|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the farmhands becoming on Christmas day?
2. Why is Mehring upset with Terry?
3. What does Mehring realize about Jacobus?
4. Why is Mehring unable to get coffee at work?
5. Jacobus is frantic at not being able to contact his master. How does he handle the situation?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the outcome of the disaster on the farm?
2. How do the farmhands spend Christmas day?
3. What does Mehring learn about his son? Why is he upset?
4. Describe Mehring's thoughts about his son and Antonia's hypocrisy.
5. After speaking to Jacobus, what does Mehring wonder?
6. How does Mehring feel about his farm?
7. What is Jalal painting?
8. Describe the lives of the owners of the Indian Store.
9. What does the disaster mentioned in this chapter do to the land and people?
10. What does Mehring do, regarding the girl whose father had committed suicide?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mehring and his son Terry are very different, but also have some similarities.
Part 1) Describe Terry.
Part 2) How are Mehring and Terry different?
Part 3) What are the similarities between Mehring and Terry?
Essay Topic 2
A body is found on Mehring's farm.
Part 1) How do the authorities, Mehring, and the farmhands deal with the body?
Part 2) What do we know about this body?
Part 3) What does this body symbolize in this book?
Essay Topic 3
The concept of change is delved into throughout Chapter Seven.
Part 1) What are these changes?
Part 2) Choose one of these changes. Why is it important to the story?
Part 3) Choose another change. Why is it important to the story?
This section contains 856 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)