|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did the poem "Sunday at Key West" originally appear?
(a) In a newspaper.
(b) In an anthology.
(c) In a letter to Bishop's landlady.
(d) In a letter to Marianne Moore.
2. In what format are the poems in Rainy Season; Sub Tropics written?
(c) Free verse.
(d) Prose poetry.
3. What does Bishop's subject matter in the poems in Uncollected Work and Geography III tell us about her?
(a) She is interested in the exotic.
(b) She focuses on the negative.
(c) She sees everyday things in typical ways.
(d) She seeks to see beyond the norm.
4. Why does the snail in "Giant Snail" pity himself?
(a) He is large and slow.
(b) He is slow and ugly.
(c) He is large and ugly.
(d) He is vulnerable to being eaten.
5. What literary device does the poet employ in "The Mountain"?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the second part of Three Valentines depict?
2. How old is the poet in "In the Waiting Room"?
3. What is the symbolic meaning of "Pleasure Seas"?
4. What is the visitor's mood in "House Guest"?
5. What does "For C.W.B." depict?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the effect on the reader of the surprise ending in Vinicius de Moraes' "Sonnet of Intimacy"?
2. How does Octavio Paz view the beginning of a new year in "January First"?
3. How is the character in "The Giant Snail" an exaggerated human figure?
4. Do you think "Lullaby for the Cat" is simply an innocent rhyme, or do you think it has a deeper meaning?
5. In Carlos Drummond de Andrade's "Infancy," why does the author refer to Robinson Crusoe as "the long story that never comes to an end"?
6. What is the double meaning of the phrase "family travelling through the flesh" in Drummond de Andrade's "Family Portrait"?
7. How does the location in "Santarem" parallel the Garden of Eden?
8. What was the political situation that inspired "The Hanging of the Mouse"?
9. In what style is Bandeira's poem "Brazilian Tragedy" composed?
10. What are two meanings of the title "The Waiting Room"?
This section contains 682 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)