|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What else does Mehring worry about when he looks out the windows?
(a) The loss of his cattle.
(b) The safety of his farmhands.
(c) The possible loss of the water birds.
(d) When Antonia will return.
2. Who takes credit for putting out the fire?
(b) De Beer.
3. Describe Terry's personality.
4. What does Jacobus assume is the reason for the incident involving Solomon?
(a) The men accidently beat up the wrong man.
(b) He is protecting his brother who is a member of a gang.
(c) Creditors beat him up because his brother owed someone money.
(d) He is involved in a drug deal gone bad.
5. What do the bad spirits haunt?
(a) The third pasture where Solomon was found.
(b) The town.
(c) Jacobus' home.
(d) Mehring's house.
6. What aspect of the farm does Mehring like?
(a) The animals and plants.
(b) The fields.
(c) The hired help.
(d) It is secluded and has no pesky witnesses.
7. What else does he note about the corpse?
(a) It has fairly nice clothes.
(b) It is female.
(c) It looks old.
(d) It has old, dirty clothing.
8. What is one of Mehring's many regrets?
(a) Allowing his wife to move to the United States.
(b) Not marrying Antonia.
(c) Not taking the time to do "father" things with Terry.
(d) Letting his son go away to college.
9. Why is Mehring furious that the police borrowed a shovel from Jacobus?
(a) To bury the body at the site.
(b) It is now bent.
(c) He cannot find it.
(d) It is dirty.
10. What makes the dust-filled air worse?
(a) Passing cars.
(c) Pollution from oil refineries.
11. Why do people dig through piles of garbage?
(a) To find lost items.
(b) To find food.
(c) To look for anything of value.
(d) To look for clothing.
12. Where does Jacobus tell Mehring they found a dead man?
(a) Near a mine.
(b) Near the river.
(c) In a field.
(d) In his home.
13. What does Mehring make himself at the farmhouse?
(a) A hammock.
(b) Some lunch.
(c) New furniture.
(d) A scrapbook.
14. How does Antonia act mysteriously?
(a) By not naming her friends, like some secret agent.
(b) She does not tell Mehring about her life.
(c) She will not give Mehring her phone number.
(d) Mehring does not know where she lives.
15. What makes Mehring's irrigation efforts almost useless?
(a) The burning fire.
(b) The lack of water.
(c) The lack of assistance by his farmhands.
(d) The wind.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mehring despair about in the spare farmhouse?
2. Where does Jacobus find Solomon?
3. On first glance, what does Jacobus think about Solomon?
4. What does Antonia say wistfully to Mehring?
5. How is Solomon when Jacobus finds him?
This section contains 499 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)