|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Mehring ride in tourist class on a plane ride from Lisbon?
(a) He does not have the money to purchase a first class seat.
(b) There is no room in first class.
(c) He enjoys getting to know the locals.
(d) There is no first class on the plane.
2. What does Mehring think would be more appropriate to plant?
(c) Indigenous trees.
3. What does Mehring also consider?
(a) Buying gifts for all the men.
(b) Bonuses for the men.
(c) Giving Jacobus a bonus.
(d) Selling the farm.
4. What does Mehring send Jacobus down to do?
(a) Survey the damage.
(b) Move the cattle to a different field.
(c) Start draining some of the trapped water.
(d) Help the couple stuck in their car.
5. Why do the Indians allow local blacks to shop?
(a) They like to cheat them out of their money.
(b) They are the store's main customers.
(c) They are perfectly safe and harmless.
(d) They fear the locals.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Mehring get his leg stuck?
2. What does Solomon think about, along with dying in the pasture?
3. Why does Bismillah pace the outside perimeter of the compound?
4. What do the father and son at the store immediately do when they see Mehring?
5. What is Jalal painting?
Short Essay Questions
1. What can be found at the laborers' celebration?
2. Why is Jalal's father upset with what his son is painting?
3. How does the disaster affect Mehring?
4. What does Mehring learn about his son? Why is he upset?
5. How does Mehring feel about his farm?
6. What is wrong with Phineas' wife?
7. What is the outcome of the disaster on the farm?
8. Describe the lives of the owners of the Indian Store.
9. Where does Mehring end up after walking across the compound?
10. How does Mehring become intimate with a young girl on a plane?
This section contains 917 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)