|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Antonia not believe about Mehring?
2. What do Mehring, Jacobus and a farmhand try and repair?
3. What does Mehring do when he returns to the farmhouse?
4. Why does Antonia distance herself from Mehring?
5. Where does Mehring lie down and fall asleep?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is known about the corpse?
2. Describe Antonia.
3. What is wrong with the river?
4. Why does Mehring buy the farm?
5. What destruction has the fire caused?
6. Who is Antonia?
7. Why do Mehring and his son argue?
8. Mehring has many regrets. What three of them be?
9. What does Mehring believe is the cause for the fire?
10. What is the path of the fire?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mehring is the protagonist in this book.
Part 1) Describe Mehring.
Part 2) How does his character change throughout the book?
Part 3) Compare and contrast Mehring at the beginning of the book to Mehring at the end.
Essay Topic 2
The laborers have a celebration.
Part 1) Describe the celebration.
Part 2) Does Mehring take part in the celebration? Why or why not?
Part 3) Why is a celebration good for the laborers?
Essay Topic 3
Jalal is painting peace signs that can be seen by the public.
Part 1) Why is Jalal painting peace signs?
Part 2) How does his father react? Why?
Part 3) What do the peace signs look like at the end of the story? Why?
This section contains 652 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)