|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Ruller give a dime to?
2. What was Old Dudley waiting for while looking out the window?
3. Where does Rufus return home from?
4. What is in Ruby’s sack?
5. Who dose Hazel accompany to the dining car?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Enoch convinced that he must show Hazel Weaver the mummified man?
2. Why is the man in the gorilla suit irritated with Enoch?
3. Why is it ironic that the young boy’s parents are going to the river to the baptisms in “The River”?
4. What does Old Dudley think about New York?
5. Why is Hazel Motes reluctant to befriend Enoch Emery?
6. Why doesn’t the grandmother want to drive through Georgia in “A Good Man is Hard to Find”?
7. How is the General dying at the commencement a form of irony?
8. What does Mrs. Willerton wish that she had more time for?
9. Why is Ruller afraid something bad is about to happen?
10. What does Enoch Emery’s daily routine consist of?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Racism is a major theme in all of O’Connor’s stories. Discuss your idea of Flannery O'Connor's beliefs about racism. How would her work be received today?
Essay Topic 2
O’Connor was a young educated woman living in the south. She was deeply religious and suffered from Lupus at a young age. How are the circumstances of her own life reflected in the lives’ of her characters?
Essay Topic 3
In “The Geranium”, Old Dudley longs for his friend, Rabie, back in his southern hometown. What is ironic about his longing for home? Why does it bother Old Dudley that the African-American neighbor calls him Old Timer? How are his feelings for the neighbor and his feelings for Rabie contradictory?
This section contains 797 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)