|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mrs. Turpin do in the waiting room?
(a) Prattles on and on, boring and irritating all of the others that are waiting.
(b) Read her Bible murmuring prayers under her breath.
(d) Passes out cookies to all of the other patients in the waiting room.
2. What so-called disease does the girl Thomas’s mother helps have in “The Comforts of Home”?
(b) “Hypremesis gravidarum.”
3. What happened to Claud’s leg?
(a) He has the gout.
(b) He fell off of his bicycle.
(c) One of the cows kicked him in the shin.
(d) It got caught in a tractor turbine.
4. Who dies in the beginning of “You Can’t Be Any Poorer Than Dead”?
(a) Francis Tarwater’s father.
(b) Francis Tarwater’s
(c) Francis Tarwater’s great uncle.
(d) Francis Tarwater.
5. How old is Mr. Head?
6. What are Norton and Rufus both interested in?
7. What is stolen from Joy?
(a) Her clothes.
(b) Her artificial leg.
(c) Her wig.
(d) Her virginity.
8. Where does Calhoun find them when he arrives to visit someone in “The Partridge Festival”?
(a) Grocery shopping.
(b) Bathing at the river.
(c) Cooking dinner.
(d) Sitting on the front porch.
9. What happens to the farm at the end of ”The Displaced Person”?
(a) Nothing, the farm continues as usual.
(b) Mr. Shortley is the new owner.
(c) It burns down.
(d) An auctioneer auctions it off.
10. How old is Asbury?
11. What does Dr. Block tell Asbury?
(a) That he is not a genius.
(b) That his mother is not dying.
(c) That he is not dying.
(d) That he is dying.
12. What does Thomas hide in the guest room in the hopes that the girl will find it?
(a) A fish.
(b) A dead cat.
(c) A revolver.
13. Who is Mrs. Shortley?
(a) The wife of the hired hand.
(b) A widow.
(c) The displaced person.
(d) The farm owner.
14. What does Tarwater dig in “You Can’t Be Any Poorer Than Dead”?
(a) A well.
(b) A pit.
(c) A hole.
(d) A grave.
15. Where do Mary and her family live in “A View of the Woods”?
(a) On the farm with her grandfather.
(b) In the city.
(c) On the farm next to her grandfather.
(d) Across town from her grandfather.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of “The Artificial Nigger”, what does Nelson vow?
2. How does the girl in “The Comforts of Home” treat Thomas?
3. What do the teenagers on a date in “A Temple of the Holy Ghost” see in the “freak show” tent?
4. What is being built next to the grandfather’s property in “A View of the Woods”?
5. What room does the girl in “The Comforts of Home” stay in?
This section contains 497 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)