|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do they take Solomon?
2. Who leads the conversation?
3. Why do people dig through piles of garbage?
4. What does Jacobus assume is the reason for the incident involving Solomon?
5. Where does Jacobus tell Mehring they found a dead man?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Merhring?
2. What does Mehring think about as he is resting on the couch?
3. Who are Kurt and Emmy?
4. How do the Indians feel about the police investigation?
5. What do we learn about Mehring's family?
6. What might be the reason for Mehring's thoughts of his sixteen-year-old son?
7. Why does Solomon leave the compound?
8. What does Jacobus learn about available work for the men?
9. How do they handle Solomon's situation?
10. What do the children say about the attack on Solomon?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mehring goes to the Indian Store to purchase gifts.
Part 1) How do the Indians treat him?
Part 2) Why do they treat him this way?
Part 3) How does he react to their treatment?
Essay Topic 2
The book sheds light on Mehring's relationship with women.
Part 1) Describe his relationship with Antonia.
Part 2) Describe two other incidences in the book in which Mehring comes into contact with women.
Part 3) Based on information from the text, what seems to be Mehring's opinion of women? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Mehring's relationship with Antonia is a love/hate affair.
Part 1) Describe Antonia.
Part 2) What does Mehring think about his relationship with Antonia?
Part 3) Why does Mehring continue to date Antonia?
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)