|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to the man in "Brazilian Tragedy"?
(a) He has a breakdown.
(b) He leaves the woman.
(c) He gets a divorce.
(d) He gets married.
2. In "Pink Dog," what does the poet suggest about including the dog at Carnival?
(a) That its toenails be painted pink.
(b) That it shouldn't be included.
(c) That it looks perfect painted pink.
(d) That it should wear a costume.
3. What does the devil remind the living in "Patience of an Angel"?
(a) That he is more patient than angels.
(b) That angels aren't real.
(c) That the devil can defeat an angel.
(d) That he is an angel.
4. Who marches the mouse to his execution in "The Hanging of the Mouse"?
5. What literary device does "12 O'Clock News" employ?
6. In what years were the poems in Uncollected Poems composed?
7. What is the symbolic meaning of "Pleasure Seas"?
(a) Nature is outside the realm of man's understanding.
(b) Civilization cannot exist without nature.
(c) Man has imposed civilization on nature.
(d) Nature is wild, while man is more civilized.
8. Who cries for the mouse in "The Hanging of the Mouse"?
(a) The bird.
(b) The mouse's wife.
(c) The praying mantis.
(d) The cat.
9. In "The Mountain," what does the mountain want to know?
(a) How old it is.
(b) Whether the world was better before there were people.
(c) Why time is so important to people.
(d) Why it feels so much older than it is.
10. In "In the Waiting Room," what does the poet wonder about the photos of the tribal women in National Geographic?
(a) If they are starving.
(b) If they are homeless.
(c) If she'll be like them some day.
(d) If they live close by.
11. For what was Fannie Farmer, as portrayed in "Lines Written in the Fannie Farmer Cookbook," most famous?
(a) Recipes and housekeeping tips.
(b) A cooking show on the radio.
(c) Gourmet recipes.
(d) Recipes related to farming.
12. How is the poet's perspective in Uncollected Poems different from that in her other poems?
(a) They're more personal.
(b) They're more objective.
(c) They're more universal.
(d) They're more detached.
13. Who visits the poet in "House Guest"?
(a) Marianne Moore.
(b) A fashion designer.
(c) A tailor.
(d) A seamstress.
14. What are the Brothers of the Souls carrying in "From 'The Life and Death of a Severino""?
(a) A dead king.
(c) A dead pauper.
(d) A newborn baby.
15. What do the poems in Youth deal with?
(b) Life cycles.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did the poem "Sunday at Key West" originally appear?
2. In "Banks," to what does the poet compare his complaining?
3. What is the visitor's mood in "House Guest"?
4. How does the character distinguish himself from others with the same name?
5. Who is the author of the Four Sambas?
This section contains 498 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)