|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What major political movement is coming up in “The Barber”?
(a) Invocation of new supreme court justices.
(b) A presidential election.
(c) A gubernatorial election.
(d) A senate vote.
2. What does Mr. Shiflit get running?
(a) The tractor.
(b) The generator.
(c) The old car.
(d) The icebox.
3. What do the boys do in the woods behind the farm in “A Circle in the Fire”?
(a) Kills farm animals.
(b) Run away.
(c) Swim in the water tank and then start a fire.
(d) Dig a hole.
4. What does Hazel Weaver want from Enoch Emery?
(b) To stop spying on the sunbathing women.
(c) An ice cream soda.
(d) The address of the red-haired girl and the blind man.
5. What does Enoch Emery discover inside the museum?
(b) A woman he likes to watch.
(c) A glass case with a handwritten card inside of it and mummified man.
(d) Mysterious calligraphic writing.
6. What time does the babysitter pick up the boy in “The River”?
(a) Six o’clock in the morning.
(b) Six o’clock in the evening.
(c) Five o’clock in the morning.
(d) At noon.
7. Where is Hazel Wickers expecting to sleep on the train?
(a) An upper berth.
(b) A lower berth.
(c) In a first-class seat.
(d) In a coach seat.
8. What does Sally want her grandfather to attend?
(a) Her college graduation ceremony.
(b) Her wedding.
(c) Her baptism.
(d) His grandson’s graduation ceremony.
9. Where does “The Heart of the Park” take place?
(a) On a farm.
(b) The zoo.
(c) In front of a theater.
(d) A public park.
10. Who is Mrs. Cope?
(a) The grandmother of the farm owner.
(b) The neighbor.
(c) The owner of the farm.
(d) The hired-hand’s wife.
11. What is wrong with Lucynell’s daughter?
(a) She is mentally retarded and cannot speak.
(b) She is deaf.
(c) She cannot walk.
(d) She is blind.
12. Who helps Old Dudley up the stairs?
(a) The black man who is renting the apartment next to Old Dudley’s.
(b) The taxi driver.
(c) His daughter when she returns home from work.
(d) The apartment concierge.
13. What does the boy in “The River” say his name is (though it isn’t)?
14. Old Gabriel is _________?
15. Who asked Old Dudley if he wanted to go for a walk?
(a) His brother.
(b) His friend.
(c) His daughter.
(d) His wife.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Old Dudley live with?
2. How old is Lucynell’s daughter?
3. What does the upper sleeping berth remind Hazel Wickers of?
4. How many children does the babysitter have in “The River”?
5. Who is Madam Zoleeda?
This section contains 432 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)