|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Besides her name and illness, what else does the girl fake in “The Comforts of Home”?
2. What so-called disease does the girl Thomas’s mother helps have in “The Comforts of Home”?
3. What is Calhoun interested in?
4. How old is Francis Tarwater?
5. Who is at Tilman’s house when he returns?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the old man wish to be buried in “You Can’t Be Any Poorer Than Dead”?
2. How are the two teenage girls in “A Temple of the Holy Ghost” hypocritical?
3. Why is Parker initially attracted to his wife?
4. Why does Thomas hide the gun in the guest room?
5. What does Rufus do to the neighbors?
6. What does Mrs. Turpin do in the waiting room?
7. Why does Mrs. May want the bull removed from her pasture?
8. Where does Calhoun find Singelton?
9. How does O’Connor get her title for “The Comforts of Home”?
10. Why does Calhoun visit his great-aunts?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Children appear in many of O’Connor’s stories. What are the roles of children in O’Connor’s work? What happens to children in her stories?
Essay Topic 2
In “Enoch and the Gorilla”, Enoch is jubilant, convinced his outer appearance has changed him inside as well, but when he attempts to befriend a nearby couple, they are terrified of his realistic gorilla look and they run off screaming. What is O’Connor suggesting happens when people change their outward appearance in an attempt to change who they are? What other stories in this collection have characters who attempt at changing physical means to change internally?
Essay Topic 3
In the beginning of the story “The Barber”, Rayber is reminiscing about his last shave. He tries to think of a rebuttal to all that the barber said. What are Rayber’s beliefs? What are the barber’s beliefs? Why does Rayber feel a need to convince the barber? Why does Rayber feel bad that he doesn’t stand up for his beliefs? Who’s listening into their conversation?
This section contains 633 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)