|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many sections are in "The Operation"?
2. In what year did the author receive an award for Live or Die?
3. What is the subject of "Elizabeth Gone"?
4. Where does the title for the first poem in Live or Die come from?
5. What is explored in "The Double Image"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how Sexton expresses love in All the Pretty Ones.
2. How was Live or Die received after its publication?
3. How does Sexton use the book Love Poems? Give at least two examples.
4. Explain the poem "Eighteen Days Without You."
5. Compare and contrast "The Double Image" and "The Division of Parts."
6. How does the collection Love Poems fit in with Sexton's other work?
7. What is the crossroads Sexton finds herself at in "The Fortress"?
8. How does Sexton use her poetry as a form of therapy in Live or Die?
9. Why do you think Part 2 of To Bedlam and Part Way Back only contains three poems?
10. What is the significance of the title Live or Die?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain how Live or Die is different from Sexton's other collections.
Essay Topic 2
What role does feminism and the traditional roles of women play in Sexton's poetry?
Essay Topic 3
Explain Anne Sexton's mental health, especially as it relates to her poetry.
This section contains 831 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)