|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the poet explore in "For C.W.B."?
(b) Places they could live.
(c) An impending visit.
(d) Activities they could do together.
2. What is the subject of "My Last Poem"?
(a) The most recent poem Bandeira penned.
(b) What Bishop hopes her final poem will be like.
(c) Bishop's most recent poem, which is about Bandeira.
(d) What Bandeira hopes his final poem will be like.
3. Who wrote "Cemetery of Childhood" and "Elegy for Maria Alves"?
(a) Joaquim Cardozo.
(b) Manuel Bandeira.
(c) Joao Cabral de Melo Neto.
(d) Vinicius de Moraes.
4. What is the subject of the three poems in Rainy Season; Sub Tropics?
(a) Animals in the rain.
(b) Vegetation in the rain.
(c) Houses in the rain.
(d) Bodies of water in the rain.
5. In "Lullaby for the Cat," what does the cat not want to do?
(c) Go outside.
(d) Wake up.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the angel in "Patience of an Angel"?
2. Where did the poem "Sunday at Key West" originally appear?
3. Who is the title character in "For C.W.B."
4. Which of these poems is fourteen lines long?
5. What does the poet do with items on her desk in "12 O'Clock News"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the character in "The Giant Toad" an exaggerated human figure?
2. What does the poet mean by the line "We are too innocent and wise" in "The Wave"?
3. From what perspective is the story of "The Hanging of the Mouse" told?
4. Why did Bishop write "The Mountain" in the first person?
5. Which stanza in section XIV of "From 'The Death and Life of a Severino'" seems different from the others?
6. What is the effect on the reader of the surprise ending in Vinicius de Moraes' "Sonnet of Intimacy"?
7. What is the tone of "Lines Written in the Fannie Farmer Cookbook"?
8. How is the character in "The Giant Snail" an exaggerated human figure?
9. Why do you think Bishop chooses animals to symbolize the players in "The Hanging of the Mouse"?
10. Why does the poet begins the section called Geography III with a geography lesson that throws a series of unanswered questions at the reader?
This section contains 679 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)