|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mrs. Motonowa get Vladek and Anja to her house?
2. How does Artie describe the position his mother puts him in by killing herself?
3. Who does Vladek run into on Modrezejowska Street?
4. What happens when Vladek and Anja are followed after leaving Mrs. Motonowa’s house?
5. How does the “Prisoner on the Hell Planet” differ from the rest of Maus stylistically?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are Vladek and his fellow prisoners caught in their bunker?
2. What does Vladek find when he goes out to reconnoitre Sosonwiec while Anja hides?
3. What does Artie learn from Vladek about Anja’s journals?
4. Where do Vladek and his fellow prisoners go after leaving Srodula?
5. What was life like among the Zylberbergs after Vladek returned from the POW camp?
6. Where does Vladek say he worked in Sosnowiec?
7. How does Art Spiegelman include Maus within the book itself?
8. Describe Vladek’s first business deal after returning from the POW camp.
9. What does Vladek learn from Kahum Cohn’s example?
10. How is the “Prisoner on the Hell Planet” different from the rest of Maus?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When is Maus most itself? What is its characteristic passage, or moment? What makes that moment or passage the most representative of the book as a whole? Are there any places where the book seems to depart from its typical self, as if to become a different book?
Essay Topic 2
Use this book as a meditation on the value of a five-star rating system. Is a five-star system sufficient to a book like this? Would you need to have sub-topics for the rating system, for plot, characterization, language, etc? What other sub-topics would you need? What value or importance gets lost in a five-star scale? Design a scale that would be better for this book.
Essay Topic 3
What character traits allow Vladek and Anja to survive the Holocaust? What character traits led others to their deaths? Was there a formula for surviving the Holocaust, or was it merely luck, who survived and who did not?
This section contains 993 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)