|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Mehring furious that the police borrowed a shovel from Jacobus?
(a) It is now bent.
(b) It is dirty.
(c) He cannot find it.
(d) To bury the body at the site.
2. On closer inspection, what does Jacobus discover about Solomon?
(a) He is dead.
(b) He is breathing.
(c) He is sick.
(d) He is dying.
3. While he thinks of their sexual liaisons, what does Mehring realize about Antonia?
(a) How much she thinks of herself.
(b) She is very kind.
(c) How much she loves him.
(d) She is unselfish.
4. Why does Antonia taunt Mehring?
(a) She enjoys making others feel inferior.
(b) He annoys her.
(c) He is a socialist, while she is a capitalist.
(d) He works in the city as a pig-iron dealer.
5. Why does Mehring tear up the letter from his son?
(a) He is upset that his son is so far away.
(b) His son's hypocrisy disgusts him.
(c) He knows that the boy is not his son.
(d) He and his son do not get along.
Short Answer Questions
1. Describe Terry's personality.
2. Why does Antonia distance herself from Mehring?
3. What else does Mehring worry about when he looks out the windows?
4. Why do people dig through piles of garbage?
5. How do Mehring's business peers feel out his "hobby" farm?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Antonia?
2. What does Jacobus learn about available work for the men?
3. Who are Kurt and Emmy?
4. What is wrong with the river?
5. Why does Mehring buy the farm?
6. What does Mehring believe is the cause for the fire?
7. What do the farmhands think about what happened to Solomon?
8. How do the Indians feel about the police investigation?
9. What does Mehring think about as he is resting on the couch?
10. Why does Solomon leave the compound?
This section contains 719 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)