|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Ping marry someone below her status?
(a) She wanted to stay near Huangbo.
(b) She wanted to live with Hing.
(c) She wanted to move out of her house.
(d) She wanted to ease the burden on Huangbo.
2. How far away was John transferred for work after Sam's death?
(a) 1,000 miles.
(b) 500 miles.
(c) 1,250 miles.
(d) 750 miles.
3. How many sisters did Hing have?
4. Why did Huangbo end the schooling for Ping?
(a) The teachers were fired.
(b) Sam told her to.
(c) Money from Canada stopped coming.
(d) She got too old.
5. What pleased Sam about Hing?
(a) Her beauty.
(b) Her good grades.
(c) Her hatred of her mother.
(d) Her obedience.
6. Where did Nan first learn she was sick?
(a) In the field.
(b) In the school.
(c) In her bed.
(d) In the hospital.
7. What did Hing want to be when she grew up?
(a) A teacher.
(b) A doctor.
(c) A painter.
(d) A mother.
8. What did Denise want to tell Ping about May Ying?
(a) The way she died.
(b) Her life story.
(c) Some good things.
(d) Her true nature.
9. Who told Hing about May Ying's death?
(b) Gok Lek.
10. Where was John transferred to for work?
(b) Prince John.
11. What was the name of Hing's 5th child?
12. Where did hing meet Doreen?
(a) The market.
(c) A tea house.
(d) The library.
13. How did Yuen hope to get his daughter out of China?
(a) Hiding her in a shipping crate.
(b) Getting her married to a man outside of China.
(c) Paying a ransom.
(d) Forging a birth certificate.
14. What did Gok Lek do to become a ward of something?
(a) He ran away.
(b) He broke the law.
(c) He requested his documentation.
(d) He testified against his mother.
15. Why was May Ying evicted from her apartment?
(a) She had a bad cough.
(b) She had gentleman callers.
(c) She was unemployed.
(d) She was late with the rent.
Short Answer Questions
1. What ended the war in Japan?
2. How did May Ying start living with Guen?
3. What caused Hing to call her mother in Winnipeg?
4. How did most Chinese people view Yuen's deformity?
5. Where did Huangbo go for food during the war?
This section contains 409 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)