|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the theme of "Snow"?
2. "The Hex" describes the connection between the speaker's inability to appreciate happiness and her relationship to who?
(a) Her husband.
(b) Her sister.
(c) Her mother.
(d) Her grandmother.
3. In "The Earth Falls Down," what is the speaker trying to place blame for?
(a) The world's problems.
(b) Her sister's death.
(c) Her mother's death.
(d) Her mental illness.
4. Where is the blame assigned in "The Earth Falls Down"?
(a) The speaker herself.
(b) The speaker's sister.
(c) Blame is not assigned.
(d) The speaker's mother.
5. What theme is explored in "The Frog Prince"?
6. Whose Biblical story is retold in "Making a Living"?
7. What is the focus of the author's version of "Red Riding Hood"?
(a) The grandmother.
(b) The improbability of the outcome.
(c) The relationship between Red Riding Hood and the woodsman.
(d) The wolf.
8. What is represented as a pair of applauding hands in "Two Hands"?
9. What is the first poem in Transformations?
(a) "Once Upon a Time."
(b) "The White Snake."
(c) "Ever After."
(d) "The Gold Key."
10. How many sections is "The Death Baby" divided into?
11. Who interferes with the speaker's prayers in "Praying on a 707"?
(a) A flight attendant.
(b) The pilot.
(c) The passenger seated next to her.
(d) Her mother.
12. What building is in "Riding the Elevator Into the Sky"?
(a) An office building.
(b) The Eiffel Tower.
(c) A bank.
(d) A hotel.
13. What poem has the author wondering if she is becoming an antisocial shut-in like the old woman who used to live in her neighborhood as a girl?
(a) "The Children."
(b) "The Room of My Life."
(c) "The Witch's Life."
(d) "The Shut-in."
14. What are the maiden's replacement hands made of in "The Maiden Without Hands"?
15. What is the last story in Transformations?
(a) "Sleeping Beauty (Briar Rose)."
(b) "Hansel and Gretel."
(c) "The Frog Prince."
(d) "Happily Ever After."
Short Answer Questions
1. How many poems are in the collection "O Ye Tongues"?
2. What is particularly depicted in "God's Backside"?
3. What is the title of the first part of The Book of Folly?
4. "Rats Live On No Evil Star" is a revision of what Biblical story?
5. Who saves the fiddler in "The Wonderful Musician"?
This section contains 405 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)