|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Micucu's auntie do in "The Burglar of Babylon"?
(a) Withholds money.
(b) Takes him into her home.
(c) Gives him money.
(d) Throws him out of her home.
2. What is the title of one of the poems in Four Poems?
3. What does "Jeronimo's House" describe?
(a) A tiny house.
(b) A barn.
(c) A large house.
(d) A dog house.
4. In "Brazil January 1, 1502," how does the poet attempt to view the scenery?
(a) From an artist's perspective.
(b) From an archaeological perspective.
(c) From a tourist's perspective.
(d) From an explorer's perspective.
5. How is the house in "Jeronimo's House" decorated?
(a) With drab colors and ornate decorations.
(b) With family photos.
(c) With vibrant colors and cheap decorations.
(d) With a Native American influence.
Short Answer Questions
1. When were the poems in North and South collected?
2. In "Letter to N.Y.," whom is the poet addressing?
3. What types of fish does the old man in "At the Fishhouses" catch?
4. What happens to the sheep in "Cape Breton"?
5. What color are the Brazilian warehouses?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "Questions of Travel," does the poet decide it is better to travel, or stay home and use one's imagination?
2. How does the title of "The Man-Moth" alter the feel of the poem?
3. How is the writing style in "The Riverman" unlike most of Bishop's poems?
4. What surprise does Bishop reveal in the last line of "Insomnia?"
5. What is the significance of the title of "The Prodigal"?
6. In what way does the language contrast with the emotional situation in "Songs for a Colored Singer?"
7. How does Bishop feel about winter in "The Colder the Air"?
8. What is Bishop comparing in "Large Bad Picture" when she refers to "commerce or contemplation"?
9. How is the tone of "A Cold Spring" in contrast to its subject matter?"
10. How do the poet's descriptions in "Arrival at Santos" reflect her dual state of mind?
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)