|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the hoopoe wear on his breast?
(a) The Spirit's Way.
(b) A nail.
(c) A crown of thorns.
(d) A cross.
2. While the hoopoe was telling the birds about the Way, he said he was blessed by_______________.
(c) King Solomon.
3. What advice did the hoopoe give to the goldfinch about earthly claims?
(a) Shut your eyes to them.
(b) Never claim them as your own.
(c) Turn your back on them.
(d) Remember that you will leave them in death.
4. What did the hoopoe say that the partridge's jewels really were?
(b) Empty promises.
(c) Earthly treasures.
5. Why is the Way lifeless-according to the hoopoe?
(a) To insure that the birds create their own path.
(b) To make the journey as hard as possible.
(c) To allow those on the journey to choose their own path.
(d) To glorify the king.
6. What did the hoopoe say the quest was for?
7. In the story of the "Two Foxes," where did one fox say that he would meet up with the other after parting?
(a) In heaven.
(b) In hell.
(c) At the furrier's.
(d) At God's right hand.
8. What did the "cowardly bird" say would happen the first time the birds stopped for a rest during the journey?
(a) He would give up.
(b) He would drop dead.
(c) He would turn around.
(d) He would never stop.
9. Where did the finch say that he would seek his loved one at?
(a) The sky.
(b) A tree.
(c) A cave.
(d) A well.
10. According to the hoopoe's story about the spider, how did the spider spend his days?
(a) In waking dreams.
(b) In constant hunger.
(c) In self-communing dreams.
(d) In constant fear.
11. To whom did the hoopoe compare the nightingale?
(c) The choir of Levites.
12. According to the hoopoe, how must man enter and leave the world?
(d) Filled with love.
13. What did the "cowardly bird" claim was a "useless sacrifice"?
(a) Giving up his home.
(b) Giving up his wealth.
(c) The deaths of many birds on the journey.
(d) Leaving his family.
14. What was the "fruit " of love's great tree?
(c) Washed sins.
15. What did the hoopoe tell the birds that the journey required?
(a) A beggar's heart.
(b) A fool's heart.
(c) A follower's heart.
(d) A lion's heart.
Short Answer Questions
1. What leader claimed that he was the lord to his people and the people ignored his claims?
2. What did the Lord say clothed the simpleton who walked naked through the crowd?
3. Right before leaving on their journey, what did the birds do?
4. For whom did the hoopoe work as a secret message deliverer?
5. What did a Sufi try to buy for nothing in Baghdad?
This section contains 462 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)