|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who smoothed over the blunders made in Sam's business?
2. Who told May Ying her third child would be a boy?
3. Why did the women working with May Ying tend to wear heavy make up?
4. What caused Sam to occasionally stop working in China after he left Hing?
5. How did May Ying view Nan?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to Hing when May Ying had some friends visiting?
2. Why did Sam and May Ying live in Canada instead of America?
3. What did Sam plan to do for Hing when she turned 5, and why?
4. What did Sam do to try and keep in contact with Hing?
5. How did Sam try to save face with May Ying's affair?
6. Where did Sam find May Ying when she failed to come home one night?
7. What did families in Canada all have that May Ying liked?
8. What kept Sam from returning home to China when he was out of work?
9. How did May Ying dress hing when Sam left for China?
10. What did May Ying like about the children in Nanaimo?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Maturity and aging was a strong theme in this book. Where did this theme appear, and how significant was it to the plot?
Essay Topic 2
How did Denise feel about the Cultural Revolution in China when it was over, and what led to this changed ideal?
Essay Topic 3
Who was the more honorable woman between Huangbo and May Ying, and why?
This section contains 611 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)