|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Vladek find out is the problem with his in-laws’ family’s finance during the war?
(a) They have to pay so much to bribe German soldiers that there is hardly enough to live on.
(b) The cost of things has risen so high that they cannot maintain their lifestyle.
(c) They have lost their factories, but they are still living like they did before the war.
(d) Their taxes have been raised so high that they are making textiles at a loss.
2. What does Vladek use for currency?
(a) Polish zlotys.
(b) The jewels he saved.
(c) German Marks.
3. Why does Artie’s father say that Anja’s Uncle Herman and Aunt Helen were lucky?
(a) They had passed as Germans and were saved from the fighting.
(b) They were friends with some powerful Nazis.
(c) They were in New York when the war started.
(d) The could were in England when the war began.
4. What happens the next time Vladek goes to Modrezejowska Street?
(a) The Nazis close off the street to inspect people’s papers.
(b) A roadside bomb goes off.
(c) There is a gun battle.
(d) A fight breaks out between Poles and German soldiers.
5. What happened to Nahum Cohn, and Jews who did business without coupons?
(a) They were deported.
(b) They were hung.
(c) They were interrogated.
(d) They were arrested and beaten.
6. Where does Vladek take refuge as Srodula is liquidated?
(a) In the latrine.
(b) In an underground bunker.
(c) Beneath the German officers’ quarters.
(d) In a bunker inside a pile of shoes.
7. How does Vladek avoid trouble at Modrezejowska Street?
(a) He disappears into a building.
(b) He hides in a sewer.
(c) He pretends to be a workman.
(d) He bribes an officer.
8. Who causes Vladek and Anja to be arrested?
(a) Their fellow passengers.
(b) The smugglers.
(c) People who used to know them.
(d) The Gestapo stops them randomly.
9. What offer does Ilzecki make to Vladek, as described in Chapter 4?
(a) He offers to send Richieu away for safekeeping.
(b) He offers to get Vladek a job in a factory.
(c) He offers to help Vladek return to his factory in Bielsko.
(d) He offers to smuggle Vladek and his wife out of Poland.
10. What does the guard find in Vladek’s shoe polish?
(a) A letter.
(c) A watch.
(d) A ring.
11. What does Artie’s father say Anja was doing during their time in the ghetto?
(a) Researching methods of escape.
(b) Selling things on the black market.
(c) Housework, and writing in her journal.
(d) Taking care of neighborhood children.
12. What does Artie say overwhelms him at his mother’s funeral?
13. Where does Vladek visit after he runs into someone he knew on Modrezejowska Street?
(a) To the banks where he hopes to get a loan.
(b) To the stores where people knew him enough to lend him money.
(c) To the shops that owed him money from before the war.
(d) To the food markets where he might be able to buy black market meat.
14. What part of his father’s story does Artie say he wishes he knew more about?
(a) Richieu’s story.
(b) The story of the Polish leaders.
(c) Anja’s story.
(d) The story of the ghettos.
15. What does Artie’s father say happens if he does not pedal on his exercise bike?
(a) His heart gets weak.
(b) He loses feeling in his toes.
(c) He gets leg cramps.
(d) He gets short of breath.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Vladek get a work card?
2. What question is Vladek forced to answer when a man stumbles upon the bunker he has made?
3. How does Vladek characterize the head of his ghetto?
4. What happened to Vladek’s Bielsko factory during the war?
5. Where did Vladek and Anja go from Sosnowiec?
This section contains 681 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)