|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happened to the Arab's riches in "The Arab in Persia"?
(a) They were buried in the sand.
(b) They were offered up to God.
(c) They were lost on his journey.
(d) They were stolen by the dervishes.
2. What did everyone refuse to do to Ahmad Hanbal?
(a) Be kind to him.
(b) Praise him.
(c) Honor him.
(d) Criticize him.
3. What was the asking price for Jacob?
(a) Ten camels.
(b) Four horses.
(c) Thirty-five sheep.
(d) Five tubs of musk.
4. What did Shah Mahmoud throw onto the heap nearest to his mount?
(a) A coin.
(b) A bracelet.
(c) A ruby.
(d) A ring.
5. The bird that burned with aspiration said his soul was devoured by_________.
(c) Insatiate zeal.
6. Why did the Indian King tell Mahmoud that he was crying?
(a) His son had been taken prisoner.
(b) His daughter had been sold illegally into slavery.
(c) Thoughts of Judgement Day.
(d) His wife had died.
7. According to the hoopoe, what led those who started along the Way?
8. What kind of animal blood did Joseph's brothers stain his cloak with when they threw him in the well?
9. What did the dervish ask of God in regard to the famine of Egypt?
(a) For great rains to water the harvests.
(b) For a new king to be sought.
(c) To allow for more crops.
(d) To make fewer men.
10. To whom did the hoopoe say the Way belonged?
(a) Only those whom accept the Simorgh.
(b) Only the pure and strong.
(c) Only those who survive the journey.
11. What is the name of the scholar's task that describes the process of determining the actions/sayings of the Prophet Mohammad to be genuine?
12. What did the dervishes renounce in "The Arab in Persia"?
(d) The world.
13. What did the "good-hearted monarch" give to his favorite slave?
(a) A grape.
(b) An apple.
(c) A pear.
(d) A kiwi.
14. What happened to the beggar at the end of "The Beggar Who Fell in Love with Ayaz"?
(a) He was banished from the city.
(b) He was arrested.
(c) He died.
(d) He married Ayaz.
15. The peasant in the desert compared a man who does not seek to ___________.
(a) A wall.
(b) A deaf bat.
(c) A blinded owl.
(d) A rock.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the "narrator" (the hoopoe) compare the beggar to in the story "The Beggar Who Fell in Love with Ayaz"?
2. What did the living people begin to do as death filled the roads during the Egyptian famine?
3. What did the "fool of God" claim would happen to those whose souls did not have feathers?
4. What happened when Truth's sunlight cleared the air in the Valley of Insight into Mystery?
5. How did Majnoun disguise himself to approach the campground?
This section contains 544 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)