|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why are they so excited?
(a) Meat is rare in the laborers' diet.
(b) There is plenty of beer.
(c) They love to dance.
(d) They do not get much time off.
2. Why do people feel sorry for Phineas?
(a) His wife is unpopular.
(b) His house is burned in the fire.
(c) He just lost his job.
(d) He has no friends.
3. How is Phineas' wife acting strangely?
(a) She is dancing around drunkenly.
(b) She is arguing with everyone at the party.
(c) She had been having dreams and thinks she is turning into an animal.
(d) She is alone in a corner of the room talking to herself.
4. What does Antonia tell Mehring about his property?
(a) The blacks will repossess his land within a generation.
(b) He should pass it on to his son when he dies.
(c) It does not look as nice as it did before the fire.
(d) He should buy more property.
5. What does Mehring notice about awakening on the farm?
(a) How warm it has become.
(b) He feels more awake than at his apartment in the city.
(c) He likes it better when Antonia is with him.
(d) The sunshine is bright in his window.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Jacobus act as doctor?
2. Why do Jacobus and Mehring talk about cattle?
3. Why does Mehring stop by the Indians' store to get a Christmas present for Jacobus and his staff?
4. For what is the beer and goat meat?
5. Who stops by the Indians' store?
Short Essay Questions
1. After speaking to Jacobus, what does Mehring wonder?
2. How does Dorcas' husband handle the situation with the Indians?
3. Why is Jalal's father upset with what his son is painting?
4. What does Mehring do, regarding the girl whose father had committed suicide?
5. How does Jacobus handle the natural disaster without Mehring?
6. What can be found at the laborers' celebration?
7. Where does Mehring end up after walking across the compound?
8. What does the disaster mentioned in this chapter do to the land and people?
9. How does Mehring become intimate with a young girl on a plane?
10. How does the disaster affect Mehring?
This section contains 910 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)