|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What task is Vladek assigned to after being captured in the war?
2. What does Vladek do when his eye doctor misdiagnoses him?
3. What does Artie say was his father’s policy regarding food?
4. When did the war begin for Vladek?
5. Where does Vladek says that he saw the swastika for the first time?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Anja’s involvement in the politics in Czechoslovakia?
2. What problems does Artie's father have with his eyes?
3. What happens to Vladek and Anja in 1939?
4. How does Vladek get back to Sosnowiec?
5. What consequences do Anja’s political activities have?
6. What tasks are Vladek and the other prisoners given after the battle?
7. What does Vladek do with Artie’s jacket?
8. In addition to Vladek being released from the work camp during Parshas Truma, what events take place at Parshas Truma?
9. Describe Vladek’s relationship with Lucia Greenberg, as described in Chapter 1.
10. What explains Vladek’s decision to marry Anja and not Lucia Greenberg?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Use this book as a meditation on the value of a five-star rating system. Is a five-star system sufficient to a book like this? Would you need to have sub-topics for the rating system, for plot, characterization, language, etc? What other sub-topics would you need? What value or importance gets lost in a five-star scale? Design a scale that would be better for this book.
Essay Topic 2
Write a character sketch of the author based on his style and content. What values does he hold dear? What are his hopes and fears? What kind of person do you think he is? Anchor your sketch in passages in the book.
Essay Topic 3
How would you rewrite Maus if you were to adapt it and make it your own? What part of the book would you preserve? What part would you change? Explain your motivation for the changes you would make.
This section contains 884 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)