|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Uncle Remus insist that the story of the man and his corn is true?
2. Why does Uncle Remus say the guineas stay awake all night?
3. What does the boy's grandmother, Miss Sally, think of Uncle Remus' stories?
4. Where does the little boy say he has a laughing place?
5. How does Uncle Remus account for the craters on the moon?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the third generation little boy confide to Uncle Remus about his mother?
2. What is the folklore Uncle Remus tells the boy about the cricket?
3. Who are Crazy Sue, Lillian, and Lucien?
4. How does Uncle Remus convince the boy that Brer Rabbit sometimes was not the smartest creature in the whole creation?
5. What Aesop fable is similar to Uncle Remus's tale, Brother Rabbit Takes a Walk?
6. Relate Uncle Remus's tale about duplicity on the part of the bear in dealing with the alligator.
7. What is the evidence that the little boy's mother does not approve of Uncle Remus' tales?
8. How does Brer Rabbit get the other animals to work hard digging holes?
9. What is the boy's poignant declaration about his laughing place?
10. How does Brer Bear and his family get chased out of their house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay of at least two typewritten pages on the topic, The Vanishing Art of Storytelling. Your essay should state your opinion about how society has been affected by the loss of good story tellers in the oral tradition. Discuss how listening to stories requires the use of the listener's imagination. Give your opinion about the value of a good imagination in today's world. Conclude with how film makers are the successors to story tellers today.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay of at least two typewritten pages on the topic, Rural Versus City Life. Using Uncle Remus as an example, your essay should include (1) the simplicity of rural life, (2) the closeness with nature in the country, (3) the complications from having people in close proximity. Support your opinion as to which one is better.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay of at least two typewritten pages on the topic, The Different Types of Tales in Harris's Book. Give illustrations and discuss each of the following: (1) the tales with a moral often repeated from Aesop's Fables; (2) the tales as chastisement when Uncle Remus disapproves of the little boy's behavior; and (3) the tales that come from Biblical references.
This section contains 892 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)