|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Anja’s teacher tell Artie's father tell about Anja?
2. How does the process of gathering information change Artie’s relationship with his father?
3. What was the outcome for the person who was arrested due to Anja's work for her friend?
4. Who is Lucia Greenberg?
5. When does Maus begin?
Short Essay Questions
1. What doubts does Vladek have about Artie’s comic book idea?
2. Describe Vladek’s dream and its meaning.
3. What effect does the birth of Richieu have on Vladek and Anja?
4. How does Anja’s family invest in Vladek’s ambitions?
5. What happens to Vladek and Anja in 1939?
6. What is life like at the sanitarium for Vladek and Anja?
7. How was Vladek kept out of the Polish army the first time, and why did he end up going into the army the next year?
8. How does Vladek get back to Sosnowiec?
9. What political news do Vladek and Anja hear on their way to Czechoslovakia?
10. What animals are people depicted as, in Maus?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is missing from this book? What should have been covered or presented that was not? What is the effect of this absence? Describe an element that ought to have been covered, and explain why it would have made the book stronger.
Essay Topic 2
Most of the action of Maus takes place in Poland as Vladek recounts his experiences there, but Artie is American, and the story also takes place in Rego Park. In what way is Maus an American book?
Essay Topic 3
Would you recommend Maus? For what purposes would you recommend Maus, and what kinds of readers would you recommend it for? What other book would you recommend that would cover the same material or tell the same story in a different way?
This section contains 832 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)