|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did everyone refuse to do to Ahmad Hanbal?
2. What kind of voice spoke to the "faithless Molsem" from heaven?
3. What was the fifth valley that the birds had to cross?
4. Sheikh Kherghan said that his misery and pain lie __________.
5. For travelers, what disappeared in the Valley of Detachment?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the Valley of Detachment.
2. What did Mahna's shiekh tell the old woman about how to pray?
3. Why was Husain, the son of Ali, killed?
4. Why did the hoopoe not have an exact length of the quest for the birds?
5. What was the definition of justice that the hoopoe gave to the birds?
6. According to the hoopoe, why are loyalty and justice put beside "such majesty"?
7. What did the hoopoe say about audacity being allowed before the Simorgh?
8. How did the bird who claimed that he had bad luck substantiate his claim that he could not go on the quest with the hoopoe?
9. Describe the stone man.
10. What were the two things that the Sheikh of Turkestan loved?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Attar's writing also used hyperbolic language. The problem with Attar's use of the hyperbole is that it is meant to be used to indicate depth. Find three examples of hyperboles from the text and discuss the meaning that Attar meant in regard to using it.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the actual conference of the birds. What was the purpose of the conference? What did the birds learn about the journey that they were to go on? Why does this journey parallel one that can be seen in anyone's life?
Essay Topic 3
Attar mixes religious icons with historically important and known figures. Discuss the importance of this mixture. What did Attar hope to gain by this? Did it deepen the acceptance/understanding of the text? Why/Why not?
This section contains 731 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)