|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Mehring lie down and fall asleep?
2. What makes Mehring's irrigation efforts almost useless?
3. What do the police tell Mehring will happen in the next several days?
4. What is one of Mehring's many regrets?
5. How is Mehring's relationship with his girlfriend?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do they handle Solomon's situation?
2. Mehring has many regrets. What three of them be?
3. Describe the environment at the beginning of this chapter.
4. What might be the reason for Mehring's thoughts of his sixteen-year-old son?
5. How do the Indians feel about the police investigation?
6. What do Mehring's business peers think about his farm?
7. Who is Antonia?
8. What is wrong with the river?
9. Why does Mehring buy the farm?
10. What does Jacobus do when he finds a dead body? Where does he find it? What does Mehring do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mehring has a close call under a bridge, which reminds us of one of Mehring's character flaws.
Part 1) What is this flaw?
Part 2) Mehring calls his son a hypocrite? How is he also a hypocrite?
Part 3) How are Mehing and Terry's flaws similar?
Essay Topic 2
The concept of change is delved into throughout Chapter Seven.
Part 1) What are these changes?
Part 2) Choose one of these changes. Why is it important to the story?
Part 3) Choose another change. Why is it important to the story?
Essay Topic 3
Mehring walks down the reeds in the third pasture and gets his leg badly stuck in the mud.
Part 1) Describe the rest of this event.
Part 2) How does Mehring react to this event? Why?
Part 3) What does this event symbolize?
This section contains 699 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)