|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What leader claimed that he was the lord to his people and the people ignored his claims?
2. Shiekh Sam'an's people left for __________.
3. How did the king honor the fisherboy's friendship?
4. What did Abbasseh say that the Self must choose between?
5. Who did the hoopoe say the francolin had to reject?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Abbasseh describe the Self?
2. What was the problem with love according to the hoopoe?
3. What must the francolin do with his Self?
4. What did the birds decide they needed in a leader?
5. Describe the phoenix from the hoopoe's story "The Phoenix."
6. According to the text, how does an earthly king act?
7. What happened between Nimrod and the mosquitoes?
8. What happened in China in regard to the Simorgh?
9. What happened after the hoopoe was chosen as their leader?
10. How did the hoopoe define a lover while he was advising the birds?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The introduction of the book describes Attar's favorite literary device as the anaphora. Address the following in a paper: What is an anaphora? Why did Attar choose to use the anaphora? What purpose did the anaphora serve in the book? Give multiple examples of anaphoras used in the text and describe their use.
Essay Topic 2
At the end of the book, the birds find out that they are, in fact, the Simorgh. Discuss the inferences that are made throughout the book that hint at this being true. How did their concerns, actions, fears, and successes lead you to believe that the birds were the Simorgh.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Attar's usage of birds in the book. What do the birds represent? Why are birds a suitable substitution for Attar's real "audience"? How does Attar personify the birds in the book?
This section contains 672 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)