|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Mehring roams his four-hundred-acre property, where does he always end up?
(a) At the third pasture, where the reeds are.
(b) In the barn.
(c) At the spare farmhouse.
(d) Back at his farmhouse.
2. What do the police tell Mehring will happen in the next several days?
(a) A funeral will be held for the person found on Mehring's property.
(b) The body will be relocated once the mortuary van becomes available.
(c) The police will hunt for the murderer.
(d) He will be investigated for the murder of this person.
3. Why is Mehring furious that the police borrowed a shovel from Jacobus?
(a) To bury the body at the site.
(b) It is now bent.
(c) It is dirty.
(d) He cannot find it.
4. How does Mehring feel about the policeman's reassurances that it will not reflect badly on him?
(a) He is unconcerned.
(b) He is very worried.
(c) He is somewhat assuaged.
(d) He is confident.
5. What is Antonia shocked to learn about Mehring?
(a) He has a wife and small child in Johannesburg.
(b) He killed the man that was found by the river.
(c) He has a nearly grown son, and his wife left him and moved to New York.
(d) He owns a farm, while working as a businessman.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mehring become annoyed with the police?
2. From whom does he receive an unexpected phone call and visit?
3. About what do they speak?
4. Who has not been seen for several days?
5. Why does Mehring buy the farm?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Merhring?
2. Describe the environment at the beginning of this chapter.
3. Why is Jacobus angry, regarding Izak?
4. What does Jacobus do when he finds a dead body? Where does he find it? What does Mehring do?
5. Why do Mehring and his son argue?
6. Who calls unexpectedly? What do they discuss with Mehring?
7. What do we learn about Mehring's family?
8. What do Mehring's business peers think about his farm?
9. Why does Solomon leave the compound?
10. What is the path of the fire?
This section contains 810 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)