|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did May Ying think Sam was an important man when they first met?
2. How old was May Ying when she was sold for the first time?
3. What kind of name was Hing told to choose?
4. How did Hing console herself for her broken home?
5. What disease was Sam trying to prepare for?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did families in Canada all have that May Ying liked?
2. How did Hing feel about Guen, and why?
3. Where did Sam find May Ying when she failed to come home one night?
4. What did Sam chastise May Ying for when he found her after she had not come home one night?
5. What were Guen's stipulations for giving money to May Ying?
6. What did May Ying like about the children in Nanaimo?
7. Why did May Ying tell Sam to return to China?
8. What did Guen do for a living?
9. What kept Sam from returning home to China when he was out of work?
10. What caused years of no available work for Sam?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Maturity and aging was a strong theme in this book. Where did this theme appear, and how significant was it to the plot?
Essay Topic 2
Who was the more honorable woman between Huangbo and May Ying, and why?
Essay Topic 3
Anger was a vice that reared its ugly head a number of times in this book. What are some examples of this, and how was the plot altered because of these incidents?
This section contains 601 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)