|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the hoopoe say must be empty for the heart to purify itself in the Valley of the Quest?
2. What did Sheikh Ghouri tell Prince Sanjar that he must leave behind if he chose to be the men's enemy?
3. What did the dervishes renounce in "The Arab in Persia"?
(b) The world.
4. The bird that burned with aspiration said his soul was devoured by_________.
(b) Insatiate zeal.
5. What did Shebli wear around his waist?
(a) A rope of thorns.
(b) A vine from a fig tree.
(c) A grape vine.
(d) A heathen's belt.
6. God breathed a pure soul into Adam's __________.
7. Why did the Indian King tell Mahmoud that he was crying?
(a) His son had been taken prisoner.
(b) Thoughts of Judgement Day.
(c) His daughter had been sold illegally into slavery.
(d) His wife had died.
8. To whom did the hoopoe say the Way belonged?
(a) Only the pure and strong.
(b) Only those whom accept the Simorgh.
(c) Only those who survive the journey.
9. What object struck the naked madman on the head as he was looking for shelter from the cold?
(a) A window shutter.
(b) A frozen apple.
(c) A roof tile.
(d) A broken and frozen branch.
10. Who did Abraham fight with while he drew his last breaths?
11. What did the "fool of God" claim would happen to those whose souls did not have feathers?
(a) They would fail to move on, but they would be happy in their life on earth.
(b) They will be forever forgotten by others and die sad.
(c) They would burn forever in a pit of fire.
(d) They would have to stay on earth and live in pain and fear.
12. What object did Joseph strike when he addressed his brothers about selling him into slavery?
(a) A bowl.
(b) A bell.
(c) A staff.
(d) A throne.
13. What did the "good-hearted monarch" give to his favorite slave?
(a) A kiwi.
(b) A grape.
(c) A pear.
(d) An apple.
14. What was the asking price for Jacob?
(a) Thirty-five sheep.
(b) Ten camels.
(c) Four horses.
(d) Five tubs of musk.
15. What were the birds told, by the hoopoe, to expect to plunge themselves into upon entering the Valley of Love?
(a) Seas of fire.
(b) Rivers of ice.
(c) A valley of winds.
(d) Caves of darkness.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Ahmad Hanbal consult when he felt that his mind was inadequate to answer a question?
2. How many starving brothers did Joesph have leave their home to come and stand in his presence and beg for help?
3. What is the name of the scholar's task that describes the process of determining the actions/sayings of the Prophet Mohammad to be genuine?
4. Who did the judge say must pay for the murdered animal that the rich neighbor lent to the poor man, given the poor man could not pay for the animal (it died while he was borrowing it)?
5. What did the poor man, who lived in a drainage ditch, borrow from his rich neighbor to ride to the mill?
This section contains 541 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)