|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the title of the poem "Rats Live On No Evil Star" based on?
(a) A fragment of a dream.
(b) A palindrome.
(c) A nursery rhyme.
(d) A nonsensical phrase her daughter said.
2. "The Silence" explains the motivation to write as an attempt to remain occupied so that what remains at bay?
(a) Reminders of responsibilities.
(b) Reminders of a lost love.
(c) Reminders of death.
(d) Reminders of dreams forgotten.
3. Where does the speaker find the gods in the poem "Gods"?
(a) In a nearby lake.
(b) Hanging in an old oak tree.
(c) In her bathroom.
(d) In the raindrops of a storm.
4. What ability is given to the person who eats a magical snake in "The White Snake"?
(a) The ability to transform into a white snake.
(b) The ability to transform others into a white snake.
(c) The ability to communicate with animals.
(d) The ability to speak to snakes.
5. What myth is retold in "The Fire Thief"?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who solves the mystery of "Twelve Dancing Princesses?"?
2. "The Hex" describes the connection between the speaker's inability to appreciate happiness and her relationship to who?
3. What poem personifies death as a hurried traveler?
4. Who is The Book of Folly dedicated to?
5. Who curses the maiden's father in "The Maiden Without Hands"?
Short Essay Questions
1. When was The Death Notebooks published? How does this affect the poems in the collection?
2. What is the source material for "The Jesus Papers?" How does Sexton use this source material?
3. What is the focus of Sexton's version of "Cinderella"?
4. Explain Sexton's retelling of the Biblical story of Jonah and the whale in "Making a Living".
5. Other than showing Sexton's emotional and mental instability, how is The Death Notebooks different in the arc of her work? Give at least two examples.
6. When was The Awful Rowing Toward God published, and how does that affect the poems in it?
7. How does Sexton deal with feminism in Transformations?
8. How does Sexton view her poetry in relation to her faith?
9. What inspired The Awful Rowing Toward God?
10. What is the main theme of The Book of Folly? Is the theme of The Book of Folly treated the same as in her other work?
This section contains 931 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)