|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mehring evade the funeral?
2. Who is the man with Mehring that Mehring is thinking about?
3. What does Antonia tell Mehring about his property?
4. Why does Mehring take the opportunity to put his hand on the young girl's thigh?
5. Where does Mehring fall asleep?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A body is found on Mehring's farm.
Part 1) How do the authorities, Mehring, and the farmhands deal with the body?
Part 2) What do we know about this body?
Part 3) What does this body symbolize in this book?
Essay Topic 2
Mehring is the protagonist in this book.
Part 1) Describe Mehring.
Part 2) How does his character change throughout the book?
Part 3) Compare and contrast Mehring at the beginning of the book to Mehring at the end.
Essay Topic 3
Mehring and his son Terry are very different, but also have some similarities.
Part 1) Describe Terry.
Part 2) How are Mehring and Terry different?
Part 3) What are the similarities between Mehring and Terry?
This section contains 1,008 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)