|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Artie say was his father’s policy regarding food?
2. When were Vladek and Anja married?
3. What wedding gift does Artie’s father say his father-in-law gave him?
4. What does Artie’s father say his father-in-law wanted to procure for him?
5. How was Vladek’s brother Marcus kept out of the army?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Anja’s family invest in Vladek’s ambitions?
2. Describe Vladek’s dream and its meaning.
3. What does Vladek do with Artie’s jacket?
4. What tasks are Vladek and his companions given at the work assignment?
5. Describe Vladek’s accommodations at the POW camp.
6. What happens to Vladek and Anja in 1939?
7. What news greets Vladek and Anja when they return from Czechoslovakia to Poland?
8. Describe Vladek’s relationship with Lucia Greenberg, as described in Chapter 1.
9. In addition to Vladek being released from the work camp during Parshas Truma, what events take place at Parshas Truma?
10. How does Artie’s father characterize himself in the time before he met Anja?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When is Maus most itself? What is its characteristic passage, or moment? What makes that moment or passage the most representative of the book as a whole? Are there any places where the book seems to depart from its typical self, as if to become a different book?
Essay Topic 2
What parts of Maus do you think would be applicable to any traumatic experience? Describe the aspects of Art Spiegelman’s book that could be universalized. Which parts could not be?
Essay Topic 3
In what ways is Maus relevant to contemporary readers? What contemporary issues are in play in the book, and how would the book contribute to contemporary discussion? Cite specific discussions from contemporary sources, and cite specific instances from the book that describe its contemporary relevance.
This section contains 822 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)