|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the tone of "Moon Song, Woman Song"?
2. "Loving the Killer" takes place where?
(a) In the woods.
(b) On a safari.
(c) In a kitchen.
(d) On the street.
3. What is the subject of "Those Times"?
(a) Mental illness.
(c) Sexual abuse.
4. Who is the speaker traveling to see in the poem "Flight"?
(a) Her husband.
(b) Her best friend.
(c) Her aunt.
(d) Her mother.
5. In what point of view is "It Is a Spring Afternoon" written?
(c) It is unclear.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first poem in Live or Die?
2. Where does the woman in "Moon Song, Woman Song" live?
3. How many parts is "The Double Image" divided into?
4. How is marriage portrayed in "Man and Wife"?
5. What is the purpose of poetry in "The Black Art"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how Sexton uses religion in All the Pretty Ones.
2. What makes To Bedlam and Part Way Back autobiographical?
3. What is the significance of ending Part 1 of To Bedlam and Part Way Back with the poem "A Story For Rose On the Midnight Flight To Boston"?
4. What are the two major themes dealt with in Live or Die, and how are they dealt with?
5. Why do you think Part 2 of To Bedlam and Part Way Back only contains three poems?
6. What is the significance of the final poem of the book?
7. What is the significance of "For John, Who Begs Me Not To Enquire Further"?
8. What does the quote in the preface of All My Pretty Ones suggest about the purpose of art? How does this apply to Sexton's poetry?
9. Explain the use of animals in the poem "Loving the Killer."
10. In All My Pretty Ones, Sexton uses more of a third person narrative approach with some of the poems. Why would this be difficult in confessional poetry?
This section contains 885 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)