|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What poem is the companion poem to "The Rowing Endeth"?
(a) The first poem in Live or Die.
(b) The book's last poem.
(c) The book's second poem.
(d) The book's first poem.
2. Whose death does the author recount in "The Death Baby"?
(a) Her father's.
(b) Her grandmother's.
(c) Her mother's.
(d) Her own.
3. What game does the speaker play with God in "The Rowing Endeth"?
(a) Go Fish.
4. In "For Mr. Death Who Stands With His Door Open", the speaker personifies ______ and ______.
(a) Faith and doubt.
(b) Time and tide.
(c) Time and death.
(d) Death and life.
5. Who is an outcast in "One Eye, Two Eyes, Three Eyes"?
(a) The daughter with two eyes.
(b) The daughter with one eye.
(c) The son.
(d) The daughter with three eyes.
6. Who is killed the same day that the speaker receives a visitor in "Sweeney"?
(a) The author's brother.
(b) The author's neighbor.
(c) The author's cousin.
(d) The author's sister.
7. "Hansel and Gretel" is about whose wild obsession?
(b) A mother's.
(c) A witch's.
8. What is the first poem in Transformations?
(a) "The White Snake."
(b) "The Gold Key."
(c) "Once Upon a Time."
(d) "Ever After."
9. Who is pursuing the speaker in "Oh"?
(b) Mental illness.
(c) A shadow.
10. Where is the speaker headed in "Rowing"?
(a) An island called God.
11. What poem personifies death as a hurried traveler?
(a) "The Hex."
(b) "The Other."
(c) "The Assassin."
(d) "Going Gone."
12. What theme does the author explore in "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs"?
13. What kind of poems are the collection "O Ye Tongues"?
14. What does Doctor Faustus sell his soul to the devil for in "Faustus and I"?
(a) Money and fame.
(b) Eternal youth.
(c) Knowledge and power.
(d) Health and family.
15. What is particularly depicted in "God's Backside"?
(a) A fire.
(b) A flood.
(c) Hot weather.
(d) Cold weather.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many poems are in the collection "O Ye Tongues"?
2. What Biblical story is retold in "Jesus Walking"?
3. What is the focus of the author's version of "Red Riding Hood"?
4. Whose Biblical story is retold in "Making a Living"?
5. What does "Doctors" criticize?
This section contains 387 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)