|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Terry call from New York?
2. Why can no one find Mehring?
3. What does Solomon think about, along with dying in the pasture?
4. What streaks across the sky as Mehring reaches a stone outhouse?
5. What are Jacobus and Solomon planting in the field?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Mehring only charged with "interfering" with the girl and can easily make the issue disappear?
2. What is the outcome of the disaster on the farm?
3. Why is Jalal's father upset with what his son is painting?
4. After speaking to Jacobus, what does Mehring wonder?
5. How does Mehring become intimate with a young girl on a plane?
6. Why can the orange river lilies now be seen?
7. How does Dorcas' husband handle the situation with the Indians?
8. Describe the lives of the owners of the Indian Store.
9. What can be found at the laborers' celebration?
10. Where does Mehring end up after walking across the compound?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Solomon is beat up badly by two men.
Part 1) Describe this scene.
Part 2) What are possible reasons for his abuse?
Part 3) Why does Solomon risk his life? Compare him with others in our society who also risk their lives for those they love.
Essay Topic 2
The laborers have a celebration.
Part 1) Describe the celebration.
Part 2) Does Mehring take part in the celebration? Why or why not?
Part 3) Why is a celebration good for the laborers?
Essay Topic 3
Mehring has a close call under a bridge, which reminds us of one of Mehring's character flaws.
Part 1) What is this flaw?
Part 2) Mehring calls his son a hypocrite? How is he also a hypocrite?
Part 3) How are Mehing and Terry's flaws similar?
This section contains 820 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)