|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the theme of "Snow"?
2. What theme does the author explore in "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs"?
3. What is personified in "The Assassin"?
4. Where is the author at the beginning of "The Death Baby"?
5. In what year was The Death Notebooks published?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the premise of Transformations, and explain the title.
2. What inspired The Awful Rowing Toward God?
3. How does Sexton deal with Christianity in "The Jesus Papers"?
4. Why might Sexton's poem "Sleeping Beauty (Briar Rose)" have special significance for her?
5. Where does Sexton search for God in The Awful Rowing Toward God? Does she find him?
6. How does Sexton deal with feminism in Transformations?
7. How does Sexton view her poetry in relation to her faith?
8. What is the source material for "The Jesus Papers?" How does Sexton use this source material?
9. When was The Death Notebooks published? How does this affect the poems in the collection?
10. What is the focus of Sexton's version of "Cinderella"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the purpose of Sexton's poetry? What message does she want to send with her poems?
Essay Topic 2
Explain Sexton's choice of fairy tales as source material in Transformations as they relate to common themes in her poetry.
Essay Topic 3
What role does religion/spirituality, particularly Christianity, play in Sexton's poetry?
This section contains 770 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)