|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Sam work on when he got to China after leaving Hing?
(a) Finding a concubine.
(b) Investing his money.
(c) Building his house.
(d) Making a son.
2. Who did Sam name May Ying's first child after?
(a) His first wife.
(b) His sister.
(c) His cousin.
(d) His mother.
3. How long did May Ying have to work to re-pay what was spent on her passage?
(a) 1 year.
(b) 2 years.
(c) 4 years.
(d) 3 years.
4. Why did Sam want May Ying to quit her job?
(a) So she couldn't make money to move out.
(b) So he could see her more often.
(c) So she would protect her hands.
(d) So he didn't have to share her.
5. What kind of memories did Hing have of her father while he was away?
(a) Faded memories.
(b) Angry memories.
(c) Good memories.
(d) Dangerous memories.
6. Where was the man from who bought May Ying?
7. Why did Huangbo think her son was deformed?
(a) She broke the legs of a chicken.
(b) She did not command the concubine.
(c) She cheated on her husband.
(d) She smoked opium.
8. What did May Ying's friends in Canada help her do while she was alone?
(a) Keep her husband in China.
(b) Have fun with other men.
(c) Save up money.
(d) Feed her child.
9. What honored place did Huangbo hold for Hing?
10. Who sold May Ying?
(a) Her brother.
(b) Her uncle.
(c) Her mother.
(d) Her aunt.
11. How did May Ying get the money her husband needed when he asked?
(a) Sold items.
(b) All of these.
(c) Worked longer shifts.
(d) Borrowed money.
12. How did May Ying travel to meet the man who bought her?
(a) She joined a wagon team.
(b) She took a ship.
(c) All of the above.
(d) She rode a plane.
13. Who did Sam send money to?
(a) His wife.
(b) His brother.
(c) His nephews.
(d) All of these.
14. Why did Sam's business fail?
(a) The food was not as good.
(b) People refused to play while Sam was around.
(c) May Ying was not as beautiful.
(d) Other houses opened up for less.
15. Where did Sam move May Ying when he returned to Canada?
(a) A cottage.
(b) An apartment.
(c) A house.
(d) A hotel.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did May Ying have an affair with?
2. What was the name of Hing's sister?
3. What name did Hing choose for herself?
4. What part of town did Sam live in?
5. What did Chinese people think of women's wages?
This section contains 412 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)