|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What river does Dionysus go across?
2. What are Eulipides and Pisthetaerus doing at the start of The Birds?
3. Where are Mnesilochus and his cousin going to at the beginning of Thesmophoriazusae?
4. Why do the old women take over that particular building in Lysistrata?
5. In Thesmophoriazusae, what punishment do the women want to apply to Mnesilochus' cousin?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Praxagora's husband reacting to the new rules instating by Praxagora?
2. How is the life of a young man as a result of the new regime in The Assemblywomen?
3. Who and what are the Eulipides and Pisthetaerus looking for in The Birds?
4. Who becomes king of the birds at the end of The Birds?
5. How are the women's meeting organized in Thesmophoriazusae?
6. Why are Dionysus and Xanthias visiting Dionysus's half-brother in The Frogs?
7. Why is Dionysus changing clothes so often in the middle of The Frogs?
8. What is the old women's role in Lysistrata's plan?
9. Who volunteers to spy on the women on behalf of Euripides in Thesmophoraizusae?
10. In the play The Frogs, where are Dionysus and Xanthias going and how are they greeted when they arrived?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the Birds, Aristophanes speculates on the creation of a utopia based on two men who want to return to nature by escaping civilization. What aspects of civilization do the men want to escape from, and how does their desire for escape lead to the formation of a utopia? Define utopia in your discussion and use examples from the play to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 2
In Knights, Aristophanes uses satire in his depiction of democracy and its leaders. Who does Aristophanes use satire to describe? Make sure you define satire and identify the leader whom Aristophanes is emphasizing in Knights, while providing examples from the book to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the role of Socrates in The Clouds and discuss why his character in this play proved controversial. Would you consider his depiction of Socrates comedic? Distorted? Make sure you identify Socrates' role as a well-known and intellectual figure in Athens. Give examples of how Aristophanes used comedy or distorted the truth in his depiction of Socrates in Clouds.
This section contains 691 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)