|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Sheikh Kherghan said that his misery and pain lie __________.
(a) In his body.
(b) In his soul.
(c) In his stomach.
(d) In his heart.
2. The bird that burned with aspiration said his soul was devoured by_________.
(d) Insatiate zeal.
3. What made the man from "A Lord Who Loved a Beer-Seller" long to die?
(a) His failure to grasp food.
(b) His endless hunger.
(c) His failure to open his mouth.
(d) His inability to smell the difference between food and waste.
4. Why did the lover want to kill his beloved?
(a) She loved another man.
(b) She had been disowned by her family.
(c) She was very ill.
(d) She had been banished by her tribe.
5. What happened to the beggar at the end of "The Beggar Who Fell in Love with Ayaz"?
(a) He was arrested.
(b) He was banished from the city.
(c) He died.
(d) He married Ayaz.
6. What did the "sad, old woman" ask Mahna's shiekh to teach her how to do?
7. During the Egyptian famine, what did the people beg for as they died?
8. What was the metaphor based upon the following tenet: "When my exchequer has no love to give"?
9. Why did the Indian King tell Mahmoud that he was crying?
(a) His wife had died.
(b) His son had been taken prisoner.
(c) Thoughts of Judgement Day.
(d) His daughter had been sold illegally into slavery.
10. What did Sheikh Ghouri tell Prince Sanjar that he must leave behind if he chose to be the men's enemy?
11. What were the birds told, by the hoopoe, to expect to plunge themselves into upon entering the Valley of Love?
(a) Rivers of ice.
(b) A valley of winds.
(c) Caves of darkness.
(d) Seas of fire.
12. How did the bird who questioned the hoopoe about the length of the journey describe the other birds?
(a) As blind.
(b) As faithless.
(c) As ignorant.
(d) As weak.
13. Why did the lover lay in exhaustion and sleep in "The Lover Who Slept"?
(a) From the darkness he had battled.
(b) From the broken heart he had.
(c) From the deep hunger he felt.
(d) From the tears he wept.
14. Who dreamed that he was the guide to Bayazid and Tarmazi?
(a) A slave of Bayazid and Tarmazi.
(b) A master of the Way.
(c) The son of Tarmazi.
(d) The son of Bayazid.
15. The peasant in the desert compared a man who does not seek to ___________.
(a) A deaf bat.
(b) A rock.
(c) A blinded owl.
(d) A wall.
Short Answer Questions
1. What quote, from the Koran, did the voice from heaven remind the "faithless Moslem" about?
2. What is the name of the scholar's task that describes the process of determining the actions/sayings of the Prophet Mohammad to be genuine?
3. Why did the man from "A Lord Who Loved a Beer-Seller" act like a drunkard?
4. Who did Abraham fight with while he drew his last breaths?
5. What did the dervish ask of God in regard to the famine of Egypt?
This section contains 563 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)