|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Jacobus call as the men look on skeptically and somewhat fearfully?
(a) Mehring at the farm.
(c) The police.
(d) William at the Indian Store.
2. Where is Mehring's son, Terry?
(a) Away at college.
(b) On the farm with Mehring.
(c) In Johannesburg with his mother.
(d) In the United States with his mother.
3. Why are several of the Indians at the store worried?
(a) The police will uncover the fact that they are in the country illegally.
(b) The police will raid their store to find clues to the murder.
(c) The police will charge them with murder because they are part of an ethnic minority.
(d) They fear the murderer will return.
4. How is Mehring's relationship with his girlfriend?
(a) A trusting relationship.
(b) A loving relationship.
(c) A "love / hate" relationship.
(d) A comfortable relationship.
5. What blows garbage from the camps and industrial sites into the air?
(a) Large fans.
(b) August winds.
(c) An east wind.
(d) Ocean winds.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Mehring lie down and fall asleep?
2. How do the police handle problems in the shantytowns?
3. What else does he note about the corpse?
4. Describe Terry's personality.
5. How does Mehring's farm look?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the farmhands think about what happened to Solomon?
2. Why is Mehring unconcerned about the river?
3. What destruction has the fire caused?
4. What is wrong with the river?
5. Why do Mehring and his son argue?
6. Who calls unexpectedly? What do they discuss with Mehring?
7. What does Mehring think about as he is resting on the couch?
8. What might be the reason for Mehring's thoughts of his sixteen-year-old son?
9. What is known about the corpse?
10. Describe the environment at the beginning of this chapter.
This section contains 702 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)