|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the author describe herself at the beginning of "The Death Baby"?
(a) As a new mother.
(b) As an artist.
(c) As Death.
(d) As a baby.
2. In what year was The Death Notebooks published?
3. Whose death does the author recount in "The Death Baby"?
(a) Her mother's.
(b) Her own.
(c) Her grandmother's.
(d) Her father's.
4. What does Doctor Faustus sell his soul to the devil for in "Faustus and I"?
(a) Health and family.
(b) Eternal youth.
(c) Money and fame.
(d) Knowledge and power.
5. In "The Earth Falls Down," what is the speaker trying to place blame for?
(a) Her mother's death.
(b) Her sister's death.
(c) Her mental illness.
(d) The world's problems.
6. Who interferes with the speaker's prayers in "Praying on a 707"?
(a) A flight attendant.
(b) Her mother.
(c) The passenger seated next to her.
(d) The pilot.
7. Where is the speaker headed in "Rowing"?
(d) An island called God.
8. "The Hex" describes the connection between the speaker's inability to appreciate happiness and her relationship to who?
(a) Her sister.
(b) Her mother.
(c) Her grandmother.
(d) Her husband.
9. What is personified in "The Assassin"?
10. What game does the speaker play with God in "The Rowing Endeth"?
(a) Go Fish.
11. How many poems are in the collection "O Ye Tongues"?
12. Who is the miller's wife having an affair with in "The Little Peasant"?
(a) The parson.
(b) A sailor.
(c) The innkeeper.
(d) The blacksmith.
13. How many parts is The Book of Folly divided into?
14. When was The Awful Rowing Toward God published?
(a) The year of the author's death.
(b) The year after the author's death.
(c) The year before the author's death.
(d) The year of the author's divorce.
15. What does the building represent in "Riding the Elevator Into the Sky"?
(a) Human consciousness.
(d) Human struggles.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do the poems come from in Transformations?
2. What is the title of the first part of The Book of Folly?
3. What poem is the companion poem to "The Rowing Endeth"?
4. "The Silence" explains the motivation to write as an attempt to remain occupied so that what remains at bay?
5. What type of conflict is present in "The Civil War"?
This section contains 420 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)