|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the purpose of "For My Lover, Returning to His Wife"?
(a) To give an ultamatum.
(b) To remind the lover where his loyalties lie.
(c) To entice the lover to stay longer.
(d) To say goodbye.
2. What is the main focus of Part 1 of All My Pretty Ones?
(a) The death of the author's creativity.
(b) The death of the author's grandparents.
(c) The death of the author's cat.
(d) The death of the author's parents.
3. Who is the subject of "Your Face on the Dog's Neck"?
(a) The speaker's daughter.
(b) The speaker's cat.
(c) The speaker herself.
(d) The speaker's lover.
4. What does the speaker cast off in the poem "Self in 1958"?
(a) Traditional female roles.
(b) Her guilt.
(c) Her family.
(d) Poet/artist stereotypes.
5. What type of poem is "For the Year of the Insane"?
(a) A eulogy.
(b) A blurb.
(c) An epitaph.
(d) A prayer.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the subject of the author's first book of poetry?
2. "Kind Sir: These Woods" is a meditation on becoming what?
3. What is the purpose of poetry in "The Black Art"?
4. What is the first poem in Live or Die?
5. "With Mercy For the Greedy" is a rebuttal to a friend's suggestion that the speaker should seek what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Sexton treat her illness in her poetry?
2. What does the preface of Live or Die reveal about the poems in it?
3. How does the collection Love Poems fit in with Sexton's other work?
4. What is the meaning of the title "The Fortress"?
5. What makes To Bedlam and Part Way Back autobiographical?
6. Give at least one example of Sexton's use of humor in Love Poems.
7. How does Sexton's poetry put the reader in the middle of her life?
8. What does the quote in the preface of All My Pretty Ones suggest about the purpose of art? How does this apply to Sexton's poetry?
9. How does Sexton use the book Love Poems? Give at least two examples.
10. What is the significance of the title Live or Die?
This section contains 811 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)