|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What game does the speaker play with God in "The Rowing Endeth"?
(b) Go Fish.
2. Who is The Book of Folly dedicated to?
3. Where does the speaker find the gods in the poem "Gods"?
(a) In her bathroom.
(b) In the raindrops of a storm.
(c) In a nearby lake.
(d) Hanging in an old oak tree.
4. What theme is explored in "The Frog Prince"?
5. What does "Doctors" criticize?
(a) Modern medicine.
(c) Bedside manner.
(d) Psychiatric care.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Doctor Faustus sell his soul to the devil for in "Faustus and I"?
2. What ability is given to the person who eats a magical snake in "The White Snake"?
3. How is Jesus depicted in "The Jesus Papers"?
4. What is the speaker tortured by in "The Room of My Life"?
5. How many poems are in the first part of The Book of Folly?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why might Sexton's poem "Sleeping Beauty (Briar Rose)" have special significance for her?
2. What does "Mary's Song" say about Sexton?
3. Other than showing Sexton's emotional and mental instability, how is The Death Notebooks different in the arc of her work? Give at least two examples.
4. How does Sexton deal with feminism in Transformations?
5. What inspired The Awful Rowing Toward God?
6. When was The Awful Rowing Toward God published, and how does that affect the poems in it?
7. Compare and contrast "The Death of Fathers" with "Angels of the Love Affair."
8. Why do so many of the poems in The Death Notebooks deal with spirituality and Christianity?
9. Explain "The Death Baby." What does this poem say about Sexton's view of death?
10. What is the focus of Sexton's version of "Cinderella"?
This section contains 990 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)