|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to the farm at the end of ”The Displaced Person”?
(a) Nothing, the farm continues as usual.
(b) Mr. Shortley is the new owner.
(c) An auctioneer auctions it off.
(d) It burns down.
2. Who does Thomas live with?
(a) His father.
(b) His mother.
(c) His son.
(d) His sister.
3. Where does the stroke happen in “Why Do the Heathen Rage”?
(a) At the diner.
(b) At the grocery store.
(c) At the state capitol.
(d) At the doctor’s office.
4. Who is disgusted with Asbury?
(a) His sister, Mary George.
(b) The professor.
(c) The priest.
(d) His mother, Emme Lee.
5. Who is Calhoun going to visit?
(a) His mother and sister.
(b) His two great-aunts.
(c) His cousins.
(d) His sister and aunt.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who steps out of the black car in “The Displaced Person”?
2. What does Mrs. Greenleaf do with the articles she cuts out from the newspaper?
3. Why is Julian embarrassed by his mother?
4. Who tries to get Francis to live with him after he is orphaned?
5. Who does the mother realize Walter’s book is about?
Short Essay Questions
1. Under what assumption does the daughter in “Good Country People” and mother trust the Bible salesman?
2. What does Mrs. Turpin do in the waiting room?
3. Why does the college girl in “Revelation” have a seizure?
4. How does the old man wish to be buried in “You Can’t Be Any Poorer Than Dead”?
5. What does Julian find embarrassing about his mother?
6. What happens at the end of “The Displaced Person”? How is it an example of irony?
7. Why doesn’t the grandson in “The Artificial Nigger” ever want to travel to the city again?
8. Why does Asbury ask his mother to call for the priest?
9. Why does Tarwater destroy all evidence of his former life and move away?
10. Why is Parker initially attracted to his wife?
This section contains 656 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)