|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Uncle Remus shake his head at African Jack?
2. How does Brer Rabbit trick Brer Fox out of his hunting game?
3. What tale of Uncle Remus is likely the most cruel?
4. How does Brer Rabbit get revenge on Brer Wolf?
5. Why does Brer Fox sit under a sycamore with his mouth open?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Uncle Remus explain the difference between Brer Rabbit and the rabbits the boy sees today.
2. Describe the little boy's reaction to the tale of the race between Brer Rabbit and Brer Tarrypin.
3. How is Brer Fox caught by his appetite under the Pimmerly Plum?
4. How does Uncle Remus introduce the character of Brer Rabbit to the little boy?
5. What prompts Aunt Tempy to say she must return to the cabin of Uncle Remus more often?
6. Why does Brer Fox get dragged along behind Brer Wolf?
7. In the story, The Moon in the Mill-Pond, how do Brer Rabbit and Brer Tarrypin keep the bear, the fox, and the wolf occupied while they visit Miss Meadows?
8. What happens to Brer Wolf as he is being raised to the top of Brer Rabbit's steeple?
9. Describe Brer Bear's reaction when he discovers he has been hoodwinked by Brer Rabbit in the peanut patch.
10. What is the subject matter one evening that disturbs Aunt Tempy and the little boy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay of at least two typewritten pages on the topic, The Complete Tales of Uncle Remus is Not Children's Literature. Salient points should include (1) the violence in the tales; (2) the moral questions of theft and lies as appropriate behavior under certain circumstances; and (3) the adult nature of certain situations among the human characters in the book.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay of at least two typewritten pages on the topic, The Supernatural in Folklore. First refer to examples of witches and devils in the Uncle Remus tales. Then, discuss how the supernatural is most often used to explain the otherwise unexplainable. Finally, discuss the fascination people have with the supernatural, giving examples of how it appears in literature, art, and movies to this day.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay of at least two typewritten pages on the topic, Exposing Children to Violence. Discuss the violence in the Uncle Remus tales. Point out some of the reactions the little boy has to some of the more violent or frightening tales. Then discuss
This section contains 1,035 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)