|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Art Spiegelman at the beginning of the memoir?
2. What plans do Anja’s family and Vladek make after the birth of Vladek and Anja’s first son?
3. What is the age difference between Artie's father and Anja?
4. What work are Vladek and his fellows given for their work detail?
5. What does Anja’s closet tell Vladek about her character?
Short Essay Questions
1. What tasks are Vladek and the other prisoners given after the battle?
2. What animals are people depicted as, in Maus?
3. Describe Vladek’s accommodations at the POW camp.
4. How is it that Vladek comes to know English?
5. What is Anja’s involvement in the politics in Czechoslovakia?
6. Describe Vladek’s experience during battle.
7. Describe the partition of Poland under the Nazis.
8. How does Artie characterize his father’s relationship with Mala, his wife?
9. Describe Vladek’s health when Artie sees him again at the beginning of Chapter 2.
10. How was Vladek kept out of the Polish army the first time, and why did he end up going into the army the next year?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How would Maus be different if it were written from a female perspective? What if it were a daughter trying to get her mother’s story? What parts of the book might remain the same? What parts of the book would be completely different?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the importance of Artie's father and Artie's mother in Maus. How are they each important, and what is the difference between their importance in Artie’s eyes?
Essay Topic 3
Would you recommend Maus? For what purposes would you recommend Maus, and what kinds of readers would you recommend it for? What other book would you recommend that would cover the same material or tell the same story in a different way?
This section contains 796 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)