|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What surprised May Ying about her third child?
(a) It was large.
(b) It was a girl.
(c) It was small.
(d) It was deformed.
2. What game did Sam start a business around?
(a) Stipple Sticks.
(b) Mah Jong.
3. What changed Hing's opinion of her father?
(a) His phone calls.
(b) Her mother's words about him.
(c) Her teacher's statements about him.
(d) His letters.
4. Why did May Ying refuse to do what concubines were expected to do?
(a) She made money.
(b) She had daughters.
(c) She could control the wife.
(d) She was sickly.
5. What were concubines traditionally expected to do in the household?
(a) The cleaning.
(b) The house work.
(c) The gardening.
(d) The cooking.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Hing console herself for her broken home?
2. How did May Ying feel when she may Huangbo cry?
3. How old was Shortie Lan when she met May Ying?
4. Why did Sam's business fail?
5. Why did May Ying always send money to her husband when he asked for it?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Sam plan to do for Hing when she turned 5, and why?
2. How did May Ying dress hing when Sam left for China?
3. Where did Sam find May Ying when she failed to come home one night?
4. What did Hing do to get her mother's attention, and how was it received?
5. How was May Ying able to pay for Sam's return trip to Canada?
6. How did Sam try to save face with May Ying's affair?
7. What kept Sam from returning home to China when he was out of work?
8. What did Sam do to try and keep in contact with Hing?
9. What caused years of no available work for Sam?
10. What made May Ying so popular with the people in Canada?
This section contains 647 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)