|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Section 6, The Tales of Uncle Remus and Brer Rabbit.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the story of Mr. Lion and his wool an example of in the Uncle Remus stories?
(a) using animals that inhabit the southern states.
(b) Uncle Remus's lack of imagination.
(c) explaining why animals look the way they do.
(d) jokes Uncle Remus plays on the little boy's mind.
2. What becomes of the blacksmith that made a deal with the Devil which prevented him from both Heaven and Hell?
(a) he roams the earth as a Jacky-my-lantern.
(b) he becomes an owl that never dies.
(c) he eats little children who go out at night.
(d) he flies like a bat at night.
3. What happens when the alligator runs through the fire?
(a) he gets rough bumps all over his skin.
(b) he lears to walk upright.
(c) he loses his fur.
(d) he runs to cool off in the pond.
4. How is Brer Rabbit's idea of sewing the dog's mouth shut like the Aesop fable of the Mice and the Cat?
(a) mice fear the dog in one story and the cat in the other.
(b) the dog never closes his mouth like the cat.
(c) rabbits and mice have no fingers to use for sewing.
(d) no one wnts to do the sewing like no one would bell the cat.
5. How does the rabbit explain the disappearance of the horses and cart to the wolf?
(a) he bloodies his nose and says robbers came.
(b) he plays unconcsious as though he were attacked.
(c) he holds two horse tails buried in the sand.
(d) hehides the cart and shoos the horses away.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the fox's tail have a white tip?
2. Who answers Brer Tarrypin by saying, "knee deep"?
3. How does Uncle Remus say the fox got black legs?
4. In Daddy Jack's story, why does the Snake eat the woman's baby?
5. What tale by Uncle Remus probably causes the accusation of racism leveled at Joel Chandler Harris?
This section contains 436 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)