|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did May Ying treat her aches?
(a) Herbal remedies.
2. How did Sam introduce the owner of the Peking House to May Ying?
(a) His salvation.
(b) Her new boss.
(c) His family.
(d) A cruel man.
3. What did May Ying make money for?
(a) To get herself back to China.
(b) To send money to Sam's wife.
(c) To buy her freedom.
(d) To get her own house.
4. How was Hing related to Yuen?
(a) She was his aunt.
(b) He was her uncle.
(c) They were cousins.
(d) He was her half-brother.
5. Why did May Ying want her son to be born in Canada?
(a) So he could have an inheritance.
(b) So he could have citizenship there.
(c) So he could be born in a good hospital.
(d) So he could be with his grandparents.
6. What kind of name was Hing told to choose?
(a) An English name.
(b) A Canadian name.
(c) An American name.
(d) A pronouncable name.
7. How did May Ying get the money her husband needed when he asked?
(a) Sold items.
(b) All of these.
(c) Worked longer shifts.
(d) Borrowed money.
8. What did May Ying do when Sam discovered her affair?
(a) Paid a penance.
(b) Moved to Chinatown.
(c) Got a divorce.
(d) Agreed to move back to China.
9. Where did Sam move May Ying when he returned to Canada?
(a) An apartment.
(b) A house.
(c) A hotel.
(d) A cottage.
10. How did May Ying feel when Huangbo had a son?
11. Who paid for May Ying's passage?
(a) Her uncle.
(b) The owner of the Peking House.
(d) Her mother.
12. Who helped Sam with his saving money?
(a) His wife.
(b) The government.
(c) His father.
(d) The Chinese province.
13. Why did Ping not think much of her mother?
(a) She was not beautiful.
(b) She was never around.
(c) She was a prostitute.
(d) She was selfish.
14. What did May Ying's friends in Canada help her do while she was alone?
(a) Save up money.
(b) Have fun with other men.
(c) Feed her child.
(d) Keep her husband in China.
15. What caused Sam to occasionally stop working in China after he left Hing?
(a) He got injured.
(b) He got tired of working so hard.
(c) He got sick.
(d) He ran out of money.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the owner of the Peking House refuse to do for Sam?
2. What changed Hing's opinion of her father?
3. What was May Ying sold as?
4. Why was Sam able to save so much money?
5. What did Chinese people think of women's wages?
This section contains 469 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)