|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What impressed Denise about Yuen?
2. What changed in Huangbo's letters after the war?
3. How did May Ying learn that Nan died?
4. What happened in China when the war broke out?
5. What did John say was the key to helping Hing through her sadness?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Ping do when she learned her husband had a mistress?
2. What did May Ying say led to Gok Leng's troubled times?
3. How did Denise find Hing's family?
4. What did Sam want Ping to do when she left her husband, and why did she not do it?
5. How did Hing learn about her mother's death?
6. What did Hing get sued for?
7. How did Nan die?
8. What did Yuen say was the most important thing to him in his life?
9. How did Sam die?
10. What was Huangbo chastised for by the Communists?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What was Yuen's greatest desire at the end of the book, what was he willing to sacrifice for it, and why?
Essay Topic 2
How did Denise feel about the Cultural Revolution in China when it was over, and what led to this changed ideal?
Essay Topic 3
Why was education so important to Hing, and what affect did this importance have on her mothering?
This section contains 596 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)