|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who wrote "Cemetery of Childhood" and "Elegy for Maria Alves"?
(a) Joaquim Cardozo.
(b) Joao Cabral de Melo Neto.
(c) Vinicius de Moraes.
(d) Manuel Bandeira.
2. Where is the poet located as she composes "The Moose"?
(a) A bus in Canada.
(b) A train in Canada.
(c) A train in Alaska.
(d) A bus in Alaska.
3. In "Banks," to what does the poet compare his complaining?
(a) A violin.
(b) A flute.
(c) A bassoon.
(d) A drum.
4. What does "The Wit" describe?
(a) A moment of laughter.
(b) A practical joke.
(c) A moment of sarcasm.
(d) A highly intelligent person.
5. Where did the poem "Sunday at Key West" originally appear?
(a) In an anthology.
(b) In a newspaper.
(c) In a letter to Bishop's landlady.
(d) In a letter to Marianne Moore.
6. What does "A Word With You" describe?
(a) A trip to the zoo.
(b) A trip to the park.
(c) An intimate conversation.
7. Why is the dog pink in "Pink Dog"?
(a) It is sick and has lost its hair.
(b) The children have painted it.
(c) It knocked over a can of paint.
(d) The sunset makes it look pink.
8. What do the characters in Rainy Season; Sub-Tropics symbolize?
(a) Exaggerated human traits.
(b) That most people are lost.
(c) Effects of different locales on humans.
(d) Different human reactions to rain.
9. What does the poet do with items on her desk in "12 O'Clock News"?
(a) She writes news stories about them.
(b) She writes stories in which they come to life.
(c) She re-arranges them while watching the news.
(d) She hides them around the room for a child to find.
10. Which of these poems is fourteen lines long?
(a) "The Mountain."
(c) "Lullaby for the Cat."
(d) "Sunday at Key West."
11. Where was the poet Max Jacob from?
(b) New York.
12. What experience does the reader gain from the poems in Translations?
(a) Poetry from Bishop's time and place.
(b) Poetry from a different time and place.
(c) A sense of Bishop's relationship with the poets.
(d) Bishop's view of the poems.
13. What is the symbolic meaning of "Pleasure Seas"?
(a) Man has imposed civilization on nature.
(b) Nature is wild, while man is more civilized.
(c) Civilization cannot exist without nature.
(d) Nature is outside the realm of man's understanding.
14. Who is the angel in "Patience of an Angel"?
(b) A child.
15. What does "Brazilian Tragedy" depict?
(a) Bandeira's sadness in Brazil.
(b) Bishop rescuing Bandeira.
(c) Bishop's hard life in Brazil.
(d) A man rescuing a prostitute.
Short Answer Questions
1. What Bible story is alluded to in "Santarem?"
2. In "Lines Written in the Fannie Farmer Cookbook," what is the poet's attitude toward Fannie Farmer?
3. Who are the authors of the poems Bishop translated in Translations?
4. How does the man treat the woman in "Brazilian Tragedy"?
5. What does the moose do in "The Moose"?
This section contains 520 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)