|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Mehring feel when he wakes up?
(b) Wide awake.
(d) Momentarily confused,
2. What makes the dust-filled air worse?
(c) Pollution from oil refineries.
(d) Passing cars.
3. About what do they speak?
(a) The farm.
(b) Business in town.
(c) Business and the history of the land.
(d) The dead body on his property.
4. What does Mehring despair about in the spare farmhouse?
(a) It has mice and rats.
(b) It is falling apart.
(c) It smells of cat.
(d) It is not very large.
5. How does Mehring feel about the policeman's reassurances that it will not reflect badly on him?
(a) He is unconcerned.
(b) He is very worried.
(c) He is confident.
(d) He is somewhat assuaged.
6. Who is Antonia?
(a) Mehring's mother.
(b) Mehring's sister.
(c) Mehring's best friend.
(d) Mehring's leftist, anti-capitalist girlfriend.
7. What does Terry not seem to realize about the South African "system" he mocks?
(a) It is the same one that pays for him and his mother's lifestyle.
(b) It is not as flawed as he believes it to be.
(c) It is the best system on the continent of Africa.
(d) Terry's father works for that system.
8. What does Mehring think he should do but know he will not do?
(a) Sell the farm.
(b) Call his son.
(c) Clean up from the fire.
(d) Write a letter.
9. How do Mehring's business peers feel out his "hobby" farm?
(a) They are embarrassed.
(b) They feel envious.
(c) They find it ridiculous.
(d) They are disgusted.
10. What do the bad spirits haunt?
(a) The third pasture where Solomon was found.
(b) Mehring's house.
(c) Jacobus' home.
(d) The town.
11. What do Mehring, Jacobus and a farmhand try and repair?
(a) A tractor.
(b) A fence for the cattle.
(c) A water pump for the cattle.
(d) The roof on the house.
12. What aspect of the farm does Mehring like?
(a) The hired help.
(b) The fields.
(c) The animals and plants.
(d) It is secluded and has no pesky witnesses.
13. What is one of Mehring's many regrets?
(a) Not marrying Antonia.
(b) Allowing his wife to move to the United States.
(c) Not taking the time to do "father" things with Terry.
(d) Letting his son go away to college.
14. How do the police handle problems in the shantytowns?
(a) They have a zero tolerance policy.
(b) They bring powerful weapons and shoot to kill.
(c) They let the "locals" take care of the problem themselves.
(d) They destroy the shacks in the shantytown whenever possible.
15. Where does Mehring lie down and fall asleep?
(a) In his bedroom.
(b) In a hammock.
(c) In the barn.
(d) In the grass.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Jacobus' meeting being held?
2. How does Mehring feel as he takes in the scene: river, reeds and willows?
3. Why does Mehring tear up the letter from his son?
4. How many generations of his unexpected visitors are present?
5. What does Antonia not believe about Mehring?
This section contains 512 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)