|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the "fool of God" claim would happen to those whose souls did not have feathers?
2. What kind of animal blood did Joseph's brothers stain his cloak with when they threw him in the well?
3. In the Valley of Love, what did the falcons search for as they flew?
4. What kind of voice spoke to the "faithless Molsem" from heaven?
5. Who did Abraham fight with while he drew his last breaths?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the lover of the man who slept all the time write on the note that she attached to his sleeve?
2. What did Mahna's shiekh tell the old woman about how to pray?
3. Why did the hoopoe not have an exact length of the quest for the birds?
4. Describe the Valley of Unity.
5. What must one do to find God in the Valley of the Quest?
6. Describe the Valley of Bewilderment.
7. What did the "faithless Moslem" think about doing when the "faithful infidel" was bent in prayer?
8. From the story "The Beggar Who Fell in Love with Ayaz," how was it justified that a beggar could be seen as an equal in royal court?
9. What did the hoopoe say in regard to the length of the quest to see the Simorgh?
10. According to the story "The Lover Who Wanted to Kill his Beloved," what must one do to be pious and reach the Lord?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The introduction of the book defines the use of metaphors as not typical of what an English reader would understand. Choose three examples of Attar's use of a metaphor and explain his use of the metaphor in the text.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the actual conference of the birds. What was the purpose of the conference? What did the birds learn about the journey that they were to go on? Why does this journey parallel one that can be seen in anyone's life?
Essay Topic 3
Attar uses the imagery of a dog many times throughout the book. Discuss the different ways that Attar uses the imagery/referencing of a dog. Are the references negative or positive? What does Attar hope to teach through the dog's usage? Find at least three examples of where Attar used the imagery/referencing of a dog and explain the usage according to the text.
This section contains 878 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)