|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the small cricket cause the animals to run?
2. How does Uncle Remus excuse Brer Rabbit for hideous behavior with Granny Wolf?
3. What does the fox try to do to the mud turtle?
4. what social event do the little boy and Uncle Remus attend?
5. How does Uncle Remus respond to the boy's wish to fly?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the evidence that the little boy's mother does not approve of Uncle Remus' tales?
2. What is Uncle Remus' response when the little boy asks when once upon a time is?
3. How does Brer Rabbit describe his wife's behavior as he visits with Brer Wolf and Brer Fox?
4. What tale does Uncle Remus tell his young boy helper when the boy begins to tire of turning the grinding wheel?
5. What is the influence that the little boy's mother relies on in bring up the boy thereby affecting his imagination?
6. Who is the company everyone tells the blacksmith he is going to have soon?
7. Relate Uncle Remus's tale about duplicity on the part of the bear in dealing with the alligator.
8. How is the little boy stymied in his efforts to slip up on Uncle Remus to scare him?
9. How does Uncle Remus convince the boy that Brer Rabbit sometimes was not the smartest creature in the whole creation?
10. What are the preposterous provisions Teenchy-Tiny duck makes to try and retrieve her bag of gold?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay of at least two typewritten pages on the topic, The Importance of Story Tellers in the 19th Century. (1) Discuss why good story tellers like Uncle Remus were so important in those days for want of other types of entertainment, (2) analyze the ability of story tellers that made some better than others, and (3) the importance of handing down an oral tradition before the time when books and other media made it possible to record both stories and history.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay of at least two typewritten pages on the topic, The Complete Tales of Uncle Remus is Not Children's Literature. Salient points should include (1) the violence in the tales; (2) the moral questions of theft and lies as appropriate behavior under certain circumstances; and (3) the adult nature of certain situations among the human characters in the book.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay of at least two typewritten pages on the topic, How Uncle Remus's Tales are Easily Adapted for Children. (1) Begin with the Disney animations of the Brer Rabbit stories; (2) contrast the Brer Rabbit character from the book with children's story books adapted from the tales; and (3) conclude with an argument that the adaptations are more appropriate for children by what they leave out.
This section contains 1,032 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)