|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Antonia tell Mehring about his property?
2. Over what does Mehring muse?
3. What does Mehring think about as he walks through the property?
4. For what is the beer and goat meat?
5. What starts the rain storm?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the lives of the owners of the Indian Store.
2. What is Jalal painting?
3. How does Jacobus handle the natural disaster without Mehring?
4. Who does Mehring run into as he is getting coffee? What does he find shocking about this girl?
5. What does Mehring do, regarding the girl whose father had committed suicide?
6. How do the Indians react to Mehring being in their store?
7. What happens to Mehring as he is walking in the third pasture?
8. What does the disaster mentioned in this chapter do to the land and people?
9. What is wrong with Phineas' wife?
10. What do the Indians think of the locals?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A theme in this book is mortality.
Part 1) What is mortality? Give examples from the text that involve this theme.
Part 2) Why is this a theme of the book?
Part 3) How are the characters in this book affected by this theme?
Essay Topic 2
Mehring enjoys many aspects of the farm.
Part 1) Describe the farm.
Part 2) Why does Mehring own a farm?
Part 3) What does he love about the farm?
Essay Topic 3
Mehring's relationship with Antonia is a love/hate affair.
Part 1) Describe Antonia.
Part 2) What does Mehring think about his relationship with Antonia?
Part 3) Why does Mehring continue to date Antonia?
This section contains 933 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)