|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do people attempt to stay dry?
(a) They carry umbrellas.
(b) They wear raincoats.
(c) They carry plastic sheets.
(d) They stay in their homes.
2. When they land at Johannesburg, after some polite conversation, what does the young girl do?
(a) She asks his name.
(b) She asks for his phone number.
(c) She joins her family.
(d) Screams out and runs to her mother.
3. What does Mehring notice about the orange river lilies?
(a) They are not as plentiful as before the fire.
(b) They are blooming in fiery splendor at the riverbank.
(c) They are the same color as Antonia's hair.
(d) They are growing where Solomon is found.
4. Why does Terry call from New York?
(a) To wish Mehring happy birthday.
(b) To say happy New Year.
(c) To say he arrived safely.
(d) To tell his father he will not be returning.
5. How might the owners of the Indian Store lose all they have worked for?
(a) A river flood in the spring.
(b) The De Beer fire that spread throughout the county.
(c) Theft by the locals and confiscation or eviction by the government.
(d) Mehring cheats them of their money and prevents locals to purchase goods.
6. What does Mehring find in Terry's backpack?
(a) A photograph of his mother.
(b) Illegal drugs.
(c) A plane ticket to the United States.
(d) A publication published by "The Campaign for Homosexual Equality."
7. What protects the Indians' fortified enclosure?
(a) A high-tech security system.
(b) Fences, roofs and dogs.
(c) Mehring's farmhands.
8. When is Mehring's only chance of seeing his son?
(a) If his ex-wife brings her son back.
(b) He has no chance of seeing him.
(c) If he leaves the country to visit him.
(d) If his son decides to return to South Africa.
9. With whom does Mehring walk through the property?
10. What does Mehring find annoying about the Indians?
(a) They do not work fast enough.
(b) They put on the charm.
(c) They are not very helpful.
(d) They do not treat him with respect.
11. What is Jalal painting?
(a) The windmill and water tank.
(b) Mehring's home.
(c) The Indian Store.
(d) His car.
12. Who is the man with Mehring that Mehring is thinking about?
(d) The dead man.
13. What will Terry be missing by staying in the United States with his mother?
(a) Mandatory military service.
(b) His father.
(c) College in South Africa.
(d) The opportunity to take over the farm.
14. With what is Mehring charged, regarding the young girl on the plane?
(a) "Child abuse."
(b) "Sexual assault."
(c) "Sexual harassment."
15. What does Mehring think would be more appropriate to plant?
(c) Indigenous trees.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the Indians allow local blacks to shop?
2. Why is Mehring easily able to make the issue with the young girl disappear?
3. What is unusual about this storm?
4. Why does Mehring no longer have much to do with pig iron?
5. What is the symbol Jalal is painting?
This section contains 570 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)