|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who did Hing live with when her mother went to Winnipeg?
(b) Her teacher.
2. Why did Huangbo's letters change after the war?
(a) She wanted Sam to come home.
(b) She was too busy.
(c) She was heavily taxed.
(d) She didn't want to get in trouble.
3. What made May Ying say that Hing should die?
(a) She told a lie.
(b) She befriended a white girl.
(c) She was late for curfew.
(d) She failed a class.
4. Why did Hing not want to go to China?
(a) She didn't want memories coming back.
(b) She was afraid she couldn't return.
(c) She wanted to forget her roots.
(d) She didn't have the money.
5. How did Ping know so much about May Ying?
(a) Ping talked to her on the phone often.
(b) May Ying wrote letters.
(c) Huangbo talked about her.
(d) They had read her journal.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Gok Lek become a ward of?
2. What was a constant problem while May Ying lived with Guen?
3. What ended the war in Japan?
4. What did May Ying do to pay for Yuen's house?
5. Where was Ping's husband from?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Nan die?
2. What did Hing get sued for?
3. What did Ping do when she learned her husband had a mistress?
4. What was the gift Ping gave to Hing, and what did it signify?
5. Why did Denise want her mother to travel through China with her?
6. How did Denise find Hing's family?
7. Why did Hing not want to travel through China with Denise?
8. What did Sam do for Hing whenever he made a trip to Chinatown?
9. What changed in Huangbo's letters after the war, and why?
10. What did Yuen say was the most important thing to him in his life?
This section contains 635 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)