|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What animals does Mrs. Turpin water at the end of “Revelation”?
2. What room does the girl in “The Comforts of Home” stay in?
3. What is the girl’s real name in “The Comforts of Home”?
4. How does the girl in “The Comforts of Home” treat Thomas?
5. What is wrong with Julian’s mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Asbury ask his mother to call for the priest?
2. Why does Tarwater destroy all evidence of his former life and move away?
3. What does Rufus do to the neighbors?
4. Under what assumption does the daughter in “Good Country People” and mother trust the Bible salesman?
5. Why is the father irritated with his son in “The Lame Shall Enter First”?
6. What does Mrs. Turpin do in the waiting room?
7. Why doesn’t the grandson in “The Artificial Nigger” ever want to travel to the city again?
8. What happens at the end of “The Displaced Person”? How is it an example of irony?
9. Why does Calhoun visit his great-aunts?
10. Why does Thomas hide the gun in the guest room?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In “The Geranium”, Old Dudley longs for his friend, Rabie, back in his southern hometown. What is ironic about his longing for home? Why does it bother Old Dudley that the African-American neighbor calls him Old Timer? How are his feelings for the neighbor and his feelings for Rabie contradictory?
Essay Topic 2
O’Connor’s work is often described as morbid, namely because she often has children die in her stories. How many stories have similarly neglected small children that die at the end? What does this represent?
Essay Topic 3
Old Gabriel in “The Wildcat” is said to be one of O’Connor’s most universal characters, what critics dub an “everyman”. Why do you think that Old Gabriel is considered a universal character? What themes in The Wildcat are relatable to all people?
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)