|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What caused many Chinese people to lose their land?
(a) The deaths of the heads of households.
(b) The immigration problems.
(c) The land reformations.
(d) The Japanese takeover.
2. Why did May Ying say she continued to gamble?
(a) It made her feel rich.
(b) It was her job.
(c) She was addicted.
(d) Luck followed her.
3. How did May Ying die?
(a) She got an infected cut.
(b) She had the flu.
(c) She was in a car accident.
(d) She had an allergic reaction.
4. Why did Denise say she wasn't really Chinese?
(a) She was born in Canada.
(b) Her sisters were dead.
(c) She didn't know the language.
(d) Her father was American.
5. What impressed Denise about Yuen?
(a) His deformity.
(b) His alert eyes.
(c) His booming voice.
(d) His heighth.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Nan work during the war?
2. How did Hing curtail May Ying's bad habit when she moved in?
3. Who did Hing live with when her mother went to Winnipeg?
4. Where did Denise move after her father's death?
5. How did Ping recognize Hing when they met?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Hing try to stop May Ying from drinking when she lived in her house?
2. Why did Denise want her mother to travel through China with her?
3. How did Hing learn about her mother's death?
4. How was Hing able to purchase a house?
5. What was the gift Ping gave to Hing, and what did it signify?
6. What made John almost cancel his engagement to Hing?
7. Why did Hing drop out of school?
8. What did Hing do when she was sued?
9. What caused Doreen to drop out of school?
10. What did May Ying say led to Gok Leng's troubled times?
This section contains 653 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)