|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Daddy Jack change Uncle Remus' story about the fox in the garden?
2. How does Brer Possum react when attacked by the dog?
3. What upsets the little boy about the possum and the missing butter?
4. Why does Miss Sally write out a pass for Uncle Remus?
5. What does Brer Rabbit tell Brer Fox that makes him run away when he is pulled out of the well?
Short Essay Questions
1. What moral question does the little boy raise after hearing how Brer Rabbit tricked Mr. Mann out of his meat?
2. How does Mr. Tarrypin fool Brer Fox into letting him go?
3. How is Brer Fox caught by his appetite under the Pimmerly Plum?
4. How does Uncle Remus explain the difference between Brer Rabbit and the rabbits the boy sees today.
5. How does Brer Rabbit convince the fox to take his place in Mr. Man's box trap?
6. In the story, The Moon in the Mill-Pond, how do Brer Rabbit and Brer Tarrypin keep the bear, the fox, and the wolf occupied while they visit Miss Meadows?
7. How do the frogs trick Brer Fox into falling into the pond?
8. Describe the similarity of the tale, How Brother Rabbit Frightened His Neighbors, to the nursery story of Henny Penny and the Falling Sky.
9. What happens to Brer Wolf as he is being raised to the top of Brer Rabbit's steeple?
10. What is the subject matter one evening that disturbs Aunt Tempy and the little boy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay of at least two typewritten pages on the topic, Is the Book by Joel Chandler Harris Politically Incorrect? Take this essay beyond just the surface and examine the possible motives Harris had for writing the book and whether it is politically correct to depict events as they existed at the time. If there are areas that you find objectionable, list and discuss those in detail.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay of at least two typewritten pages on the topic, The Character of Uncle Remus. Give your impressions of Uncle Remus as (1) a freed slave who elects to remain on the plantation, (2) his sense of morality and child discipline, and (3) his ability as a storyteller.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay of at least two typewritten pages on the topic, What I See as the Main Value of the Uncle Remus Tales. Give your opinion as to the entertainment value of the stories, the historical value of the tales, and the importance of preserving the dialects of the past.
This section contains 1,085 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)