|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kept Hing motivated at her vocational school?
(a) Her friendship with Doreen.
(b) Her desire to please her mother.
(c) Her encouragement from her father.
(d) Her goals for the future.
2. What happened in China when the war broke out?
(a) Travel was stopped.
(b) Men left their homes.
(c) There were shortages.
(d) The government shut down.
3. How did Hing curtail May Ying's bad habit when she moved in?
(a) She gave her a budget.
(b) She gave her a small bedroom.
(c) She made her watch the kids.
(d) She stayed with her all the time.
4. Who filed a lawsuit against Hing?
(a) Her landlord.
(b) Her parents.
(c) Her husband.
(d) Her sister.
5. Where did Nan work during the war?
(a) The tea houses.
(b) The docks.
(c) The airport.
(d) The fields.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long did May Ying and Hing go without communicating with each other?
2. Where did Huangbo go for food during the war?
3. What impressed Denise about Yuen?
4. Who did Hing say raised her?
5. What did May Ying do to pay for Yuen's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Hing do when she was sued?
2. How did Sam die?
3. Why did Hing drop out of school?
4. How did Hing try to stop May Ying from drinking when she lived in her house?
5. What changed in Huangbo's letters after the war, and why?
6. How did Hing recognize Yuen without ever meeting him before?
7. How did Nan die?
8. What did Sam want Ping to do when she left her husband, and why did she not do it?
9. What did the Communists force Yuen to do?
10. How did Hing's husband make a living?
This section contains 610 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)