|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is pursuing the speaker in "Oh"?
2. What are the maiden's replacement hands made of in "The Maiden Without Hands"?
3. How many sections are in "The Furies"?
4. Who saves the fiddler in "The Wonderful Musician"?
5. Where does the speaker find the gods in the poem "Gods"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Sexton view her poetry in relation to her faith?
2. Explain "The Death Baby." What does this poem say about Sexton's view of death?
3. Where does Sexton search for God in The Awful Rowing Toward God? Does she find him?
4. What is the main theme of The Book of Folly? Is the theme of The Book of Folly treated the same as in her other work?
5. How does Sexton deal with feminism in Transformations?
6. What is the focus of Sexton's version of "Cinderella"?
7. Compare and contrast "The Death of Fathers" with "Angels of the Love Affair."
8. How is The Book of Folly set up?
9. Why might Sexton's poem "Sleeping Beauty (Briar Rose)" have special significance for her?
10. What is the source material for "The Jesus Papers?" How does Sexton use this source material?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role did family play in Anne Sexton's life and work?
Essay Topic 2
How do the poems in Posthumously Published Work fit into the larger scope of Sexton's poems? How do they stand out?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Sexton's experience of motherhood from her mother with her experience of motherhood as a mother herself, especially as it relates to her poetry.
This section contains 864 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)