|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Mehring unable to get coffee at work?
(a) He did not bring money to buy coffee.
(b) They do not serve coffee.
(c) It is early.
(d) The ran out.
2. What protects the Indians' fortified enclosure?
(a) Fences, roofs and dogs.
(b) A high-tech security system.
(d) Mehring's farmhands.
3. What does Mehring think would be more appropriate to plant?
(d) Indigenous trees.
4. What does Mehring find annoying about the Indians?
(a) They are not very helpful.
(b) They do not work fast enough.
(c) They do not treat him with respect.
(d) They put on the charm.
5. What does Mehring do as he watches the storm?
(a) Talks to Jacobus.
(b) Reads a book.
(c) Takes photographs.
(d) Drinks the whiskey.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Solomon find at the celebration?
2. Why do the streets become impassible?
3. How do the Indians hope to keep officials at bay?
4. What does Antonia tell Mehring about his property?
5. Why can no one find Mehring?
Short Essay Questions
1. After speaking to Jacobus, what does Mehring wonder?
2. Who does Mehring run into as he is getting coffee? What does he find shocking about this girl?
3. How is Mehring only charged with "interfering" with the girl and can easily make the issue disappear?
4. Why can the orange river lilies now be seen?
5. What does Mehring say about his hopes for his land when he dies? How does Antonia respond?
6. Describe Mehring's thoughts about his son and Antonia's hypocrisy.
7. What does Mehring do, regarding the girl whose father had committed suicide?
8. How does the disaster affect Mehring?
9. Where does Mehring end up after walking across the compound?
10. How do the Indians react to Mehring being in their store?
This section contains 760 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)