|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the asking price for Jacob?
(a) Four horses.
(b) Thirty-five sheep.
(c) Ten camels.
(d) Five tubs of musk.
2. What object struck the naked madman on the head as he was looking for shelter from the cold?
(a) A broken and frozen branch.
(b) A window shutter.
(c) A roof tile.
(d) A frozen apple.
3. The bird that burned with aspiration said his soul was devoured by_________.
(b) Insatiate zeal.
4. What did God force the angel, who knew his secret about Adam, wear around his neck?
(a) A ring.
(b) A scar.
(c) A branding.
(d) A ribbon.
5. What did the "ancient crone" use to place a bid on Jacob?
(a) Her gold and jewels.
(b) One rooster.
(c) Twisted threads.
(d) The deed to her land.
6. What happened when Truth's sunlight cleared the air in the Valley of Insight into Mystery?
(a) All paths braided into one.
(b) All animals helped travelers find their way through.
(c) All travelers were blinded by the brightness.
(d) All travelers saw that they were welcomed.
7. What did the living people begin to do as death filled the roads during the Egyptian famine?
(a) Rob the king's vaults.
(b) Commit suicide.
(d) Leave the town.
8. How did Majnoun disguise himself to approach the campground?
(a) In a peasant's robe.
(b) As a mystic.
(c) As a beggar.
(d) In a sheepskin.
9. Who was Majnoun searching for in the dust of the highway?
10. What quote, from the Koran, did the voice from heaven remind the "faithless Moslem" about?
(a) "Every soul shall taste death."
(b) "Fulfill your promises."
(c) "Surely there are signs in this for thinking men."
(d) "Did we not spread the earth like a bed and raise the mountains like pillars?"
11. What way did pilgrims take when they entered the Valley of Insight into Mystery?
(a) All different ways.
(b) The path less trodden.
(c) The low path.
(d) The high path.
12. During the Egyptian famine, what did the people beg for as they died?
13. What happened to the Arab's riches in "The Arab in Persia"?
(a) They were offered up to God.
(b) They were stolen by the dervishes.
(c) They were lost on his journey.
(d) They were buried in the sand.
14. How many valleys did the birds have to cross to find the Simorgh?
15. What was the metaphor based upon the following tenet: "When my exchequer has no love to give"?
Short Answer Questions
1. In the Valley of Love, what did the falcons search for as they flew?
2. Where did Sheikh Ghouri take refuge at when he met a "group of crazy fools"?
3. Why did the man from "A Lord Who Loved a Beer-Seller" act like a drunkard?
4. Who waited anxiously to see Joesph's face when he was up for sale as a slave?
5. What did the dervishes renounce in "The Arab in Persia"?
This section contains 514 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)