|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did May Ying travel to meet the man who bought her?
2. What was strange about Sam getting a taxi for May Ying?
3. How did May Ying feel when Huangbo had a son?
4. How old was May Ying when she was sold for the first time?
5. How did May Ying often pay her gambling debts?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Hing feel about Guen, and why?
2. What did Sam plan to do for Hing when she turned 5, and why?
3. Why did May Ying tell Sam to return to China?
4. Why did Hing become resentful of her mother?
5. What caused years of no available work for Sam?
6. What were Guen's stipulations for giving money to May Ying?
7. What service did Hing hate doing for her mother in town?
8. Where did Sam find May Ying when she failed to come home one night?
9. What made May Ying so popular with the people in Canada?
10. Why was May Ying not very fond of Nan when she was so pleased with Ping?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are some of the ways Hing and John showed their love to each other, and how did these displays affect Denise's ideas about life?
Essay Topic 2
Security and safety were two themes covered throughout the course of this book. What are some of these instances, and how does this affect the people in these scenes?
Essay Topic 3
Each of the Chong siblings had very different characteristics and personalities. What are the defining features of each of the siblings, and how did their individuality affect the course of the plot?
This section contains 631 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)