|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the Indians allow local blacks to shop?
2. Why do people feel sorry for Phineas?
3. Jacobus is frantic at not being able to contact his master. How does he handle the situation?
4. Who is the man with Mehring that Mehring is thinking about?
5. What does Mehring notice about awakening on the farm?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Mehring only charged with "interfering" with the girl and can easily make the issue disappear?
2. After speaking to Jacobus, what does Mehring wonder?
3. How does Mehring feel about his farm?
4. How does Jacobus handle the natural disaster without Mehring?
5. What does Mehring learn about his son? Why is he upset?
6. What does Mehring do while he is in the third pasture?
7. What is the outcome of the disaster on the farm?
8. What is Jalal painting?
9. What is wrong with Phineas' wife?
10. How do the Indians react to Mehring being in their store?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author strongly hints at "something large" being unearthed by the flood.
Part 1) What is literally being unearthed? Why?
Part 2) What is figuratively being unearthed?
Part 3) How are both of the events handled by Mehring and his farmhands?
Essay Topic 2
Jalal is painting peace signs that can be seen by the public.
Part 1) Why is Jalal painting peace signs?
Part 2) How does his father react? Why?
Part 3) What do the peace signs look like at the end of the story? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Mehring goes to the Indian Store to purchase gifts.
Part 1) How do the Indians treat him?
Part 2) Why do they treat him this way?
Part 3) How does he react to their treatment?
This section contains 787 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)