|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mehring send Jacobus down to do?
2. Why does Izak know the symbol Jalal is painting?
3. Why do the streets become impassible?
4. What are Jacobus and Solomon planting in the field?
5. What does Solomon think about, along with dying in the pasture?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the Indians think of the locals?
2. What can be found at the laborers' celebration?
3. Describe Mehring's thoughts about his son and Antonia's hypocrisy.
4. How does Mehring feel about his farm?
5. How does the disaster affect Mehring?
6. How does Dorcas' husband handle the situation with the Indians?
7. Where does Mehring end up after walking across the compound?
8. What happens to Mehring as he is walking in the third pasture?
9. Why is Jalal's father upset with what his son is painting?
10. Why can the orange river lilies now be seen?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mehring's relationship with Antonia is a love/hate affair.
Part 1) Describe Antonia.
Part 2) What does Mehring think about his relationship with Antonia?
Part 3) Why does Mehring continue to date Antonia?
Essay Topic 2
Jalal is painting peace signs that can be seen by the public.
Part 1) Why is Jalal painting peace signs?
Part 2) How does his father react? Why?
Part 3) What do the peace signs look like at the end of the story? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Mehring enjoys many aspects of the farm.
Part 1) Describe the farm.
Part 2) Why does Mehring own a farm?
Part 3) What does he love about the farm?
This section contains 821 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)