|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Calhoun find them when he arrives to visit someone in “The Partridge Festival”?
2. What does Mrs. Turpin do in the waiting room?
3. How old is Calhoun?
4. From what age has Mr. Head reared his grandson?
5. What is Calhoun interested in?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the cause of Mrs. McIntyre’s poor decision-making?
2. What happens to Mary Fortune?
3. What does Julian find embarrassing about his mother?
4. Why is the father irritated with his son in “The Lame Shall Enter First”?
5. Who is supposed to shoot the bull in “Greanleaf”?
6. Why does Thomas hide the gun in the guest room?
7. Why does Asbury ask his mother to call for the priest?
8. How does the old man wish to be buried in “You Can’t Be Any Poorer Than Dead”?
9. Why does Mrs. May want the bull removed from her pasture?
10. Why does the conman steal the daughter’s artificial leg?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
O’Connor includes a lot of description of the natural world in her writing. What do the detailed descriptions of skies, sunsets, top lines of trees, and clouds indicate about the author? How many sunsets are depicted with exceptional clarity?
Essay Topic 2
O’ Connor’s writing is full of absurd images and grotesque scenes. What is absurd about Enoch Emery’s behavior? What is comical about his discoveries, his routine and his expectations? What is O’Connor suggesting by the absurdity of this story?
Essay Topic 3
a. How does religion play a role in short stories in The Complete Stories?
b. What religious motifs arise again and again in O’Connor’s work?
This section contains 630 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)