|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What ability is given to the person who eats a magical snake in "The White Snake"?
2. What is the focus of the author's version of "Red Riding Hood"?
3. What is personified in "The Assassin"?
4. Who is The Book of Folly dedicated to?
5. How many poems are in the collection "O Ye Tongues"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why might Sexton's poem "Sleeping Beauty (Briar Rose)" have special significance for her?
2. When was The Awful Rowing Toward God published, and how does that affect the poems in it?
3. Compare and contrast "The Death of Fathers" with "Angels of the Love Affair."
4. What is the source material for "The Jesus Papers?" How does Sexton use this source material?
5. What does "Mary's Song" say about Sexton?
6. What inspired The Awful Rowing Toward God?
7. Where does Sexton search for God in The Awful Rowing Toward God? Does she find him?
8. What is the focus of Sexton's version of "Cinderella"?
9. Why do so many of the poems in The Death Notebooks deal with spirituality and Christianity?
10. How does Sexton deal with feminism in Transformations?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain how Sexton uses her poetry as a form of therapy. Use specific examples to illustrate your explanation.
Essay Topic 2
What role does feminism and the traditional roles of women play in Sexton's poetry?
Essay Topic 3
Explain how Sexton uses source material, such as fairy tales and Biblical stories, in her poems. What does her treatment of these stories say about her?
This section contains 824 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)