|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the time frame in which the poems of Live or Die were written?
2. Why is the speaker hospitalized in "The Break"?
(a) Radiation treatment.
(b) Giving birth.
(c) Mental illness.
(d) A broken bone.
3. How many poems are in Part 2 of the author's first book of poetry?
4. How are the poems arranged in Live or Die?
(c) In an order selected by the author's daughter.
(d) The order in which they were written.
5. What type of poem is "For the Year of the Insane"?
(a) A prayer.
(b) A blurb.
(c) A eulogy.
(d) An epitaph.
6. Who does the speaker encounter on a ferry in "Letter Written On a Ferry While Crossing Long Island Sound"?
(a) A priest.
(c) A clown.
(d) A childhood friend.
7. What is the subject of "Your Face on the Dog's Neck" doing?
(a) Playing with the dog.
(b) Fighting with the dog.
(c) Napping with the dog.
(d) Sitting with the dog.
8. What is the purpose of "For My Lover, Returning to His Wife"?
(a) To say goodbye.
(b) To entice the lover to stay longer.
(c) To give an ultamatum.
(d) To remind the lover where his loyalties lie.
9. How is God portrayed in "For God While Sleeping"?
(a) As a newborn infant.
(b) As a woman.
(c) As a senile old man.
(d) As a loved one who has recently died.
10. What is the sister poem to "The Double Image"?
(a) "Torn Down From Glory Daily."
(b) "A Story For Rose On the Midnight Flight To Boston."
(c) "The Division of Parts."
(d) "The Moss of His Skin."
11. How is marriage portrayed in "Man and Wife"?
(a) A blessed escape.
(b) A career like any other.
(c) Playing house eternally.
(d) A dismal trap.
12. Who is the subject of "Somewhere in Africa"?
(a) John Holmes.
(b) Sylvia Plath.
(c) Ted Hughes.
(d) T. S. Eliot.
13. What is the subject of "The Operation"?
14. What is explored in "The Double Image"?
15. What is the main focus of Part 1 of All My Pretty Ones?
(a) The death of the author's grandparents.
(b) The death of the author's creativity.
(c) The death of the author's cat.
(d) The death of the author's parents.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the subject of "Those Times"?
2. Who does the author decide to endure the pains of life for in the last poem in Live or Die?
3. What is the tone of "Moon Song, Woman Song"?
4. Who is the author of The Complete Poems?
5. "The Interrogation of the Man of Many Hearts" is a poetic dialogue between the speaker and who?
This section contains 445 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)