|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When is Mehring's only chance of seeing his son?
2. Why is Mehring easily able to make the issue with the young girl disappear?
3. Why are they so excited?
4. Why can no one find Mehring?
5. What is unusual about this storm?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mehring say about his hopes for his land when he dies? How does Antonia respond?
2. Why can the orange river lilies now be seen?
3. Describe Mehring's thoughts about his son and Antonia's hypocrisy.
4. How does Mehring become intimate with a young girl on a plane?
5. What does the disaster mentioned in this chapter do to the land and people?
6. What happens to Mehring as he is walking in the third pasture?
7. Who does Mehring run into as he is getting coffee? What does he find shocking about this girl?
8. What does Mehring learn about his son? Why is he upset?
9. Where does Mehring end up after walking across the compound?
10. After speaking to Jacobus, what does Mehring wonder?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The concept of change is delved into throughout Chapter Seven.
Part 1) What are these changes?
Part 2) Choose one of these changes. Why is it important to the story?
Part 3) Choose another change. Why is it important to the story?
Essay Topic 2
A theme in this book is mortality.
Part 1) What is mortality? Give examples from the text that involve this theme.
Part 2) Why is this a theme of the book?
Part 3) How are the characters in this book affected by this theme?
Essay Topic 3
The owners of the Indian Store live in constant fear.
Part 1) Why?
Part 2) Describe their living conditions.
Part 3) Compare and contrast these illegal immigrants to illegal immigrants found in the United States.
This section contains 880 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)