|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Trygaeus do after arriving in heaven?
2. How does Bdelycleon propose to settle the dispute between him and the Wasps concerning his father?
3. At the think-shop, who is Strepsiades presented to after his enrollment?
4. Whose money is Pheidippides betting with at the beginning of The Clouds?
5. How old is Dicaeopolis?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Strepsiades want to enroll his son Pheidippides in The Clouds?
2. Why are Demosthenes and Nicias portrayed as slaves in The Knights?
3. What are the two slaves doing at the start of the Peace?
4. In Peace, what prevented peace form coming back according to Trygaeus and Hermes?
5. Why is Dicaeopolis frustrated after the assembly adjournment?
6. In what way does Pheidippides change after finishing his training in The Clouds?
7. What reversal of fortune does Philocleon experience at the end of The Wasps?
8. In Peace, why does Trygaeus want to see the gods?
9. Why is Strepsiades expelled shortly after his enrollment at the school in The Clouds?
10. How does Aristophanes portray the Athenian political system in The Knights?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Satire is a literary style often used by Aristophanes in his plays, through which he uses humor and criticism to examine the nature of government, society, war and gender roles. In Lysistrata, Aristophanes uses satire to examine several different themes. In a critical essay, examine what themes Aristophanes focuses on and how he uses double entendres to add humor. In your essay, make sure you define both satire and double entendres, as well as use examples from the book to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 2
In Knights, Aristophanes uses satire in his depiction of democracy and its leaders. Who does Aristophanes use satire to describe? Make sure you define satire and identify the leader whom Aristophanes is emphasizing in Knights, while providing examples from the book to support your discussion.
Essay Topic 3
In Peace, analyze Aristophanes' depiction of the theme of peace versus war. How does Aristophanes feel about war? How does he feel about those who benefit from it, financially or otherwise?
This section contains 751 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)