|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does "Elizabeth Gone" explore as the possibility of an escape?
2. How is God portrayed in "For God While Sleeping"?
(a) As a loved one who has recently died.
(b) As a newborn infant.
(c) As a senile old man.
(d) As a woman.
3. In what time frame does "Letter Written During a January Northeaster" take place?
(a) Six months.
(b) A month.
(c) A day.
(d) A week.
4. Who does the speaker's daughter cry out for when she is in an accident in "Pain for a Daughter"?
(a) Her mother (the speaker).
(b) She does not cry out.
(c) Her father.
5. Why is the speaker hospitalized in "The Break"?
(a) A broken bone.
(b) Mental illness.
(c) Giving birth.
(d) Radiation treatment.
6. How is marriage portrayed in "Man and Wife"?
(a) A career like any other.
(b) Playing house eternally.
(c) A dismal trap.
(d) A blessed escape.
7. What award was given to the author for Live or Die?
(a) The Edgar Allen Poe Prize.
(b) The Pulitzer Prize.
(c) The Pushcart Prize.
(d) The Nobel Prize.
8. What aspect of childhood does "The Bells" reflect on?
(b) The relationship with grandparents.
9. "The Interrogation of the Man of Many Hearts" is a poetic dialogue between the speaker and who?
(a) Her husband.
(b) Her lover.
(c) Her friend.
(d) Her husband's lover.
10. In what point of view is "It Is a Spring Afternoon" written?
(a) It is unclear.
11. How many poems are in Part 3 of All My Pretty Ones?
12. What is the purpose of poetry in "The Black Art"?
(b) Spiritual mentor.
13. What is the subject of "Barefoot"?
(a) Sexual tease.
(d) A forbidden rendevous.
14. What changes does "The Double Image" follow?
15. What is the speaker doing in "The Fortress"?
(b) Bathing her child.
(c) Taking a nap.
(d) Making dinner.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the second poem in Part 1 of All My Pretty Ones?
2. Who bathes in the river in "It Is a Spring Afternoon"?
3. Where does the title for the first poem in Live or Die come from?
4. How many poems are in the first part of All My Pretty Ones?
5. "For John, Who Begs Me Not To Enquire Further" is a defense against whom?
This section contains 413 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)