|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What pleased Sam about Hing?
2. What did Sam die of?
3. What did Gok Lek become a ward of?
4. What caused Hing to call her mother in Winnipeg?
5. Why did May Ying say she continued to gamble?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Hing do when she was sued?
2. How was Hing able to purchase a house?
3. How did Hing recognize Yuen without ever meeting him before?
4. Why did Denise want her mother to travel through China with her?
5. What did Yuen say was the most important thing to him in his life?
6. What did Ping do when she learned her husband had a mistress?
7. Why did Hing not want to travel through China with Denise?
8. How did Sam die?
9. What did Sam want Ping to do when she left her husband, and why did she not do it?
10. What changed in Huangbo's letters after the war, and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why was education so important to Hing, and what affect did this importance have on her mothering?
Essay Topic 2
How did the relationship between Hing and her father change throughout the course of the story, and how did these changes affect the people around them?
Essay Topic 3
What was the significance of the title of this book?
This section contains 575 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)