|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The structure of the poem "Visits to St. Elizabeth's" is the same as what song?
(a) The Twelve Days of Christmas.
(b) This Old Man.
(c) I Know an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly.
(d) Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star.
2. How does the family react to the poet in "Manuelzinho"?
(a) Steals her money and candy.
(b) Gives her money and candy.
(c) Accepts her but refuses money and candy.
(d) Avoids her but accepts money and candy.
3. What does Bishop compare the winter wind to in "The Colder the Air"?
(a) A tigress.
(b) A hunter.
(c) A huntress.
(d) A tiger.
4. What is described in "Love Lies Sleeping"?
(a) Waking in a house.
(b) Riding on a plane.
(c) Waking in a hotel.
(d) Riding on a train.
5. To what does Bishop devote three poems to in North and South?
6. How is the house in "Jeronimo's House" decorated?
(a) With vibrant colors and cheap decorations.
(b) With a Native American influence.
(c) With family photos.
(d) With drab colors and ornate decorations.
7. Where did Marianne Moore work?
(a) A museum.
(b) The New York Public Library.
(c) A book store.
(d) The Library of Congress.
8. What is described in the poem "Paris, 7 A.M."?
(a) Arriving in Paris.
(c) Riding a train.
(d) Observing a courtyard from an apartment window.
9. When did Bishop meet Moore?
(a) When Bishop was a middle-aged woman.
(b) When Bishop was a teenager.
(c) When Bishop was an older woman.
(d) When Bishop was a young woman.
10. How does Bishop compare an iceberg to a ship in North and South?
(a) The ship is more regal.
(b) The ship is of more benefit to the soul.
(c) The iceberg is more dangerous.
(d) The iceberg is more interesting.
11. What does Bishop's uncommon vocabulary reflect about her settings?
(a) The culture and the feel of the people.
(b) The way the people speak.
(c) The customs and mannerisms of the people.
(d) The foods consumed in these places.
12. What does "Arrival at Santos" depict?
(a) The poet's first experience with Brazilian scenery and culture.
(b) The poet's first experience with Brazilian food.
(c) The poet's first experience with border guards.
(d) The poet's first experience with travel.
13. What are two things Bishop and Moore can do together, as described in "Invitation to Miss Marianne Moore"?
(a) Walking and having tea.
(b) Walking and talking.
(c) Writing and having lunch.
(d) Shopping and talking.
14. In what city are many of the poems in North and South set?
(c) New York.
15. What color are the Brazilian warehouses?
(a) Black or white.
(b) White or gray.
(c) Black or gray.
(d) Pink of blue.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is involved in the resolution of Four Poems?
2. Where does Micucu hide in "The Burglar of Babylon"?
3. What is similar about the language in the poems in North and South?
4. What is "The Burglar of Babylon" about?
5. What quality do the poems in North and South share?
This section contains 523 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)