|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who helped Hing choose her new name?
(a) Her teacher.
(b) Her mother.
(c) Her father.
(d) Her friend.
2. How long was May Ying in Canada before her third child was born?
(a) 1 day.
(b) 2 weeks.
(c) 3 weeks.
(d) 3 days.
3. What did Sam work on when he got to China after leaving Hing?
(a) Building his house.
(b) Making a son.
(c) Finding a concubine.
(d) Investing his money.
4. How did many people describe Hing when May Ying would take her out?
(a) Well behaved.
(b) Strange looking.
5. Why did May Ying want her son to be born in Canada?
(a) So he could be born in a good hospital.
(b) So he could have citizenship there.
(c) So he could be with his grandparents.
(d) So he could have an inheritance.
6. Who smoothed over the blunders made in Sam's business?
(b) May Ying.
7. How old was May Ying at the beginning of the book?
8. Who told May Ying her third child would be a boy?
(a) A doctor.
(c) A dream.
(d) A fortune teller.
9. Why did Huangbo think her son was deformed?
(a) She did not command the concubine.
(b) She broke the legs of a chicken.
(c) She cheated on her husband.
(d) She smoked opium.
10. How old was May Ying when she was sold for the first time?
11. What game did Sam start a business around?
(b) Mah Jong.
(d) Stipple Sticks.
12. Who traveled with May Ying when she was sold to a man?
(a) Her aunt.
(c) Other slaves.
(d) The captain.
13. Why did May Ying always send money to her husband when he asked for it?
(a) So he would stay in China.
(b) So she could be with him sooner.
(c) So she would mean more to him than Huangbo.
(d) So she could support him.
14. Who made many blunders in Sam's business?
(c) May Ying.
15. Why did Sam get a stock pile of medicines in China?
(a) It made him look rich.
(b) They were unavailable in Canada.
(c) He knew he was sick.
(d) He was worried about his family.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who helped May Ying treat her aches?
2. Where was the man from who bought May Ying?
3. What changed Hing's opinion of her father?
4. What did May Ying do when Sam discovered her affair?
5. How did May Ying hope to be taken care of in her old age?
This section contains 424 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)