|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does "Brazilian Tragedy" end?
(a) With a hanging.
(b) With a drug overdose.
(c) With gun violence.
(d) With cutting veins.
2. What memory does the toad in "Giant Toad" recall?
(a) Being chased.
(b) Being forced to smoke a cigarette.
(c) Being left in someone's bed.
(d) Being dropped in someone's soup.
3. What does it mean that some of Bishop's poems are "Uncollected"?
(a) The poet did not want them to be published.
(b) They were never published before.
(c) They were published in a variety of different works.
(d) They were only recently discovered.
4. To whom is "Sunday at Key West" dedicated?
(a) Bishop's tenant.
(b) Bishop's neighbor.
(c) Bishop's roommate.
(d) Bishop's landlady.
5. Who is the philosopher referenced in "The Wit"?
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Pink Dog," what does the poet suggest about including the dog at Carnival?
2. To what does the poet liken the ocean in "Pleasure Seas"?
3. How does the character distinguish himself from others with the same name?
4. How does the man treat the woman in "Brazilian Tragedy"?
5. What happens to the man in "Brazilian Tragedy"?
Short Essay Questions
1. From what perspective is the story of "The Hanging of the Mouse" told?
2. How are the "Four Sambas" by Anonymous different from the rest of the poems in the book?
3. How does Max Jacobs' "Hell Is Graduated" change in the course of the poem?
4. In what style is Bandeira's poem "Brazilian Tragedy" composed?
5. In Carlos Drummond de Andrade's "Infancy," why does the author refer to Robinson Crusoe as "the long story that never comes to an end"?
6. What was the political situation that inspired "The Hanging of the Mouse"?
7. What is the effect on the reader of the surprise ending in Vinicius de Moraes' "Sonnet of Intimacy"?
8. How is the character in "The Strayed Crab" an exaggerated human figure?
9. What is the moral Bishop puts forth in "Thank-You Note"?
10. How is the character in "The Giant Toad" an exaggerated human figure?
This section contains 658 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)