|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what Southern state are some of the poems in North and South set?
2. To what topic do many of Bishop's observations in the poems in North and South pertain?
3. What happens in "A Miracle for Breakfast"?
(a) A man calls room service.
(b) A man scatters crumbs.
(c) A man has only coffee for breakfast.
(d) A man does not share his roll.
4. What is similar about the language in the poems in North and South?
(a) It is rambling.
(b) It is general.
(c) It is prosaic.
(d) It is crisp and precise.
5. What effect does the tone have on the Four Poems?
(a) It makes the reader less sympathetic to the plight of the people portrayed in them.
(b) It makes the reader more sympathetic to the plight of the people portrayed in them.
(c) It makes them specific to the two people portrayed in them.
(d) It makes them more universal.
6. What were the poet's initial reactions to Brazil?
(a) Curiosity and distaste.
(c) A desire to stay for many years.
7. What do the poems in Four Poems describe?
(a) Agreement between lovers.
(b) Passion between lovers.
(c) An argument between lovers.
(d) A marriage proposal.
8. Where does Micucu hide in "The Burglar of Babylon"?
(a) In the hills.
(b) In a church.
(c) In a ditch.
(d) In a barn.
9. How is the water temperature described in "Cape Breton"?
(a) A piercing chill.
(b) A timeless chill.
(c) An ancient chill.
(d) A fierce chill.
10. What are two sounds the poet appreciates in "Questions of Travel"?
(a) Rain and frogs.
(b) Tap shoes and a cricket's chirp.
(c) Wind and roosters.
(d) Wooden clogs and a bird's song.
11. What does the title character in "Manuelzinho" wear that is oddly painted?
(a) A pair of overalls.
(b) A hat.
(c) A shirt.
(d) A belt.
12. How does the family react to the poet in "Manuelzinho"?
(a) Steals her money and candy.
(b) Avoids her but accepts money and candy.
(c) Accepts her but refuses money and candy.
(d) Gives her money and candy.
13. Why does Bishop love the sea?
(a) It is ever-changing.
(b) It is both ever-changing and unchanging.
(c) She loves to swim.
(d) It is unchanging.
14. In what city are many of the poems in North and South set?
(a) New York.
15. Where did Marianne Moore work?
(a) A museum.
(b) A book store.
(c) The New York Public Library.
(d) The Library of Congress.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the poem "Roosters" describe?
2. What are two things Bishop and Moore can do together, as described in "Invitation to Miss Marianne Moore"?
3. The structure of the poem "Visits to St. Elizabeth's" is the same as what song?
4. In what year does Questions of Travel begin?
5. How did the title "The Man-Moth" come to be?
This section contains 503 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)