|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to a couple when a torrent at a small gully turns into a sudden flood?
2. What does Mehring find in Terry's backpack?
3. Why do people feel sorry for Phineas?
4. What do the father and son at the store immediately do when they see Mehring?
5. What streaks across the sky as Mehring reaches a stone outhouse?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Mehring as he is walking in the third pasture?
2. How does the disaster affect Mehring?
3. How does Dorcas' husband handle the situation with the Indians?
4. What is the outcome of the disaster on the farm?
5. What does Mehring do, regarding the girl whose father had committed suicide?
6. What does Mehring learn about his son? Why is he upset?
7. Describe Mehring's thoughts about his son and Antonia's hypocrisy.
8. How does Jacobus handle the natural disaster without Mehring?
9. What do the Indians think of the locals?
10. Describe the lives of the owners of the Indian Store.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The book sheds light on Mehring's relationship with women.
Part 1) Describe his relationship with Antonia.
Part 2) Describe two other incidences in the book in which Mehring comes into contact with women.
Part 3) Based on information from the text, what seems to be Mehring's opinion of women? Why?
Essay Topic 2
The dead man is finally given a proper burial.
Part 1) Describe this event.
Part 2) What does this burial signify?
Part 3) How can it potentially change the characters in the book?
Essay Topic 3
The fire makes Mehring think about what really is important in his life.
Part 1) Describe the affects of the fire.
Part 2) What does Mehring think about after the fire?
Part 3) How does the fire permanently change Mehring?
This section contains 950 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)