
3. How do the Indians react to Mehring being in their store?
4. What does Mehring do while he is in the third pasture?
5. How does Mehring feel about his farm?
6. Who does Mehring run into as he is getting coffee? What does he find shocking about this girl?
7. How does Jacobus handle the natural disaster without Mehring?
8. How does Dorcas' husband handle the situation with the Indians?
9. Describe the lives of the owners of the Indian Store.
10. What does the disaster mentioned in this chapter do to the land and people?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The fire makes Mehring think about what really is important in his life.
Part 1) Describe the affects of the fire.
Part 2) What does Mehring think about after the fire?
Part 3) How does the fire permanently change Mehring?
Essay Topic 2
Solomon is beat up badly by two men.
Part 1) Describe this scene.
Part 2) What are possible reasons for his abuse?
Part 3) Why does Solomon risk his life? Compare him with others in our society who also risk their lives for those they love.
Essay Topic 3
A theme in this book is mortality.
Part 1) What is mortality? Give examples from the text that involve this theme.
Part 2) Why is this a theme of the book?
Part 3) How are the characters in this book affected by this theme?
This section contains 954 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)