|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Jacobus recommend Mehring attempt to preserve the body?
(a) Lay the remains in the cellar.
(b) Put the remains in the large freezer in the barn.
(c) Call a taxidermist to preserve the remains.
(d) Cover the remains and make sure to keep any stray dogs away.
2. Who does Mehring think about as he walks?
(a) Where he will find water for his farm.
(b) A particular woman.
(c) What jobs he needs to get done.
(d) What he will plant in the fall.
3. What does Mehring worry about as he looks out the windows?
(a) When Antonia will return.
(b) The burned willows.
(c) Whether or not the fire will stop on its own.
(d) How he will pay for repairs on his farm.
4. Who does Jacobus call as the men look on skeptically and somewhat fearfully?
(a) William at the Indian Store.
(c) Mehring at the farm.
(d) The police.
5. Where is Antonia's husband?
(b) Away on research.
(c) In town.
(d) In the United States.
6. Where do they take Solomon?
(b) To a friend's home.
(c) To the hospital.
(d) To Mehring's.
7. Who takes credit for putting out the fire?
(d) De Beer.
8. How does Antonia contradict her "everything goes" front?
(a) Her closed way of talking.
(b) Her shy personality.
(c) Her conservative clothing.
(d) Her sensible advice.
9. Where is Jacobus' meeting being held?
(a) Jacobus' home.
(b) A barn.
(c) The spare farmhouse.
(d) In town at a local pub.
10. What makes the dust-filled air worse?
(c) Passing cars.
(d) Pollution from oil refineries.
11. What do the bad spirits haunt?
(a) Jacobus' home.
(b) The town.
(c) The third pasture where Solomon was found.
(d) Mehring's house.
12. Where does Mehring lie down and fall asleep?
(a) In a hammock.
(b) In the grass.
(c) In his bedroom.
(d) In the barn.
13. Why does Antonia taunt Mehring?
(a) She enjoys making others feel inferior.
(b) He works in the city as a pig-iron dealer.
(c) He is a socialist, while she is a capitalist.
(d) He annoys her.
14. How is Solomon when Jacobus finds him?
(a) He is beaten badly and stripped naked.
(b) He has a broken leg.
(c) He is asleep.
(d) He is dead.
15. Where does Jacobus tell Mehring they found a dead man?
(a) In his home.
(b) Near the river.
(c) In a field.
(d) Near a mine.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many generations of his unexpected visitors are present?
2. What blows garbage from the camps and industrial sites into the air?
3. On closer inspection, what does Jacobus discover about Solomon?
4. What does Terry not seem to realize about the South African "system" he mocks?
5. What does Mehring own?
This section contains 489 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)