|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of what do the Indians have an inevitable feeling?
2. Why does Bismillah pace the outside perimeter of the compound?
3. What does Solomon ask Jacobus?
4. What happens to a couple when a torrent at a small gully turns into a sudden flood?
5. With what is Mehring charged, regarding the young girl on the plane?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Jalal's father upset with what his son is painting?
2. What happens to Mehring as he is walking in the third pasture?
3. Who does Mehring run into as he is getting coffee? What does he find shocking about this girl?
4. What is the outcome of the disaster on the farm?
5. Why can the orange river lilies now be seen?
6. What do the Indians think of the locals?
7. How does Jacobus handle the natural disaster without Mehring?
8. How does Mehring feel about his farm?
9. What is Jalal painting?
10. What is wrong with Phineas' wife?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A body is found on Mehring's farm.
Part 1) How do the authorities, Mehring, and the farmhands deal with the body?
Part 2) What do we know about this body?
Part 3) What does this body symbolize in this book?
Essay Topic 2
The book sheds light on Mehring's relationship with women.
Part 1) Describe his relationship with Antonia.
Part 2) Describe two other incidences in the book in which Mehring comes into contact with women.
Part 3) Based on information from the text, what seems to be Mehring's opinion of women? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Solomon is beat up badly by two men.
Part 1) Describe this scene.
Part 2) What are possible reasons for his abuse?
Part 3) Why does Solomon risk his life? Compare him with others in our society who also risk their lives for those they love.
This section contains 918 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)