|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What room does the girl in “The Comforts of Home” stay in?
2. What do Mr. Head and his grandson forget on the train?
3. How old is Asbury?
4. What are Norton and Rufus both interested in?
5. Who believes that Thomas and the girl were scheming all along to kill his mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the college girl in “Revelation” have a seizure?
2. How does O’Connor get her title for “The Comforts of Home”?
3. Who is supposed to shoot the bull in “Greanleaf”?
4. What is Mrs. Tilman worried about?
5. Why does the grandfather in “A View of the Woods” sell parcels of his land?
6. Why does Asbury ask his mother to call for the priest?
7. How are the two teenage girls in “A Temple of the Holy Ghost” hypocritical?
8. Why does Thomas hide the gun in the guest room?
9. What happens to Mr. Tilman?
10. Which character has the keenest sense of observation in “A Temple of the Holy Ghost”?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In “Enoch and the Gorilla”, Enoch is jubilant, convinced his outer appearance has changed him inside as well, but when he attempts to befriend a nearby couple, they are terrified of his realistic gorilla look and they run off screaming. What is O’Connor suggesting happens when people change their outward appearance in an attempt to change who they are? What other stories in this collection have characters who attempt at changing physical means to change internally?
Essay Topic 2
There are many small subplots in “The Peeler” that all connect to Hazel Motes as he is walking through town. This story discusses many details of what life was like for many different people on different societal and moral levels. Why does Hazel Motes follow the red-haired girl and the blind man? Why does Hazel think of Leora, his father’s voyeurism and his mother’s puritanical beliefs? What is haunting Hazel Motes?
Essay Topic 3
a. How does religion play a role in short stories in The Complete Stories?
b. What religious motifs arise again and again in O’Connor’s work?
This section contains 675 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)