|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who tries to get Francis to live with him after he is orphaned?
2. What is the girl’s real name in “The Comforts of Home”?
3. Who is Calhoun going to visit?
4. Where does Sheppard work on Saturdays?
5. What is being built next to the grandfather’s property in “A View of the Woods”?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens at the end of “The Displaced Person”? How is it an example of irony?
2. How does O’Connor get her title for “The Comforts of Home”?
3. What does Rufus do to the neighbors?
4. What does Mrs. Turpin do in the waiting room?
5. Why does the conman steal the daughter’s artificial leg?
6. Where does Calhoun find Singelton?
7. What happens to Mr. Tilman?
8. What happens to Mary Fortune?
9. Why is the father irritated with his son in “The Lame Shall Enter First”?
10. Why does the grandfather in “A View of the Woods” sell parcels of his land?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are many small subplots in “The Peeler” that all connect to Hazel Motes as he is walking through town. This story discusses many details of what life was like for many different people on different societal and moral levels. Why does Hazel Motes follow the red-haired girl and the blind man? Why does Hazel think of Leora, his father’s voyeurism and his mother’s puritanical beliefs? What is haunting Hazel Motes?
Essay Topic 2
Many of the settings in The Complete Stories take place on small farms and in small southern towns. Do you think Flannery O'Connor paints a realistic picture of life in a small town and on a farm? What about small-town southern people?
Essay Topic 3
a. How does O’Connor write about racism in the South?
b. Who is O’Connor the most critical of in regards to racism?
This section contains 597 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)