|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do people dig through piles of garbage?
(a) To look for clothing.
(b) To find lost items.
(c) To look for anything of value.
(d) To find food.
2. Why is Mehring not a true farmer?
(a) He does not make a profit off of his farm.
(b) He does not own the farm.
(c) He is a citizen of the city.
(d) He knows nothing about farming.
3. To what "business" does Mehring try to go back?
(a) Training horses.
(b) Chasing ferrel dogs off his property.
(c) Farming his land.
(d) Stopping some boys from taking native hen's eggs.
4. How does Mehring reach the police?
(a) Sends Jacobus to tell them.
(b) Sends them a telegraph.
(c) On the party line telephone.
(d) On a walkie-talkie.
5. Where is Jacobus' meeting being held?
(a) A barn.
(b) In town at a local pub.
(c) Jacobus' home.
(d) The spare farmhouse.
6. From whom does he receive an unexpected phone call and visit?
(a) The De Beer family.
(b) The police.
(c) His girlfriend.
(d) His family.
7. Why does Mehring tear up the letter from his son?
(a) He knows that the boy is not his son.
(b) He is upset that his son is so far away.
(c) His son's hypocrisy disgusts him.
(d) He and his son do not get along.
8. How does Mehring feel when he wakes up?
(b) Momentarily confused,
(d) Wide awake.
9. What does Mehring own?
(a) A large home in the city.
(b) A zoo in Cambodia.
(c) An automobile dealership in Australia.
(d) A farm in rural South Africa.
10. What does Terry not seem to realize about the South African "system" he mocks?
(a) It is the same one that pays for him and his mother's lifestyle.
(b) Terry's father works for that system.
(c) It is not as flawed as he believes it to be.
(d) It is the best system on the continent of Africa.
11. How does Mehring's farm look?
12. Why does Mehring buy the farm?
(a) His family loves to visit him at the farm.
(b) It is a relaxing oasis from the business world in which he works.
(c) He thinks it would make a great place to bring a woman.
(d) He enjoys farming and being in nature.
13. What does Antonia not believe about Mehring?
(a) He has a wife.
(b) His mail is confidential.
(c) The farm belongs to him.
(d) He has a son.
14. Who does Jacobus call as the men look on skeptically and somewhat fearfully?
(b) William at the Indian Store.
(c) Mehring at the farm.
(d) The police.
15. How does Mehring feel as he takes in the scene: river, reeds and willows?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are several of the Indians at the store worried?
2. Besides passing through the city, what else must Mehring drive through to get to his property?
3. Where is Mehring's son, Terry?
4. How do Mehring's business peers feel out his "hobby" farm?
5. How many generations of his unexpected visitors are present?
This section contains 555 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)