|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Ping not think much of her mother?
(a) She was selfish.
(b) She was never around.
(c) She was not beautiful.
(d) She was a prostitute.
2. Why did Sam want May Ying to quit her job?
(a) So she would protect her hands.
(b) So he didn't have to share her.
(c) So she couldn't make money to move out.
(d) So he could see her more often.
3. What did May Ying make money for?
(a) To buy her freedom.
(b) To get her own house.
(c) To get herself back to China.
(d) To send money to Sam's wife.
4. What kind of threat was in China when Sam went to Canada after his son was born?
5. Who first saw what was wrong with Huangbo's son?
(a) The doctor.
(d) The midwife.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did May Ying do when Sam discovered her affair?
2. What kind of mother was May Ying to Hing?
3. What grade did Hing repeat?
4. How was Hing's house in the past?
5. How did Sam introduce the owner of the Peking House to May Ying?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did families in Canada all have that May Ying liked?
2. What made May Ying feel relieved when Huangbo had a son?
3. Why did Sam and May Ying live in Canada instead of America?
4. Why did Hing write letters to Huangbo?
5. What made May Ying so popular with the people in Canada?
6. What did Granny Yi do for May Ying?
7. What did Sam chastise May Ying for when he found her after she had not come home one night?
8. How did Hing feel about Guen, and why?
9. Why did May Ying tell Sam to return to China?
10. What did Sam plan to do for Hing when she turned 5, and why?
This section contains 634 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)