|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do Jacobus and Mehring talk about cattle?
(a) Cattle are important on the farm.
(b) It is an important topic to discuss.
(c) It is the one thing they really have in common.
(d) That is Jacobus' job.
2. What is unusual about this storm?
(a) It blows through quickly.
(b) It has no thunder or rain.
(c) It is very powerful.
(d) It has no rain.
3. What does Mehring notice about the orange river lilies?
(a) They are not as plentiful as before the fire.
(b) They are the same color as Antonia's hair.
(c) They are growing where Solomon is found.
(d) They are blooming in fiery splendor at the riverbank.
4. What are the farmhands becoming on Christmas day?
5. What starts the rain storm?
(a) A warm front.
(b) A cyclone.
(c) A cold front.
(d) El Nino.
6. Why can no one find Mehring?
(a) He is in the deep grass of the third pasture.
(b) He is by the river.
(c) He is in his room with the door locked.
(d) He is in the cellar.
7. In what car do Mehring and his son ride?
(a) A BMW.
(b) A Mercedes.
(c) A Ford.
(d) A Volvo.
8. What does Mehring find annoying about the Indians?
(a) They do not treat him with respect.
(b) They put on the charm.
(c) They do not work fast enough.
(d) They are not very helpful.
9. What will Terry be missing by staying in the United States with his mother?
(a) Mandatory military service.
(b) His father.
(c) The opportunity to take over the farm.
(d) College in South Africa.
10. What do the Indians allow black laborers to do?
(a) Stock the store.
(b) Create advertisments for the store.
(c) Work in the store.
(d) Fix holes in the fence.
11. What are Jacobus and Solomon planting in the field?
(a) Small chestnut seedlings.
(b) Native plants.
(c) Oak trees.
12. Why does Izak know the symbol Jalal is painting?
(a) He has seen it on television.
(b) The symbol can be seen around town.
(c) He has painted it himself.
(d) He has seen it on shirts and cars.
13. What happens after the rain diminishes for a morning?
(a) Full tropical torrential rains come down.
(b) It turns into hail.
(c) The rain turns to snow.
(d) It continues at a steady pace.
14. Why is Mehring upset with Terry?
(a) Terry will not take over the farm.
(b) Terry does not have the nerve to tell him in person that he is staying in the United States.
(c) Terry will no longer be near him.
(d) Terry moved to the United States.
15. What do the father and son at the store immediately do when they see Mehring?
(a) Pretend to be busy.
(b) Stare at Mehring.
(c) Jump into action.
(d) Complain about working too hard.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is wrong with the goat meat?
2. What does Mehring find in Terry's backpack?
3. With whom does Mehring walk through the property?
4. For what is the beer and goat meat?
5. Where does Mehring fall asleep?
This section contains 528 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)