|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did May Ying feel about debt?
(a) She got nervous about it.
(b) She thought is was dishonorable.
(c) She loved it.
(d) She was comfortable with it.
2. Who told May Ying her third child would be a boy?
(a) A dream.
(c) A doctor.
(d) A fortune teller.
3. Who made many blunders in Sam's business?
(d) May Ying.
4. What game did Sam start a business around?
(b) Mah Jong.
(d) Stipple Sticks.
5. What surprised May Ying about her third child?
(a) It was deformed.
(b) It was a girl.
(c) It was large.
(d) It was small.
Short Answer Questions
1. What changed Hing's opinion of her father?
2. What kind of medicine did Sam get large a stockpile of?
3. Who helped Hing choose her new name?
4. How did May Ying often pay her gambling debts?
5. How did May Ying get the money her husband needed when he asked?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was May Ying able to pay for Sam's return trip to Canada?
2. What caused years of no available work for Sam?
3. Why did May Ying tell Sam to return to China?
4. What did Granny Yi do for May Ying?
5. Where did Sam find May Ying when she failed to come home one night?
6. What bad habit did May Ying fall into while living in Canada with Hing?
7. Why did Hing become resentful of her mother?
8. What made May Ying feel jealous when Huangbo had a son?
9. What were Guen's stipulations for giving money to May Ying?
10. What did Sam do to try and keep in contact with Hing?
This section contains 600 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)