|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Artie say overwhelms him at his mother’s funeral?
2. Where did Mala’s mother hide, that she survived living in the ghetto?
(a) In an abandoned factory.
(b) In a crawlspace.
(c) In a coal cellar.
(d) Inside a hidden closet.
3. How does Ilzecki save Vladek’s life?
(a) He gives him somewhere to hide when the Nazis are rounding up Jews.
(b) He vouches for him when the Germans have arrested him.
(c) He gives him forged papers that allow him to travel.
(d) He pays a German officer to keep him from being deported.
4. What does the individual whom Vladek runs into on Modrezejowska Street give him?
(a) A note that will get him into his shop.
(c) Contacts for the resistance.
(d) Directions to the free territories.
5. Where is Vladek’s cousin Miloch hiding?
(a) In a basement.
(b) In a factory.
(c) In a piano.
(d) In a garbage pit.
6. What happened to Vladek’s Bielsko factory during the war?
(a) It was robbed.
(b) It was shuttered.
(c) It was taken by the Germans.
(d) It was burned down.
7. Where does Vladek get a work card?
(a) At a tin shop.
(b) At a bakery.
(c) At a tailor’s shop.
(d) At a textile factory.
8. After leaving Mrs. Motonowa’s house, where do Vladek and Anja consider fleeing to?
9. How does Vladek characterize the head of his ghetto?
(a) A man who thought only of himself.
(b) A man who wanted to be a king.
(c) A man who took care of his Jews.
(d) A man who only took care of his own family.
10. As related in Chapter 6, how does Vladek help his fellow prisoners?
(a) He bribes the guard for more food.
(b) He distracts the guard so one can flee.
(c) He writes letters in German.
(d) He smuggles them food.
11. What do Vladek’s fellow prisoners pay him with, for his help?
(c) Contacts with good smugglers.
12. What part of his father’s story does Artie say he wishes he knew more about?
(a) Richieu’s story.
(b) The story of the ghettos.
(c) Anja’s story.
(d) The story of the Polish leaders.
13. What new tool has Artie brought with him to interview his father?
(a) An assistant.
(b) A tape recorder.
(c) A new fountain pen.
(d) A typewriter.
14. What were Anja’s last words to Artie?
(a) Goodnight, honey.
(b) You’ll take care of your father, won’t you?
(c) You still love me, don’t you?
(d) Remember me.
15. How had Artie’s mother killed herself?
(a) She slit her wrists.
(b) She jumped on railroad tracks.
(c) She shot herself.
(d) She hung herself.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where are Vladek and Anja reunited?
2. What ultimately happened to Richieu?
3. What does the guard find in Vladek’s shoe polish?
4. Where does Vladek visit after he runs into someone he knew on Modrezejowska Street?
5. What does Vladek use for currency?
This section contains 580 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)