|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kept Hing motivated at her vocational school?
(a) Her desire to please her mother.
(b) Her friendship with Doreen.
(c) Her encouragement from her father.
(d) Her goals for the future.
2. What pleased Sam about Hing?
(a) Her obedience.
(b) Her good grades.
(c) Her beauty.
(d) Her hatred of her mother.
3. How did May Ying start living with Guen?
(a) He offered to buy Hing.
(b) He moved into the same building.
(c) She claimed to be pregnant.
(d) She was evicted.
4. Why were May Ying's visits with her grand kids cut short?
(a) She was depressed.
(b) She was sick.
(c) She was drinking.
(d) She was busy.
5. What was May Ying arrested for?
(b) Illegal gambling.
(d) Selling drugs.
6. How did Hing respond to the lawsuit filed against her?
(a) She moved.
(b) She filed her own lawsuit.
(c) She had him arrested.
(d) She paid the money.
7. Where did Nan work during the war?
(a) The tea houses.
(b) The docks.
(c) The airport.
(d) The fields.
8. What happened in China when the war broke out?
(a) There were shortages.
(b) Men left their homes.
(c) Travel was stopped.
(d) The government shut down.
9. Where did hing meet Doreen?
(a) The market.
(b) A tea house.
(c) The library.
10. Who wanted to buy Hing a coat when her mother was in Winnipeg?
(a) Her mother.
(b) Her boyfriend.
(c) Her father.
(d) Her baorder.
11. What did Yuen say marked his identity?
(a) His intelligence.
(b) His heart.
(c) His family.
(d) His deformity.
12. How did May Ying die?
(a) She was in a car accident.
(b) She had the flu.
(c) She had an allergic reaction.
(d) She got an infected cut.
13. How did Hing learn that her mother was arrested?
(a) She saw her being carried away.
(b) She got a phone call.
(c) Guen told her.
(d) She read it in the newspaper.
14. Where did Hing meet with Ping?
(a) The Hong Kong Market place.
(b) An airport.
(c) Chang Bar Gin.
(d) Huangbo's grave.
15. What did Hing want to be when she grew up?
(a) A doctor.
(b) A teacher.
(c) A mother.
(d) A painter.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Hing feel about living with Guen?
2. How did Ping recognize Hing when they met?
3. How did Ping know so much about May Ying?
4. Why did Doreen drop out of school?
5. How did Hing feel when she was given a coat?
This section contains 420 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)