|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is an outcast in "One Eye, Two Eyes, Three Eyes"?
2. What does "Doctors" criticize?
3. What is the first poem in Transformations?
4. How many poems are in the first part of The Book of Folly?
5. "The Hex" describes the connection between the speaker's inability to appreciate happiness and her relationship to who?
Short Essay Questions
1. When was The Death Notebooks published? How does this affect the poems in the collection?
2. Why do so many of the poems in The Death Notebooks deal with spirituality and Christianity?
3. Where does Sexton search for God in The Awful Rowing Toward God? Does she find him?
4. Why does Sexton end The Awful Rowing Toward God with the poem "The Rowing Endeth"?
5. Compare and contrast "The Death of Fathers" with "Angels of the Love Affair."
6. Other than showing Sexton's emotional and mental instability, how is The Death Notebooks different in the arc of her work? Give at least two examples.
7. How does Sexton inject herself into the final poem of "The Jesus Papers?" Why does she do this?
8. Why does The Awful Rowing Toward God begin with the poem "Rowing"?
9. How does Sexton deal with Christianity in "The Jesus Papers"?
10. Explain "The Death Baby." What does this poem say about Sexton's view of death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is conceit? How does Sexton use conceit in her poetry? Use specific examples to support your claims.
Essay Topic 2
What role does feminism and the traditional roles of women play in Sexton's poetry?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the style of Anne Sexton's poetry using specific examples to support your claims.
This section contains 913 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)