|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For travelers, what disappeared in the Valley of Detachment?
(a) All claims and lust for meaning.
(b) All desires and trust in God.
(c) All faith and feeling.
(d) All hope and dreams for the future.
2. According to the hoopoe, what led those who started along the Way?
3. What kind of animal blood did Joseph's brothers stain his cloak with when they threw him in the well?
4. What price did Ibrahim Adham pay for poverty?
(a) His kingdom.
(b) His wife.
(c) His daughter.
(d) His son.
5. To what did the "fool of God" compare the world?
(a) A hurricane.
(b) A box.
(c) A strong wind.
(d) A breaking wave.
6. What did the "fool of God" claim would happen to those whose souls did not have feathers?
(a) They would burn forever in a pit of fire.
(b) They would have to stay on earth and live in pain and fear.
(c) They will be forever forgotten by others and die sad.
(d) They would fail to move on, but they would be happy in their life on earth.
7. Who waited anxiously to see Joesph's face when he was up for sale as a slave?
8. What was the metaphor based upon the following tenet: "When my exchequer has no love to give"?
9. How did the bird who questioned the hoopoe about the length of the journey describe the other birds?
(a) As ignorant.
(b) As faithless.
(c) As blind.
(d) As weak.
10. The stone man was known as ___________.
(c) Forgotten dreams.
11. What did the "sad, old woman" ask Mahna's shiekh to teach her how to do?
12. What was the asking price for Jacob?
(a) Thirty-five sheep.
(b) Four horses.
(c) Ten camels.
(d) Five tubs of musk.
13. What way did pilgrims take when they entered the Valley of Insight into Mystery?
(a) The path less trodden.
(b) The low path.
(c) All different ways.
(d) The high path.
14. What did Shebli wear around his waist?
(a) A heathen's belt.
(b) A grape vine.
(c) A rope of thorns.
(d) A vine from a fig tree.
15. What did the "good-hearted monarch" give to his favorite slave?
(a) A grape.
(b) A kiwi.
(c) A pear.
(d) An apple.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was wrong with the fruit that the "good-hearted monarch" gave to his favorite slave?
2. What did the hoopoe say must be empty for the heart to purify itself in the Valley of the Quest?
3. What happened when Truth's sunlight cleared the air in the Valley of Insight into Mystery?
4. What did Shah Mahmoud throw onto the heap nearest to his mount?
5. How did falcons fly when they were distressed, in the Valley of Love?
This section contains 491 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)