|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Sylvia feel when Bosch calls after another day in court to tell her he may not be able to see her?
2. How many times does Bosch shoot Church?
3. Who reported Rebecca missing?
4. Where does Harry go on his lunch break?
5. What topic does Chandler bring up that begins to crack Bosch's claim on the stand?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Harry Bosch say the city did not settle with the widow of Norman Church?
2. Why does Bosch feel the pieces fit for Mora being the second killer?
3. What is Bosch's reaction to Mora revealing his own theory about a second killer?
4. What is the topic of discussion in the Judge's chambers at the beginning of Chapter 17?
5. Why is Harry Bosch being sued in the beginning of Chapter 1?
6. Why is Bosch upset to learn that Rebecca was alive two years ago?
7. What does Bosch learn when he looks into the character of Tom Cerrone?
8. In Chapter 6, why is Deborah Church's testimony suspicious?
9. What mistakes are revealed about Bosch's actions on the day Norman Church was murdered?
10. What is the first thing Bosch discusses when getting on the stand to testify?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There is a running theme of desperation throughout this novel. One way this theme is demonstrated is through the use of homeless ex-lawyer. Discuss the development of this character. What effect does he have on Chandler? What effect does he have on Bosch? Do you think the way the ex-lawyer affects these characters says something about their personal desperation? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Ray Mora was hiding a secret life. Why does Mora have these secrets? How do these secrets play a role in the story, specifically how do they compare and contrast to the other crimes being committed? Why do you think the officer simply forced Mora to resign?
Essay Topic 3
Chandler paints the picture that Bosch is a rouge police officer. Based on the information she has to tell the jury, do you think she is successful in doing this? Why is there little Bosch can do to defend himself during this trial?
This section contains 804 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)