|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the man, who refused to drink, refuse to drink?
(c) Sweet sherbet.
2. What did everyone refuse to do to Ahmad Hanbal?
(a) Praise him.
(b) Criticize him.
(c) Honor him.
(d) Be kind to him.
3. The peasant in the desert compared a man who does not seek to ___________.
(a) A rock.
(b) A blinded owl.
(c) A deaf bat.
(d) A wall.
4. What were the birds told, by the hoopoe, to expect to plunge themselves into upon entering the Valley of Love?
(a) A valley of winds.
(b) Seas of fire.
(c) Rivers of ice.
(d) Caves of darkness.
5. What did Shah Mahmoud throw onto the heap nearest to his mount?
(a) A ruby.
(b) A coin.
(c) A ring.
(d) A bracelet.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened when Truth's sunlight cleared the air in the Valley of Insight into Mystery?
2. What would deprive the birds of everything in the Valley of the Quest?
3. What made the man from "A Lord Who Loved a Beer-Seller" long to die?
4. How many valleys did the birds have to cross to find the Simorgh?
5. Why did the man from "A Lord Who Loved a Beer-Seller" act like a drunkard?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did the hoopoe not have an exact length of the quest for the birds?
2. Why was Husain, the son of Ali, killed?
3. What did the hoopoe say about audacity being allowed before the Simorgh?
4. Describe the Valley of Bewilderment.
5. What did the hoopoe say in regard to the length of the quest to see the Simorgh?
6. Describe the stone man.
7. According to the story "The Lover Who Wanted to Kill his Beloved," what must one do to be pious and reach the Lord?
8. Why did the slave not complain about the apple that his king gave to him?
9. What did Mahna's shiekh tell the old woman about how to pray?
10. How did the hoopoe answer the bird that claimed to be satisfied with his spiritual state and, therefore, did not need to go on the quest to see the Simorgh?
This section contains 791 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)