|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Mehring take the opportunity to put his hand on the young girl's thigh?
(a) He thinks she is his wife.
(b) He is bored.
(c) They accidentally touch hands.
(d) He wants to scare her.
2. Over what does Mehring muse?
(a) The suicide of the girl's father.
(b) The running of his farm.
(c) His relationship with Antonia.
(d) His uncaring son.
3. How do people attempt to stay dry?
(a) They carry plastic sheets.
(b) They carry umbrellas.
(c) They wear raincoats.
(d) They stay in their homes.
4. What is wrong with the goat meat?
(a) It is spoiled.
(b) There is not enough to go around.
(c) It falls on the ground.
(d) It is uncooked.
5. What does Mehring notice about awakening on the farm?
(a) The sunshine is bright in his window.
(b) How warm it has become.
(c) He likes it better when Antonia is with him.
(d) He feels more awake than at his apartment in the city.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the farmhands becoming on Christmas day?
2. What streaks across the sky as Mehring reaches a stone outhouse?
3. How does Jacobus act as doctor?
4. When is Mehring's only chance of seeing his son?
5. How is Phineas' wife acting strangely?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the disaster mentioned in this chapter do to the land and people?
2. What does Mehring do while he is in the third pasture?
3. What is Jalal painting?
4. What do the Indians think of the locals?
5. What does Mehring do, regarding the girl whose father had committed suicide?
6. How do the farmhands spend Christmas day?
7. What is the outcome of the disaster on the farm?
8. Who does Mehring run into as he is getting coffee? What does he find shocking about this girl?
9. Where does Mehring end up after walking across the compound?
10. How does Jacobus handle the natural disaster without Mehring?
This section contains 859 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)