|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is "The Double Image" set?
2. What is the purpose of "For My Lover, Returning to His Wife"?
3. What is the second poem in Part 1 of All My Pretty Ones?
4. What is the lover compared to in "Mr. Mine"?
5. Who is the speaker with in "The Fortress"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the quote in the preface of All My Pretty Ones suggest about the purpose of art? How does this apply to Sexton's poetry?
2. What is the significance of the final poem of the book?
3. How does Sexton use the book Love Poems? Give at least two examples.
4. What does the preface of Live or Die reveal about the poems in it?
5. Explain how Sexton expresses love in All the Pretty Ones.
6. One theme in All the Pretty Ones is the idea that poetry is catharsis. Why might poetry be catharsis for Sexton?
7. What are the two major themes dealt with in Live or Die, and how are they dealt with?
8. How does Sexton's poetry put the reader in the middle of her life?
9. Explain the poem "Eighteen Days Without You."
10. How does the collection Love Poems fit in with Sexton's other work?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the style of Anne Sexton's poetry using specific examples to support your claims.
Essay Topic 2
What is conceit? How does Sexton use conceit in her poetry? Use specific examples to support your claims.
Essay Topic 3
Explain Sexton's obsession with death, particularly as it relates to her poetry.
This section contains 856 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)