|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the hoopoe say forced a "vicious sinner to repent"?
2. The gravedigger said ________ watched him dig graves?
3. What did the "cowardly bird" claim was a "useless sacrifice"?
4. While the hoopoe was telling the birds about the Way, he said he was blessed by_______________.
5. Why is the Way lifeless-according to the hoopoe?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the birds decide they needed in a leader?
2. How did the hoopoe define a lover while he was advising the birds?
3. What problem did the hoopoe have with the hawk?
4. What was the hoopoe's response to the partridge's excuse for not wanting to go on the quest for the Simorgh?
5. What was the meaning behind the story "A Pauper in Love with the King of Egypt"?
6. What was the problem with love according to the hoopoe?
7. Describe the parrot's plumage.
8. Why did the birds decide that they needed a king?
9. What happened after the hoopoe was chosen as their leader?
10. Why did the hoopoe compare the finch to Moses?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Religious figures and stories are intertwined throughout the novel. Discuss the usage of Christianity in the book. What does the use of Christian imagery and characters do to the meaning of the story? How did Attar use religion as an image in the book? Did the use of Christianity help in understanding the book? Why/Why not?
Essay Topic 2
The Simorgh is definitely created to represent an image of God. Biblically speaking, man was created in God's image. How do the birds represent Simorgh in the same way that man is a representation of God?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the personification of the Self, Love, Truth, Unity, Reality, and the Way. How are these personified? Why are they personified? What purpose does the personification serve in respect to the lesson that Attar was trying to teach?
This section contains 699 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)