|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To whom is "Sunday at Key West" dedicated?
(a) Bishop's landlady.
(b) Bishop's tenant.
(c) Bishop's neighbor.
(d) Bishop's roommate.
2. What does the poet first recognize in "In the Waiting Room"?
(a) That she will someday have a mature female body.
(b) That she wants to travel.
(c) That she is a strong reader.
(d) That she is afraid of dentists.
3. What two things does the poem "Pleasure Seas" compare?
(a) The ocean and a swimming pool.
(b) The ocean and a bathtub.
(c) The ocean and a river.
(d) The ocean and a brook.
4. How does "Brazilian Tragedy" end?
(a) With cutting veins.
(b) With a drug overdose.
(c) With gun violence.
(d) With a hanging.
5. What experience does the reader gain from the poems in Translations?
(a) A sense of Bishop's relationship with the poets.
(b) Poetry from a different time and place.
(c) Bishop's view of the poems.
(d) Poetry from Bishop's time and place.
6. What does the devil remind the living in "Patience of an Angel"?
(a) That the devil can defeat an angel.
(b) That he is an angel.
(c) That angels aren't real.
(d) That he is more patient than angels.
7. Where did the poem "Sunday at Key West" originally appear?
(a) In a newspaper.
(b) In a letter to Bishop's landlady.
(c) In a letter to Marianne Moore.
(d) In an anthology.
8. Where is the poet located as she composes "Night City"?
(a) In New York.
(b) In an airplane.
(c) In Paris.
(d) On a train.
9. Who is the angel in "Patience of an Angel"?
(d) A child.
10. What does the moose do in "The Moose"?
(a) Causes the bus to crash.
(b) Stands in the road, then steps aside.
(c) Causes the train to crash.
11. Why is the character's name so common in 'From "The Life and Death of a Severino'"?
(a) The village residents are members of the same family.
(b) It was the name of a local hero.
(c) It was the name of a king.
(d) It was the name of a local celebrity.
12. To what does the poet compare love in the third part of Three Valentines?
(a) A sea bird.
(b) A mother bird.
(c) A feathered bird.
(d) A baby bird.
13. How does nature celebrate the birth of a baby in "From 'The Life and Death of a Severino'"?
(a) The rain starts.
(b) The tide does not go out.
(c) The tide does not come in.
(d) The rain stops.
14. What does the woman demonstrate in "Brazilian Tragedy"?
(d) A giving nature.
15. What do the Brothers of the Souls know about the pauper in 'From "The Life and Death of a Severino"'?
(a) His name.
(b) His age.
(c) His job.
(d) Very little.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the subject of many of the poems in Translations?
2. Of the Spanish poems Bishop translated, which is the most poetic?
3. Where was the poet Max Jacob from?
4. What is the sea awaiting in 'From "The Life and Death of a Severino"'?
5. What does "The Wit" describe?
This section contains 514 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)