|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the man in "The Gentleman of Shalott" believe about being only part of a man?
(a) That one quarter is enough.
(b) That only a whole man is enough.
(c) That half is enough.
(d) That one third is enough.
2. How does Bishop tend to characterize a person's feelings and moods in the poems in North and South?
3. What does the singer do in "Songs for a Colored Singer?"
(a) Leaves her boyfriend.
(b) Stays with her boyfriend.
(c) Stays with her husband.
(d) Leaves her husband.
4. How did the title "The Man-Moth" come to be?
(a) Bishop's troubled relationships.
(b) A child's mispronunciation.
(c) A newspaper misprint.
(d) Kafka's influence.
5. What is the subject of "The Gentleman of Shalott"?
(a) A man looking at his reflection in water.
(b) A man looking into a mirror.
(c) A man traveling on water.
(d) A man breaking a mirror.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is described in "Love Lies Sleeping"?
2. What does "Jeronimo's House" describe?
3. What does Bishop's uncommon vocabulary reflect about her settings?
4. What happens in "A Miracle for Breakfast"?
5. In what Southern state are some of the poems in North and South set?
This section contains 260 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)