|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who eats a magical snake in "The White Snake"?
2. Who is "Mother and Daughter" addressed to?
3. What is personified in "The Assassin"?
4. Who curses the maiden's father in "The Maiden Without Hands"?
5. What is the speaker tortured by in "The Room of My Life"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Sexton deal with feminism in Transformations?
2. Explain "The Death Baby." What does this poem say about Sexton's view of death?
3. What is the source material for "The Jesus Papers?" How does Sexton use this source material?
4. Explain Sexton's revision of "Rapunzel."
5. Why might Sexton's poem "Sleeping Beauty (Briar Rose)" have special significance for her?
6. Why do so many of the poems in The Death Notebooks deal with spirituality and Christianity?
7. When was The Awful Rowing Toward God published, and how does that affect the poems in it?
8. What does "Mary's Song" say about Sexton?
9. Explain Sexton's retelling of the Biblical story of Jonah and the whale in "Making a Living".
10. Where does Sexton search for God in The Awful Rowing Toward God? Does she find him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Sexton's experience of motherhood from her mother with her experience of motherhood as a mother herself, especially as it relates to her poetry.
Essay Topic 2
Explain Anne Sexton's mental health, especially as it relates to her poetry.
Essay Topic 3
What role does feminism and the traditional roles of women play in Sexton's poetry?
This section contains 807 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)