|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Yuen hope to get his daughter out of China?
(a) Hiding her in a shipping crate.
(b) Paying a ransom.
(c) Forging a birth certificate.
(d) Getting her married to a man outside of China.
2. What caused Hing to call her mother in Winnipeg?
(a) She graduated.
(b) She got the coat.
(c) She felt used.
(d) She had a dream.
3. Where did Ping work during the war?
(a) The fields.
(b) The airport.
(c) The docks.
(d) The tea houses.
4. What did Densie say made Hing so sad?
(a) She wanted another child.
(b) She missed her mother.
(c) She knew her husband was dying.
(d) She had a bad childhood.
5. Who was with May Ying while she did not communicate with Hing?
(b) Gok Lek.
(d) All of these.
6. Who wanted to buy Hing a coat when her mother was in Winnipeg?
(a) Her father.
(b) Her mother.
(c) Her baorder.
(d) Her boyfriend.
7. What kind of tournament was May Ying involved in?
(b) Fortune telling.
8. Why was May Ying evicted from her apartment?
(a) She had a bad cough.
(b) She was late with the rent.
(c) She was unemployed.
(d) She had gentleman callers.
9. Where did hing meet Doreen?
(b) A tea house.
(c) The library.
(d) The market.
10. Why did Denise say she wasn't really Chinese?
(a) Her sisters were dead.
(b) She was born in Canada.
(c) She didn't know the language.
(d) Her father was American.
11. How long did May Ying and Hing go without communicating with each other?
(a) 2 years.
(b) 3 years.
(c) 4 years.
(d) 1 year.
12. What did Gok Lek do to become a ward of something?
(a) He requested his documentation.
(b) He testified against his mother.
(c) He broke the law.
(d) He ran away.
13. What did Yuen say marked his identity?
(a) His family.
(b) His deformity.
(c) His intelligence.
(d) His heart.
14. How much did May Ying win at her tournament?
15. What changed in Huangbo's letters after the war?
(a) They asked for more money all the time.
(b) They were depressed.
(c) They were short.
(d) They were full of Communist rhetoric.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Ping marry someone below her status?
2. How did most Chinese people view Yuen's deformity?
3. What was the name of Hing's 5th child?
4. Where did Nan first learn she was sick?
5. Why did Huangbo's letters change after the war?
This section contains 438 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)