|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did May Ying start living with Guen?
2. What did Guen teach Hing to wash?
3. What did Gok Leng do for a living?
4. How many sisters did Hing have?
5. What did Densie say made Hing so sad?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Hing try to stop May Ying from drinking when she lived in her house?
2. What did Hing do when she was sued?
3. What was the gift Ping gave to Hing, and what did it signify?
4. What changed in Huangbo's letters after the war, and why?
5. How did Hing's husband make a living?
6. What were the biggest stumbling blocks for the relationship between Hing and John?
7. What made John almost cancel his engagement to Hing?
8. What was Huangbo chastised for by the Communists?
9. How was Hing able to purchase a house?
10. How did Hing learn about her mother's death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did Huangbo show her integrity, and what resulted because of her dependence on integrity?
Essay Topic 2
Why was education so important to Hing, and what affect did this importance have on her mothering?
Essay Topic 3
Courage and fear were two attributes that were seen a number of times in this book. Where did they appear, and how did the presence of these feelings change the people who were involved in those situations?
This section contains 576 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)