|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mehring also consider?
2. Why can Mehring not get to the farm for two weeks?
3. How does Mehring evade the funeral?
4. What are the farmhands becoming on Christmas day?
5. Why must Bismillah keep alert?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the farmhands spend Christmas day?
2. How does Mehring become intimate with a young girl on a plane?
3. Why can the orange river lilies now be seen?
4. What do the Indians think of the locals?
5. What happens to Mehring as he is walking in the third pasture?
6. How does Mehring feel about his farm?
7. What does Mehring do, regarding the girl whose father had committed suicide?
8. After speaking to Jacobus, what does Mehring wonder?
9. How does Dorcas' husband handle the situation with the Indians?
10. What is wrong with Phineas' wife?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The dead man is finally given a proper burial.
Part 1) Describe this event.
Part 2) What does this burial signify?
Part 3) How can it potentially change the characters in the book?
Essay Topic 2
Jalal is painting peace signs that can be seen by the public.
Part 1) Why is Jalal painting peace signs?
Part 2) How does his father react? Why?
Part 3) What do the peace signs look like at the end of the story? Why?
Essay Topic 3
The book sheds light on Mehring's relationship with women.
Part 1) Describe his relationship with Antonia.
Part 2) Describe two other incidences in the book in which Mehring comes into contact with women.
Part 3) Based on information from the text, what seems to be Mehring's opinion of women? Why?
This section contains 849 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)