|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Jacobus find Solomon?
(a) In the river.
(b) In town.
(c) In bed.
(d) In a nearby field.
2. What does Mehring own?
(a) A large home in the city.
(b) A zoo in Cambodia.
(c) An automobile dealership in Australia.
(d) A farm in rural South Africa.
3. What blows garbage from the camps and industrial sites into the air?
(a) Ocean winds.
(b) Large fans.
(c) August winds.
(d) An east wind.
4. Who leads the conversation?
(a) The youngest.
(b) The eldest.
(c) The novice.
(d) The supervisor.
5. What does Jacobus reassure the men who do not have proper work papers?
(a) He can help them work in town.
(b) He will protect them.
(c) He will get work papers for them.
(d) They will not be caught.
6. What makes Mehring's irrigation efforts almost useless?
(a) The lack of assistance by his farmhands.
(b) The burning fire.
(c) The lack of water.
(d) The wind.
7. About what do they speak?
(a) Business and the history of the land.
(b) Business in town.
(c) The farm.
(d) The dead body on his property.
8. To what "business" does Mehring try to go back?
(a) Stopping some boys from taking native hen's eggs.
(b) Training horses.
(c) Farming his land.
(d) Chasing ferrel dogs off his property.
9. Where does Mehring lie down and fall asleep?
(a) In the grass.
(b) In the barn.
(c) In a hammock.
(d) In his bedroom.
10. Who asks for Solomon?
(b) A pair of men.
(c) His brother.
11. Where is Mehring's son, Terry?
(a) On the farm with Mehring.
(b) In Johannesburg with his mother.
(c) In the United States with his mother.
(d) Away at college.
12. Why is Jacobus angry when one of the laborer youths, Izak, comes back from the nearby shantytown?
(a) He is too young to be at the meeting and should have stayed at the shantytown.
(b) Izak is sent to buy supplies but comes back empty-handed.
(c) He was sent to buy beer, which Jacobus feels is unsafe for a young man.
(d) He could have been followed from the shantytown by the police, which would have caused trouble for the other men at the meeting.
13. What do Mehring, Jacobus and a farmhand try and repair?
(a) The roof on the house.
(b) A fence for the cattle.
(c) A tractor.
(d) A water pump for the cattle.
14. Why does Mehring tear up the letter from his son?
(a) He and his son do not get along.
(b) His son's hypocrisy disgusts him.
(c) He knows that the boy is not his son.
(d) He is upset that his son is so far away.
15. While he thinks of their sexual liaisons, what does Mehring realize about Antonia?
(a) She is very kind.
(b) How much she thinks of herself.
(c) How much she loves him.
(d) She is unselfish.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mehring make himself at the farmhouse?
2. How does Mehring feel as he takes in the scene: river, reeds and willows?
3. Why does Antonia taunt Mehring?
4. How does Jacobus recommend Mehring attempt to preserve the body?
5. What do the bad spirits haunt?
This section contains 553 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)