|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of conflict is present in "The Civil War"?
(a) Person vs. society.
(b) Person vs. nature.
(c) Person vs. person.
(d) Person vs. self.
2. "Hansel and Gretel" is about whose wild obsession?
(a) A mother's.
(c) A witch's.
3. What is the speaker tortured by in "The Room of My Life"?
(a) The objects around her.
(b) Her own creativity.
(c) The people around her.
(d) Her own thoughts.
4. Where does the speaker find the gods in the poem "Gods"?
(a) In a nearby lake.
(b) Hanging in an old oak tree.
(c) In her bathroom.
(d) In the raindrops of a storm.
5. Whose Biblical story is retold in "Making a Living"?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is portrayed as God in "The God-Monger"?
2. Who interferes with the speaker's prayers in "Praying on a 707"?
3. What does Doctor Faustus sell his soul to the devil for in "Faustus and I"?
4. What does the building represent in "Riding the Elevator Into the Sky"?
5. What theme is explored in "The Frog Prince"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain "The Death Baby." What does this poem say about Sexton's view of death?
2. What is the main theme of The Book of Folly? Is the theme of The Book of Folly treated the same as in her other work?
3. Explain the premise of Transformations, and explain the title.
4. Why do so many of the poems in The Death Notebooks deal with spirituality and Christianity?
5. What is the source material for "The Jesus Papers?" How does Sexton use this source material?
6. Where does Sexton search for God in The Awful Rowing Toward God? Does she find him?
7. What does "Mary's Song" say about Sexton?
8. How does Sexton inject herself into the final poem of "The Jesus Papers?" Why does she do this?
9. How does Sexton view her poetry in relation to her faith?
10. Other than showing Sexton's emotional and mental instability, how is The Death Notebooks different in the arc of her work? Give at least two examples.
This section contains 961 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)