|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. "Music Swims Back To Me" presents an irony of the freedom where?
2. What must be found in "Kind Sir: These Woods"?
3. What is the lover compared to in "Mr. Mine"?
4. What conclusion does the speaker come to in "For My Lover, Returning to His Wife"?
5. How many parts is "The Double Image" divided into?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the poem "Eighteen Days Without You."
2. What is the meaning of the title "The Fortress"?
3. Explain Sexton's retelling of the Icarus myth in "To a Friend Whose Work Has Come To Triumph."
4. How do the poems in Live or Die reflect Sexton's mental and emotional health?
5. Explain the use of animals in the poem "Loving the Killer."
6. How does the collection Love Poems fit in with Sexton's other work?
7. What is the significance of ending Part 1 of To Bedlam and Part Way Back with the poem "A Story For Rose On the Midnight Flight To Boston"?
8. Explain the poem "Suicide Note."
9. What are the two major themes dealt with in Live or Die, and how are they dealt with?
10. Compare and contrast "The Double Image" and "The Division of Parts."
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does religion/spirituality, particularly Christianity, play in Sexton's poetry?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Sexton's experience of motherhood from her mother with her experience of motherhood as a mother herself, especially as it relates to her poetry.
Essay Topic 3
Explain Sexton's experience with love, particularly as it relates to her poetry.
This section contains 891 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)