|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Izak know the symbol Jalal is painting?
(a) He has seen it on shirts and cars.
(b) The symbol can be seen around town.
(c) He has seen it on television.
(d) He has painted it himself.
2. Of what do the Indians have an inevitable feeling?
(a) A government official with the power to shut them down and evict them for good.
(b) The locals will destroy their store.
(c) Their lawyers will cheat them out of their money.
(d) Mehring will have them closed down.
3. What streaks across the sky as Mehring reaches a stone outhouse?
(a) Heat lightning.
(b) A comet.
(c) A plane.
(d) A shooting star.
4. How might the owners of the Indian Store lose all they have worked for?
(a) Theft by the locals and confiscation or eviction by the government.
(b) A river flood in the spring.
(c) Mehring cheats them of their money and prevents locals to purchase goods.
(d) The De Beer fire that spread throughout the county.
5. With what is Mehring charged, regarding the young girl on the plane?
(b) "Sexual assault."
(c) "Sexual harassment."
(d) "Child abuse."
6. Why does Mehring ride in tourist class on a plane ride from Lisbon?
(a) He enjoys getting to know the locals.
(b) There is no room in first class.
(c) There is no first class on the plane.
(d) He does not have the money to purchase a first class seat.
7. Jacobus is frantic at not being able to contact his master. How does he handle the situation?
(a) Not well.
(b) Fairly well.
(d) Somewhat well.
8. When is Mehring's only chance of seeing his son?
(a) If his son decides to return to South Africa.
(b) If his ex-wife brings her son back.
(c) If he leaves the country to visit him.
(d) He has no chance of seeing him.
9. With whom does Mehring walk through the property?
10. Why does Terry call from New York?
(a) To tell his father he will not be returning.
(b) To say happy New Year.
(c) To say he arrived safely.
(d) To wish Mehring happy birthday.
11. Where does Mehring get his leg stuck?
(a) In the third pasture mud.
(b) In a car door.
(c) In the fence.
(d) Through a broken floor board.
12. Why do the streets become impassible?
(a) The water is running across the streets.
(b) Bridges have collapsed.
(c) The police have them block of for safety reasons.
(d) Dirt streets turn to mud.
13. Why do Jacobus and Mehring talk about cattle?
(a) That is Jacobus' job.
(b) It is the one thing they really have in common.
(c) It is an important topic to discuss.
(d) Cattle are important on the farm.
14. Why must Bismillah keep alert?
(a) The lawyers may cheat them out of their money.
(b) The locals often cannot count the money they shove at him.
(c) The fire has spread from De Beer's property.
(d) The government may come looking for them.
15. Why can the orange river lilies be seen?
(a) The farmhands have planted more this year.
(b) They have grown larger than in the past.
(c) The fire has made this viewing possible.
(d) They are in a different location from the previous summer.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do people attempt to stay dry?
2. Why does Mehring no longer have much to do with pig iron?
3. What does Mehring think about as he walks through the property?
4. Why is William in an argument with a woman named Dorcas?
5. What does Mehring find annoying about the Indians?
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)