|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What impressed Denise about Yuen?
(a) His alert eyes.
(b) His booming voice.
(c) His deformity.
(d) His heighth.
2. How many sisters did Hing have?
3. What did May Ying do to pay for Yuen's house?
(a) Worked as a waitress.
(c) Borrowed money.
(d) Invested money.
4. What made May Ying say that Hing should die?
(a) She was late for curfew.
(b) She failed a class.
(c) She befriended a white girl.
(d) She told a lie.
5. Where did Nan work during the war?
(a) The docks.
(b) The fields.
(c) The airport.
(d) The tea houses.
6. Where was Ping's husband from?
(a) The Army.
(c) The village.
7. What did Guen teach Hing to wash?
(a) Her socks.
(b) Her shoes.
(c) Her dress.
(d) Her hair.
8. Why were May Ying's visits with her grand kids cut short?
(a) She was drinking.
(b) She was sick.
(c) She was busy.
(d) She was depressed.
9. What caused Gok Leng to get his life together?
(a) His father died.
(b) He met a girl.
(c) His education.
(d) Watching his mother.
10. Why did Huangbo end the schooling for Ping?
(a) Sam told her to.
(b) Money from Canada stopped coming.
(c) She got too old.
(d) The teachers were fired.
11. What happened in China when the war broke out?
(a) There were shortages.
(b) The government shut down.
(c) Travel was stopped.
(d) Men left their homes.
12. Who did Hing say raised her?
(b) Her father.
(d) Her mother.
13. Who wanted to buy Hing a coat when her mother was in Winnipeg?
(a) Her mother.
(b) Her father.
(c) Her baorder.
(d) Her boyfriend.
14. How did Hing feel about living with Guen?
(a) She was offended.
(b) She was angry.
(c) She was happy.
(d) She was nervous.
15. What changed in Huangbo's letters after the war?
(a) They were short.
(b) They asked for more money all the time.
(c) They were full of Communist rhetoric.
(d) They were depressed.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of tournament was May Ying involved in?
2. How did May Ying start living with Guen?
3. What did Hing want to be when she grew up?
4. Where in China did Denise meet her mother when they traveled?
5. Where did Nan first learn she was sick?
This section contains 377 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)