|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. "With Mercy For the Greedy" is a rebuttal to a friend's suggestion that the speaker should seek what?
(a) Holy confession.
(b) Solace from the Blessed Mother.
(c) Eucharistic Adoration.
(d) The counsel of a priest.
2. "Music Swims Back To Me" is a reflection on the speaker's immersion in what?
(a) Medical interventions.
(d) Mental collapse.
3. What part of the speaker's body is personified in "The Touch"?
(a) Her neck.
(b) Her hand.
(c) Her foot.
(d) Her back.
4. Who does the speaker encounter on a ferry in "Letter Written On a Ferry While Crossing Long Island Sound"?
(a) A priest.
(b) A childhood friend.
(d) A clown.
5. What is the speaker addicted to in "The Addict"?
(c) Prescription pills.
6. What is the subject of "Those Times"?
(c) Sexual abuse.
(d) Mental illness.
7. What award was given to the author for Live or Die?
(a) The Pulitzer Prize.
(b) The Edgar Allen Poe Prize.
(c) The Pushcart Prize.
(d) The Nobel Prize.
8. In what time frame does "Letter Written During a January Northeaster" take place?
(a) A week.
(b) Six months.
(c) A month.
(d) A day.
9. Who bathes in the river in "It Is a Spring Afternoon"?
(a) Blind men.
(b) The speaker's husband.
(c) The speaker's lover.
(d) The speaker.
10. What is the weather in "Song for a Lady"?
11. How many sections are in "The Operation"?
12. When does "You All Know the Story of the Other Woman" take place?
(a) At a chance meeting between a mistress and her lover's wife.
(b) At the beginning of an affair.
(c) At the end of an affair.
(d) In the middle of an affair.
13. What is the tone of "Moon Song, Woman Song"?
14. "For John, Who Begs Me Not To Enquire Further" is a defense against whom?
(a) The author's father.
(b) The author's doctor.
(c) The author's teacher.
(d) The author's mother.
15. What is explored in "The Double Image"?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is "The Double Image" set?
2. In what point of view is "It Is a Spring Afternoon" written?
3. What does the speaker cast off in the poem "Self in 1958"?
4. Who does the speaker's daughter cry out for when she is in an accident in "Pain for a Daughter"?
5. What is the subject of "Again and Again and Again"?
This section contains 417 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)