|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the speaker doing in "The Fortress"?
(a) Making dinner.
(b) Bathing her child.
(c) Taking a nap.
2. What is the last poem in Live or Die?
(a) "The Addict."
(c) "Self in 1958."
3. How many poems are in the first part of All My Pretty Ones?
4. What is the sister poem to "The Double Image"?
(a) "The Division of Parts."
(b) "Torn Down From Glory Daily."
(c) "A Story For Rose On the Midnight Flight To Boston."
(d) "The Moss of His Skin."
5. Who does the speaker encounter on a ferry in "Letter Written On a Ferry While Crossing Long Island Sound"?
(a) A priest.
(b) A clown.
(c) A childhood friend.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does "Elizabeth Gone" explore as the possibility of an escape?
2. Who is Doctor Martin?
3. What is the tone of "Moon Song, Woman Song"?
4. Who does the speaker's daughter cry out for when she is in an accident in "Pain for a Daughter"?
5. Who does the speaker identify with in "Consorting With Angels"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Sexton use her poetry as a form of therapy in Live or Die?
2. How does Sexton use the book Love Poems? Give at least two examples.
3. How does the collection Love Poems fit in with Sexton's other work?
4. What does the preface of Live or Die reveal about the poems in it?
5. Explain how Sexton expresses love in All the Pretty Ones.
6. What is the significance of the final poem of the book?
7. What are the two major themes dealt with in Live or Die, and how are they dealt with?
8. What makes To Bedlam and Part Way Back autobiographical?
9. What is the focus of Part 2 of To Bedlam and Part Way Back?
10. Explain the poem "Eighteen Days Without You."
This section contains 856 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)