|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did the bird who questioned the hoopoe about the length of the journey describe the other birds?
(a) As blind.
(b) As weak.
(c) As ignorant.
(d) As faithless.
2. What did the man, who refused to drink, refuse to drink?
(d) Sweet sherbet.
3. What name did the "ancient crone" give to Jacob when shouting to the seller about him?
(a) Sow's ear.
(c) My love.
4. According to the peasant in the desert ("Sheikh Mahna and the Peasant"), what hides the musk of the hunted deer?
(a) The mixture of the blooms.
(c) The scent of other animals.
(d) Sweet air.
5. What price did Ibrahim Adham pay for poverty?
(a) His wife.
(b) His daughter.
(c) His kingdom.
(d) His son.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to the beggar at the end of "The Beggar Who Fell in Love with Ayaz"?
2. What did the "faithless Moslem" and the "faithful infidel" stop at points during their fighting to do?
3. What were the birds told, by the hoopoe, to expect to plunge themselves into upon entering the Valley of Love?
4. What did the "good-hearted monarch" give to his favorite slave?
5. Where did Sheikh Ghouri take refuge at when he met a "group of crazy fools"?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to the hoopoe, why are loyalty and justice put beside "such majesty"?
2. What did Mahna's shiekh tell the old woman about how to pray?
3. According to the hoopoe, what happened when one entered the Valley of Insight into Mystery?
4. According to the hoopoe, who does the Way belong to?
5. What must one do to find God in the Valley of the Quest?
6. Describe the Valley of Detachment.
7. How did the bird who claimed that he had bad luck substantiate his claim that he could not go on the quest with the hoopoe?
8. Describe the Valley of Bewilderment.
9. Describe the stone man.
10. Why did the slave not complain about the apple that his king gave to him?
This section contains 762 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)