|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did May Ying think Sam was an important man when they first met?
(a) Everyone knew him.
(b) He could afford a concubine.
(c) He was met with loud applause.
(d) He ordered a taxi.
2. How did May Ying often pay her gambling debts?
(a) Other men paid them for her.
(b) She traded furniture and other items.
(c) She would work it off.
(d) She traded sexual favors.
3. What did Sam want others in China to think of him after leaving Hing?
(a) That he did well in Canada.
(b) That he was respected.
(c) That he was wealthy.
(d) That he had a son.
4. What was strange about Sam getting a taxi for May Ying?
(a) She didn't ask for it.
(b) It had a white driver.
(c) He would never get one for himself.
(d) He lived near by.
5. How did many people describe Hing when May Ying would take her out?
(a) Well behaved.
(d) Strange looking.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was May Ying at the beginning of the book?
2. What did Hing notice about the gift from her sister at the beginning of the book?
3. How old was May Ying when she was sold for the first time?
4. What did Ping say about Huangbo?
5. How long was May Ying without Sam in Canada?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did May Ying dress hing when Sam left for China?
2. What did Granny Yi do for May Ying?
3. What did Guen give money to May Ying for?
4. What were Guen's stipulations for giving money to May Ying?
5. What did families in Canada all have that May Ying liked?
6. Where did Sam find May Ying when she failed to come home one night?
7. What did Sam do to try and keep in contact with Hing?
8. How did Sam try to save face with May Ying's affair?
9. What did May Ying like about the children in Nanaimo?
10. How was May Ying able to pay for Sam's return trip to Canada?
This section contains 612 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)