|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who do the characters pick up in "Manners"?
(a) A boy and his dog.
(b) A boy and his falcon.
(c) A boy and his crow.
(d) A boy and his goat.
2. What does Bishop display towards Moore in "Invitation to Miss Marianne Moore"?
(b) A desire to meet her.
(c) A superior attitude.
(d) Friendship and reverence.
3. What makes the singer realize she is not dreaming in "Songs for a Colored Singer"?
(a) The dreams are too clear.
(b) The dreams are too terrible.
(c) The dreams are too happy.
(d) The dreams are too fuzzy.
4. How is the water temperature described in "Cape Breton"?
(a) An ancient chill.
(b) A piercing chill.
(c) A timeless chill.
(d) A fierce chill.
5. Where did Bishop grow up?
(c) New York.
(d) Nova Scotia.
6. In what Southern state are some of the poems in North and South set?
7. Who is traveling on a wagon in "Manners"?
(a) A girl and her father.
(b) A girl and her grandfather.
(c) A girl and her grandmother.
(d) A girl and her mother.
8. What happens to the sheep in "Cape Breton"?
(a) They get scared by the planes and walk off the edge of a cliff.
(b) They get scared by the waves and walk off the edge of a cliff.
(c) They drown.
(d) They get scared by the birds and walk off the edge of a cliff.
9. Who is the old man in "At the Fishhouses"?
(a) The poet's grandfather's friend.
(b) The poet's father's friend.
(c) The poet's grandfather.
(d) The poet's father.
10. What do several of the poems in North and South pay homage?
11. What do the poems in Four Poems describe?
(a) Agreement between lovers.
(b) An argument between lovers.
(c) A marriage proposal.
(d) Passion between lovers.
12. The structure of the poem "Visits to St. Elizabeth's" is the same as what song?
(a) This Old Man.
(b) I Know an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly.
(c) The Twelve Days of Christmas.
(d) Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star.
13. "Questions of Travel" is in what format?
(a) A debate.
(b) A list of meandering questions.
(c) An answer to a single question.
(d) Question and answer.
14. What is involved in the resolution of Four Poems?
(d) A decision to wed.
15. What is similar about the language in the poems in North and South?
(a) It is prosaic.
(b) It is crisp and precise.
(c) It is general.
(d) It is rambling.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Large Bad Picture," how does Bishop portray the flying birds?
2. What could the tone of the Four Poems indicate about the poet?
3. In what year does Questions of Travel begin?
4. What types of fish does the old man in "At the Fishhouses" catch?
5. When were the poems in North and South collected?
This section contains 484 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)