|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the story of Mr. Lion and his wool an example of in the Uncle Remus stories?
2. What causes the man to pour hot water down the chimney?
3. In the tale, Brother Fox and the White Muscadines, what happens after Brer Rabbit helps him climb a tree?
4. How does Uncle Remus account for the craters on the moon?
5. What absurd things does Teenchy-Tiny-Duck have in his bag?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the preacher man expose the miller man's wife as a witch?
2. Describe Brer Rabbit's invitation to the other animals to a barbecue.
3. What is the news Uncle Remus rlates to the boy on the night of Christmas Eve?
4. What is the boy's poignant declaration about his laughing place?
5. Explain how Uncle Remus relates superstitious ideas about scientific phenomena.
6. What is the evidence that the little boy's mother does not approve of Uncle Remus' tales?
7. How does Brer Bear and his family get chased out of their house?
8. In the story of the witch-wolf, explain why she wanted to marry a man.
9. How does Uncle Remus convince the boy that Brer Rabbit sometimes was not the smartest creature in the whole creation?
10. What is the lesson of the Doodang?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay of at least two typewritten pages on the topic, The Main Characters in The Complete Tales of Uncle Remus. Your essay should include character sketches of Brer Rabbit, Brer Fox, and Brer Bear. State how each of those characters relate to the small boys listening to the tales. Conclude with an evaluation of why Brer Rabbit is of particular interest to the boy.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay of at least two typewritten pages on the topic, The Character of Uncle Remus. Give your impressions of Uncle Remus as (1) a freed slave who elects to remain on the plantation, (2) his sense of morality and child discipline, and (3) his ability as a storyteller.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay of at least two typewritten pages on the topic, The Relationships Between Animals and People in the Remus Tales. (1) What subliminal message do you get from those interactions? (2) Are the animals generally smarter than the people? (3) Why does Uncle Remus include people at all?
This section contains 947 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)