|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened in China when the war broke out?
2. What did Huangbo spend extra money on during the war?
3. Why was May Ying evicted from her apartment?
4. Where did Nan first learn she was sick?
5. What did Hing want to be when she grew up?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Sam sell of his daughter's, and what did this mean for them?
2. What did Hing do when she was sued?
3. How was Hing able to purchase a house?
4. How did Hing try to stop May Ying from drinking when she lived in her house?
5. How did Hing's husband make a living?
6. What turned Gok Leng's life around from his trouble causing?
7. What did Yuen say was the most important thing to him in his life?
8. What did May Ying say led to Gok Leng's troubled times?
9. What did Sam do for Hing whenever he made a trip to Chinatown?
10. How did Hing learn about her mother's death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How was the theme of diversity shown in this book, and which people were most affected by this?
Essay Topic 2
Sacrifice was a theme that was very prevalent in this book. Who were the people most affected by this theme, and how did they allow sacrifice to change their lives?
Essay Topic 3
How did Denise feel about the Cultural Revolution in China when it was over, and what led to this changed ideal?
This section contains 609 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)