|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the grandmother have hiding under the newspaper in the backseat in “A Good Man is Hard to Find”?
2. What time does the babysitter pick up the boy in “The River”?
3. Who dose Hazel accompany to the dining car?
4. What was Old Dudley waiting for while looking out the window?
5. Who helps Old Dudley up the stairs?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does O’Connor use foreshadowing in “A Good Man is Hard to Find”?
2. Why does Rayber change barbers?
3. How does Mrs. Willerton feel about her daily life?
4. Why doesn’t the hitchhiker ride with Mr. Shiflet when he pulls over for him?
5. Why is Enoch convinced that he must show Hazel Weaver the mummified man?
6. Why is the man in the gorilla suit irritated with Enoch?
7. Why is Ruller afraid something bad is about to happen?
8. What does Mrs. Willerton wish that she had more time for?
9. What dismays Ruby about Rufus choosing collard greens as his something “special” that she will make for him?
10. How does Mr. Shiflet convince the widow of his sincerity?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
O’Connor’s stories are rich with symbolic irony. How does O’Connor demonstrate this in “The River”?
Essay Topic 2
Racism is a major theme in all of O’Connor’s stories. Discuss your idea of Flannery O'Connor's beliefs about racism. How would her work be received today?
Essay Topic 3
Children appear in many of O’Connor’s stories. What are the roles of children in O’Connor’s work? What happens to children in her stories?
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)