|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did Bishop meet Moore?
(a) When Bishop was an older woman.
(b) When Bishop was a teenager.
(c) When Bishop was a young woman.
(d) When Bishop was a middle-aged woman.
2. What does the man in "The Gentleman of Shalott" believe about being only part of a man?
(a) That half is enough.
(b) That only a whole man is enough.
(c) That one quarter is enough.
(d) That one third is enough.
3. How long did the poet actually spend in Brazil?
(a) Fifteen years.
(b) Fifteen days.
(c) Eighteen days.
(d) Eighteen years.
4. How did the title "The Man-Moth" come to be?
(a) A child's mispronunciation.
(b) Bishop's troubled relationships.
(c) A newspaper misprint.
(d) Kafka's influence.
5. How is the house in "Jeronimo's House" decorated?
(a) With family photos.
(b) With a Native American influence.
(c) With drab colors and ornate decorations.
(d) With vibrant colors and cheap decorations.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Bishop's attitude toward the title character and his family in "Manuelzinho"?
2. Who is the old man in "At the Fishhouses"?
3. Why is Bishop so eager to have Moore visit her?
4. What makes the singer realize she is not dreaming in "Songs for a Colored Singer"?
5. In what time of day does "At the Fishhouses" take place?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Bishop use the structure of building each line upon the last in "Visits to St. Elizabeth's"?
2. How does Bishop feel about winter in "The Colder the Air"?
3. Why does Bishop chose the word "flying" in "Invitation to Miss Marianne Moore"?
4. How are the poems in North and South devoted to morning different?
5. Does Bishop see the ocean as ever-changing or never changing in the poems in Cold Spring?
6. What is the significance of the trees capturing the music in "View of the Capitol from the Library of Congress"?
7. What two things is Bishop comparing in "Brazil, January 1, 1502"?
8. How does the title of "The Man-Moth" alter the feel of the poem?
9. What is the relationship between the fisherman and the fishhouse in "At the Fishhouses"?
10. Why does the character in "The Gentleman of Shalott" think half of him would be enough?
This section contains 671 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)