|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In "Pleasure Seas," what do those on the shore, in the plane, or on the yacht have in common?
(a) They can't really appreciate the ocean.
(b) They have a better appreciation of the ocean than those in the swimming pool.
(c) They are safe from the dangers of the ocean.
(d) They understand that the ocean is complex.
2. To what does the poet compare love in the third part of Three Valentines?
(a) A feathered bird.
(b) A mother bird.
(c) A sea bird.
(d) A baby bird.
3. Where might the visitor go next in "The House Guest"?
(a) Military school.
(b) A convent.
(d) A mental hospital.
4. How does nature celebrate the birth of a baby in "From 'The Life and Death of a Severino'"?
(a) The tide does not come in.
(b) The rain starts.
(c) The tide does not go out.
(d) The rain stops.
5. In "Pink Dog," what does the poet suggest about including the dog at Carnival?
(a) That it looks perfect painted pink.
(b) That its toenails be painted pink.
(c) That it shouldn't be included.
(d) That it should wear a costume.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Exchanging Hats," what does one person wear on his head?
2. What does "The Wit" describe?
3. How does the man treat the woman in "Brazilian Tragedy"?
4. To what does the poet liken the ocean in "Pleasure Seas"?
5. In "Lines Written in the Fannie Farmer Cookbook," what is the poet's attitude toward Fannie Farmer?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the effect on the reader of the surprise ending in Vinicius de Moraes' "Sonnet of Intimacy"?
2. In what style is Bandeira's poem "Brazilian Tragedy" composed?
3. Why does the poet begins the section called Geography III with a geography lesson that throws a series of unanswered questions at the reader?
4. How is the character in "The Giant Snail" an exaggerated human figure?
5. What does "12 O'Clock News" reveal about the way Bishop views familiar objects?
6. Which stanza in section XIV of "From 'The Death and Life of a Severino'" seems different from the others?
7. What does the poet mean by the line "We are too innocent and wise" in "The Wave"?
8. What are two meanings of the title "The Waiting Room"?
9. In what state does the poet imply she is currently in her poem "Sonnet," written in 1928?
10. Why did Bishop write "The Mountain" in the first person?
This section contains 714 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)