|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Vladek and Artie are at the bank together, what complaint does Vladek make about Mala?
2. What happens the next time Vladek goes to Modrezejowska Street?
3. Where does Vladek visit after he runs into someone he knew on Modrezejowska Street?
4. Who does Vladek run into on Modrezejowska Street?
5. What is Vladek doing when Artie sees him next in Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Artie learn from Vladek about Anja’s journals?
2. Why is Mala at her wit’s end in the beginning of Chapter 6?
3. How did Vladek and Anja end up being deported to Auschwitz?
4. How has the war affected the Zylberbegs morale?
5. Describe Vladek’s first business deal after returning from the POW camp.
6. What does Vladek learn from Kahum Cohn’s example?
7. How do Vladek and his fellow prisoners make their way out of Srodula?
8. Who is Haskel, and what is his position in the ghetto?
9. What kind of reception do Vladek and Anja get when they inquire with Mrs. Kawka about hiding with her?
10. How does Vladek acquire new skills in Sosnowiec?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Vladek and Mala are constantly bickering, unlike Vladek and Anja, in the historical narrative. How does the present-day relationship between Vladek and Mala mirror or revise the larger themes in the historical narrative of Maus?
Essay Topic 2
Where is the climax of this book? Are there different climaxes? What questions does each climax resolve? What questions does each climax leave unanswered?
Essay Topic 3
What parts of Maus do you think would be applicable to any traumatic experience? Describe the aspects of Art Spiegelman’s book that could be universalized. Which parts could not be?
This section contains 1,009 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)