|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the visitor from Sparta want?
2. Who tries to burn down the gates after the women take over the building?
3. In Thesmophoriazusae, what did Mnesilochus' cousin ask Agathon?
4. In The Assemblywomen, what does Praxagora want to do to remedy the situation in Athens?
5. Who arrives in the city after the chorus of men commiserates with Cinesias?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Euripides rescue Mnesilochus after his arrest?
2. Why are Dionysus and Xanthias visiting Dionysus's half-brother in The Frogs?
3. Why is Dionysus changing clothes so often in the middle of The Frogs?
4. In the play The Frogs, where are Dionysus and Xanthias going and how are they greeted when they arrived?
5. Why do the women want to take power in The Assemblywomen and how do they plan on overthrowing the men?
6. What are Aeschylus and Euripides representing in The Frogs?
7. In The Birds, what happens to Eulipides and Pisthetaerus after they eat the root given by Hoopoe?
8. What does Lysistrata find some of the women trying to do?
9. How do Pisthetaerus and the birds subdue the gods?
10. Who volunteers to spy on the women on behalf of Euripides in Thesmophoraizusae?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the Birds, Aristophanes speculates on the creation of a utopia based on two men who want to return to nature by escaping civilization. What aspects of civilization do the men want to escape from, and how does their desire for escape lead to the formation of a utopia? Define utopia in your discussion and use examples from the play to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 2
In Peace, analyze Aristophanes' depiction of the theme of peace versus war. How does Aristophanes feel about war? How does he feel about those who benefit from it, financially or otherwise?
Essay Topic 3
As with many of Aristophanes' works, discuss the satire depicted in the culture of Athen's judicial system and Cleon. Discuss the accusations Aristophanes makes against Cleon in Wasps. Use examples from the book to support your statements.
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)