|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who smoothed over the blunders made in Sam's business?
2. Where was the man from who bought May Ying?
3. What did Sam name May Ying's third child?
4. Who helped May Ying treat her aches?
5. How did May Ying feel when she may Huangbo cry?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kept Sam from returning home to China when he was out of work?
2. What did Guen do for a living?
3. Why did Sam and May Ying live in Canada instead of America?
4. What did Sam plan to do for Hing when she turned 5, and why?
5. What happened to Hing when May Ying had some friends visiting?
6. What were Guen's stipulations for giving money to May Ying?
7. What bad habit did May Ying fall into while living in Canada with Hing?
8. Where did Sam find May Ying when she failed to come home one night?
9. What did families in Canada all have that May Ying liked?
10. Why was May Ying not very fond of Nan when she was so pleased with Ping?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Anger was a vice that reared its ugly head a number of times in this book. What are some examples of this, and how was the plot altered because of these incidents?
Essay Topic 2
Friendship is a strong theme throughout the book. Where are some places that this theme appears, and how do the people touched by it react? How do certain friendships change over the course of the book, and what causes these changes?
Essay Topic 3
Courage and fear were two attributes that were seen a number of times in this book. Where did they appear, and how did the presence of these feelings change the people who were involved in those situations?
This section contains 621 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)