|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are two things Bishop and Moore can do together, as described in "Invitation to Miss Marianne Moore"?
(a) Walking and talking.
(b) Walking and having tea.
(c) Shopping and talking.
(d) Writing and having lunch.
2. The structure of the poem "Visits to St. Elizabeth's" is the same as what song?
(a) Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star.
(b) The Twelve Days of Christmas.
(c) I Know an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly.
(d) This Old Man.
3. What does the man in "The Riverman" want to be?
(a) A palm reader.
(b) A hypnotist.
(c) A fisherman.
(d) A witch doctor.
4. What is similar about the language in the poems in North and South?
(a) It is rambling.
(b) It is general.
(c) It is prosaic.
(d) It is crisp and precise.
5. In what time of day does "At the Fishhouses" take place?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one question the poet asks in "Questions of Travel"?
2. How does Bishop tend to portray caves and shores in North and South?
3. What is "The Burglar of Babylon" about?
4. Why is Bishop so eager to have Moore visit her?
5. In which section does the poet arrive in Santos?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the relationship between the fisherman and the fishhouse in "At the Fishhouses"?
2. In what form is "The Burglar of Babylon" written? Why does the poet use this form?
3. How does Bishop liken an iceberg to the soul in "The Imaginary Iceberg"?
4. What is the meaning of the lines "I'm afraid if it's wheat it's none of your sowing" in "Letter to N.Y."?
5. How does Bishop use humor in "Manners"?
6. What is the significance of the title of "The Prodigal"?
7. How do the poet's descriptions in "Arrival at Santos" reflect her dual state of mind?
8. How is the writing style in "The Riverman" unlike most of Bishop's poems?
9. What is similar about the poems in North and South devoted to morning?
10. How does the poet frame her journey in "Over 2,000 Illustrations and a Complete Concordance"?
This section contains 746 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)