|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what color was the parrot clothed?
2. What did the "cowardly bird" claim was a "useless sacrifice"?
3. Whom did the heron say that he loved and, therefore, could not go on the journey to find the Simorgh?
4. How did the king honor the fisherboy's friendship?
5. What did the hoopoe say that the partridge's jewels really were?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did the birds decide that they needed a king?
2. What will the quest do for the birds?
3. Why did a "cowardly bird" protest going on the quest for the Simorgh?
4. How did Abbasseh describe the Self?
5. Describe the phoenix from the hoopoe's story "The Phoenix."
6. What was the problem with love according to the hoopoe?
7. What happened in China in regard to the Simorgh?
8. How did the hoopoe define a lover while he was advising the birds?
9. What was the "glance of Solomon"?
10. What happened after the hoopoe was chosen as their leader?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Religious figures and stories are intertwined throughout the novel. Discuss the usage of Christianity in the book. What does the use of Christian imagery and characters do to the meaning of the story? How did Attar use religion as an image in the book? Did the use of Christianity help in understanding the book? Why/Why not?
Essay Topic 2
The Simorgh is definitely created to represent an image of God. Biblically speaking, man was created in God's image. How do the birds represent Simorgh in the same way that man is a representation of God?
Essay Topic 3
The introduction of the book describes Attar's favorite literary device as the anaphora. Address the following in a paper: What is an anaphora? Why did Attar choose to use the anaphora? What purpose did the anaphora serve in the book? Give multiple examples of anaphoras used in the text and describe their use.
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)