|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the speaker tortured by in "The Room of My Life"?
(a) The people around her.
(b) Her own thoughts.
(c) The objects around her.
(d) Her own creativity.
2. What is the first poem in the first part of The Book of Folly?
(a) "The Ambition Bird."
(b) "The Assassin."
(c) "The First Poem."
(d) "The Jesus Papers."
3. Who solves the mystery of "Twelve Dancing Princesses?"?
(a) The king.
(b) A soldier.
(c) A prince.
(d) A servant.
4. Who interferes with the speaker's prayers in "Praying on a 707"?
(a) The passenger seated next to her.
(b) The pilot.
(c) A flight attendant.
(d) Her mother.
5. What is the purpose of the first poem in Transformations?
(a) To act as an introduction and explanation.
(b) To share a fairy tale about the author's son.
(c) To create the author as the wicked witch.
(d) To share a fairy tale about the author's daughter.
6. What kind of poems are the collection "O Ye Tongues"?
7. Where do the poems come from in Transformations?
(a) The stories of Hans Christian Anderson.
(b) Aesop's Fables.
(c) Greek mythology.
(d) Grimm's Fairy Tales.
8. What poem has the author wondering if she is becoming an antisocial shut-in like the old woman who used to live in her neighborhood as a girl?
(a) "The Shut-in."
(b) "The Witch's Life."
(c) "The Room of My Life."
(d) "The Children."
9. Who is portrayed as God in "The God-Monger"?
(a) John Holmes.
(b) The speaker herself.
(c) The speaker's father.
(d) The speaker's husband.
10. Whose death does the author recount in "The Death Baby"?
(a) Her grandmother's.
(b) Her own.
(c) Her mother's.
(d) Her father's.
11. "Rats Live On No Evil Star" is a revision of what Biblical story?
(a) Daniel in the lions' den.
(b) The story of Job.
(c) Adam and Eve.
(d) Joseph and his coat of colors.
12. What myth is retold in "The Fire Thief"?
13. Who visits the speaker in "Sweeney"?
(a) The speaker's sister.
(b) The speaker's cousin.
(c) A press agent.
(d) A newspaper reporter.
14. Who is The Book of Folly dedicated to?
15. How many messiahs is Mary pregnant with in "Mary's Song"?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Doctor Faustus sell his soul to the devil for in "Faustus and I"?
2. What is the title of the first part of The Book of Folly?
3. Whose Biblical story is retold in "Making a Living"?
4. What is the title of the poem "Rats Live On No Evil Star" based on?
5. What theme is explored in "The Frog Prince"?
This section contains 436 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)