|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many parts is All My Pretty Ones divided into?
2. What is the title of the author's first book of poetry?
(a) To Bedlam and Part Way Back.
(b) The Moss of His Skin.
(c) Elizabeth Gone.
(d) Kind Sir: These Woods.
3. What is the first poem in Live or Die?
(a) "And One for My Dame."
(b) "The Sun."
(c) "Live or Die."
(d) "Love Song."
4. What is the purpose of "For My Lover, Returning to His Wife"?
(a) To give an ultamatum.
(b) To entice the lover to stay longer.
(c) To remind the lover where his loyalties lie.
(d) To say goodbye.
5. Why is the speaker hospitalized in "The Break"?
(a) A broken bone.
(b) Radiation treatment.
(c) Giving birth.
(d) Mental illness.
6. In what year did the author receive an award for Live or Die?
7. Who is the subject of "Your Face on the Dog's Neck"?
(a) The speaker's daughter.
(b) The speaker's lover.
(c) The speaker's cat.
(d) The speaker herself.
8. In what month does "Eighteen Days Without You" take place?
9. What is the second poem in Part 5 of All My Pretty Ones?
(b) "Woman with Girdle."
(d) "The Hangman."
10. What award was given to the author for Live or Die?
(a) The Edgar Allen Poe Prize.
(b) The Pulitzer Prize.
(c) The Nobel Prize.
(d) The Pushcart Prize.
11. What is the weather in "Song for a Lady"?
12. What is the subject of "Elizabeth Gone"?
13. What kind of accident is the subject of "Pain for a Daughter"?
(c) Horseback riding.
14. "Torn Down From Glory Daily" draws a parallel between animal hunger and ______.
(a) Uncommon friendships.
(b) Survival of the fittest.
(c) Human sexuality.
(d) Human instinct.
15. Where is the speaker of "It Is a Spring Afternoon" waiting?
(a) On a bridge.
(b) Under a bridge.
(c) In a tree.
(d) In bed.
Short Answer Questions
1. The poem "You, Doctor Martin" puts the reader where?
2. In what time frame does "Letter Written During a January Northeaster" take place?
3. What myth does the author rethink in "To a Friend Whose Work Has Come To Triumph"?
4. What is the time frame in which the poems of Live or Die were written?
5. When does "You All Know the Story of the Other Woman" take place?
This section contains 421 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)