|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did May Ying hope to be taken care of in her old age?
(a) By saving up her money.
(b) By moving to America.
(c) By having sons.
(d) By staying loyal to her owner.
2. Who first saw what was wrong with Huangbo's son?
(a) The midwife.
(c) The doctor.
3. Why did Sam want May Ying to quit her job?
(a) So she couldn't make money to move out.
(b) So he could see her more often.
(c) So she would protect her hands.
(d) So he didn't have to share her.
4. Who did May Ying have an affair with?
5. What caused May Ying and Huangbo to be friends?
(a) Sam lost his job.
(b) Sam talked about getting another concubine.
(c) They got sick.
(d) They both got pregnant.
6. How did May Ying feel when she may Huangbo cry?
7. How did May Ying treat her aches?
(c) Herbal remedies.
8. What honored place did Huangbo hold for Hing?
9. What did May Ying do when Sam discovered her affair?
(a) Got a divorce.
(b) Paid a penance.
(c) Moved to Chinatown.
(d) Agreed to move back to China.
10. What part of town did Sam live in?
(a) The tenements.
(d) Asian Province.
11. How was Hing related to Yuen?
(a) He was her half-brother.
(b) He was her uncle.
(c) She was his aunt.
(d) They were cousins.
12. What did Chinese people think of women's wages?
(a) They were shameful.
(b) They were for her children.
(c) They were for personal use.
(d) They were her husband's property.
13. Who made Hing stay in contact with her sisters?
(a) Her father.
(b) Her grandmother.
(c) Her mother.
(d) Her aunt.
14. Why did Sam start sending more money to China when he returned to Canada?
(a) Huangbo was pregnant.
(b) War was spreading.
(c) He felt guilty.
(d) May Ying got a raise.
15. How old was May Ying at the beginning of the book?
Short Answer Questions
1. What game did Sam start a business around?
2. Who helped Hing choose her new name?
3. Who sold May Ying?
4. How did May Ying view Nan?
5. What kind of threat was in China when Sam went to Canada after his son was born?
This section contains 386 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)