|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the weather in "Song for a Lady"?
2. In what year did the author receive an award for Live or Die?
3. Who is the subject of "Your Face on the Dog's Neck"?
(a) The speaker's daughter.
(b) The speaker's cat.
(c) The speaker's lover.
(d) The speaker herself.
4. Who does the speaker identify with in "Consorting With Angels"?
(a) Sylvia Plath.
(b) The Virgin Mary.
(c) Joan of Arc.
(d) Mary Magdalen.
5. What is the title of the author's first book of poetry?
(a) Kind Sir: These Woods.
(b) The Moss of His Skin.
(c) Elizabeth Gone.
(d) To Bedlam and Part Way Back.
Short Answer Questions
1. "The Interrogation of the Man of Many Hearts" is a poetic dialogue between the speaker and who?
2. What aspect of childhood does "The Bells" reflect on?
3. What is the purpose of "For My Lover, Returning to His Wife"?
4. What is the second poem in Part 5 of All My Pretty Ones?
5. What point of view is "The House" written in?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of the final poem of the book?
2. How was Live or Die received after its publication?
3. What is the significance of "For John, Who Begs Me Not To Enquire Further"?
4. Explain Sexton's retelling of the Icarus myth in "To a Friend Whose Work Has Come To Triumph."
5. What is the meaning of the title "The Fortress"?
6. Explain how Sexton expresses love in All the Pretty Ones.
7. In All My Pretty Ones, Sexton uses more of a third person narrative approach with some of the poems. Why would this be difficult in confessional poetry?
8. How does the collection Love Poems fit in with Sexton's other work?
9. How does Sexton use her poetry as a form of therapy in Live or Die?
10. Compare and contrast "The Double Image" and "The Division of Parts."
This section contains 920 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)