|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what topic do many of Bishop's observations in the poems in North and South pertain?
2. What does Bishop display towards Moore in "Invitation to Miss Marianne Moore"?
(b) A desire to meet her.
(c) A superior attitude.
(d) Friendship and reverence.
3. What is the tone of the Four Poems?
(a) Subjective and personal.
(b) Entirely removed.
(c) Subjective yet removed.
4. In "Letter to N.Y.," whom is the poet addressing?
(a) Marianne Moore.
(b) Her husband.
(c) Louise Crane.
(d) Her parents.
5. What does the title character in "Manuelzinho" wear that is oddly painted?
(a) A hat.
(b) A belt.
(c) A pair of overalls.
(d) A shirt.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the title character in "Manuelzinho" do?
2. What is the title of one of the poems in Four Poems?
3. Where did Marianne Moore work?
4. What literary devices does Bishop employ in the poems in North and South?
5. What is involved in the resolution of Four Poems?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way does the language contrast with the emotional situation in "Songs for a Colored Singer?"
2. How does Bishop portray the hermit's loneliness in "Chemin de Fer"?
3. In "Questions of Travel," does the poet decide it is better to travel, or stay home and use one's imagination?
4. Why does the character in "The Gentleman of Shalott" think half of him would be enough?
5. What is the significance of the title of "The Prodigal"?
6. Why does Bishop chose the word "flying" in "Invitation to Miss Marianne Moore"?
7. How does Bishop use humor in "Manners"?
8. What is similar about the poems in North and South devoted to morning?
9. In what form is "The Burglar of Babylon" written? Why does the poet use this form?
10. Why does "Arrival at Santos" end with the tour group heading toward the interior of Brazil?
This section contains 632 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)