|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when Amphitheus meets with the Spartans?
2. What happened to the Acharnians' farms before the play begins?
3. In Peace, what is Hermes trying to prevent after War leaves heaven?
4. When Cleon and the sausage merchant are off stage, who is praised in the second part of the speech by the chorus?
5. In Peace, after much effort by the chorus, who comes out of the unblocked entrance?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Aristophanes portray the Athenian political system in The Knights?
2. Why is Strepsiades expelled shortly after his enrollment at the school in The Clouds?
3. Why did the gods leave heaven in the Peace?
4. What does Demos and the sausage merchant think of the future at the end of The Knights?
5. What is Dicaeopolis waiting for at the beginning of Acharnians and why?
6. In The Wasps, what argument does Bdelycleon make against the judicial system?
7. Why is Cleon portrayed as a betraying slave in The Knights?
8. How does Cleon react to losing the support of the crowd in The Knights?
9. What arguments does Dicaeopolis' use before the crowd while his head is on the chopping block?
10. Where does Strepsiades want to enroll his son Pheidippides in The Clouds?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Peace, analyze Aristophanes' depiction of the theme of peace versus war. How does Aristophanes feel about war? How does he feel about those who benefit from it, financially or otherwise?
Essay Topic 2
In Knights, Aristophanes uses satire in his depiction of democracy and its leaders. Who does Aristophanes use satire to describe? Make sure you define satire and identify the leader whom Aristophanes is emphasizing in Knights, while providing examples from the book to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the importance of dialogue in Aristophanes' Frogs. Although the dialogue may come across as comedic, the dialogue is actually vital to understand proper roles of the city and culture. Discuss these roles as depicted by Aristophanes and how these are presented through character dialogue.
This section contains 768 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)