|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mehring realize about Jacobus?
(a) How mean he really is.
(b) How shrewd the man really is.
(c) How kind he really is.
(d) How close he is to Jacobus.
2. When they land at Johannesburg, after some polite conversation, what does the young girl do?
(a) Screams out and runs to her mother.
(b) She joins her family.
(c) She asks for his phone number.
(d) She asks his name.
3. Why does Mehring ride in tourist class on a plane ride from Lisbon?
(a) He does not have the money to purchase a first class seat.
(b) There is no first class on the plane.
(c) There is no room in first class.
(d) He enjoys getting to know the locals.
4. Why is Jacobus angry when one of the laborer youths, Izak, comes back from the nearby shantytown?
(a) He could have been followed from the shantytown by the police, which would have caused trouble for the other men at the meeting.
(b) He is too young to be at the meeting and should have stayed at the shantytown.
(c) Izak is sent to buy supplies but comes back empty-handed.
(d) He was sent to buy beer, which Jacobus feels is unsafe for a young man.
5. While he thinks of their sexual liaisons, what does Mehring realize about Antonia?
(a) She is unselfish.
(b) She is very kind.
(c) How much she thinks of herself.
(d) How much she loves him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the police tell Mehring will happen in the next several days?
2. What streaks across the sky as Mehring reaches a stone outhouse?
3. How do the police handle problems in the shantytowns?
4. Why do people dig through piles of garbage?
5. What does Mehring despair about in the spare farmhouse?
This section contains 390 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)