|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What surprised May Ying about her third child?
2. Who told May Ying her third child would be a boy?
3. How did May Ying feel when Huangbo had a son?
4. How was Hing related to Yuen?
5. What changed Hing's opinion of her mother
Short Essay Questions
1. How did May Ying dress hing when Sam left for China?
2. What did Sam chastise May Ying for when he found her after she had not come home one night?
3. What did Hing imagine for herself when she was sad about her home life?
4. What did Guen give money to May Ying for?
5. How did Sam try to save face with May Ying's affair?
6. Why did Hing become resentful of her mother?
7. What bad habit did May Ying fall into while living in Canada with Hing?
8. What did May Ying like about the children in Nanaimo?
9. Why did Sam and May Ying live in Canada instead of America?
10. What made May Ying feel jealous when Huangbo had a son?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Security and safety were two themes covered throughout the course of this book. What are some of these instances, and how does this affect the people in these scenes?
Essay Topic 2
How did Huangbo show her integrity, and what resulted because of her dependence on integrity?
Essay Topic 3
Maturity and aging was a strong theme in this book. Where did this theme appear, and how significant was it to the plot?
This section contains 593 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)