|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Gok Lek become a ward of?
2. What was a constant problem while May Ying lived with Guen?
3. What did Denise say was the purpose for traveling in China with her mother?
4. Who was with May Ying while she did not communicate with Hing?
5. Where did Hing meet with Ping?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was Hing able to purchase a house?
2. What did Sam sell of his daughter's, and what did this mean for them?
3. How did Hing's husband make a living?
4. What did Hing do when she was sued?
5. What made John almost cancel his engagement to Hing?
6. What did the Communists force Yuen to do?
7. What was Huangbo chastised for by the Communists?
8. What did May Ying say led to Gok Leng's troubled times?
9. How did Nan die?
10. What did Sam want Ping to do when she left her husband, and why did she not do it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Maturity and aging was a strong theme in this book. Where did this theme appear, and how significant was it to the plot?
Essay Topic 2
Security and safety were two themes covered throughout the course of this book. What are some of these instances, and how does this affect the people in these scenes?
Essay Topic 3
What are some of the ways Hing and John showed their love to each other, and how did these displays affect Denise's ideas about life?
This section contains 621 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)