|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long has there been a drought?
(a) One year.
(b) Six years.
(c) Eight years.
(d) Four years.
2. What does Jacobus reassure the men who do not have proper work papers?
(a) He will get work papers for them.
(b) He can help them work in town.
(c) They will not be caught.
(d) He will protect them.
3. What does Mehring make himself at the farmhouse?
(a) Some lunch.
(b) A scrapbook.
(c) New furniture.
(d) A hammock.
4. Why does Mehring not need water?
(a) He has his own well system.
(b) He has another river he uses.
(c) He has his own water tower.
(d) He purchases water from town.
5. Where does Jacobus tell Mehring they found a dead man?
(a) Near a mine.
(b) In his home.
(c) In a field.
(d) Near the river.
6. What does Solomon do after he questions the men?
(a) He runs away from the men.
(b) He ignores them and goes back to sleep.
(c) He goes to the police to let them know about the suspicious men.
(d) He reluctantly rises from bed and follows them out into the night.
7. How does Mehring's farm look?
8. Why does Mehring tear up the letter from his son?
(a) His son's hypocrisy disgusts him.
(b) He knows that the boy is not his son.
(c) He and his son do not get along.
(d) He is upset that his son is so far away.
9. What makes Mehring's irrigation efforts almost useless?
(a) The wind.
(b) The lack of assistance by his farmhands.
(c) The lack of water.
(d) The burning fire.
10. Where does Mehring do after returning from his trip?
(a) Begins plowing the fields.
(b) Looks for thieves.
(c) Takes a nap on a hammock.
(d) Takes a walk by the river.
11. Where do they take Solomon?
(b) To the hospital.
(c) To a friend's home.
(d) To Mehring's.
12. Who has not been seen for several days?
(b) Solomon's brother.
(c) Solomon's mother.
13. What does Mehring think he should do but know he will not do?
(a) Call his son.
(b) Clean up from the fire.
(c) Write a letter.
(d) Sell the farm.
14. How does Mehring feel as he takes in the scene: river, reeds and willows?
15. Why does Antonia distance herself from Mehring?
(a) So that she can stay emotionally unattached.
(b) She wants to end the relationship.
(c) She does not care for him.
(d) She is married.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who leads the conversation?
2. Who does Jacobus call as the men look on skeptically and somewhat fearfully?
3. How is Solomon when Jacobus finds him?
4. While he thinks of their sexual liaisons, what does Mehring realize about Antonia?
5. Why does Mehring go back to the farmhouse?
This section contains 498 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)