|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Vladek say his position as a Jew in Poland is less secure than his position as a prisoner of war?
(a) As a POW, at least there was food.
(b) At home with Anja and his family, he is vulnerable on their behalf as well.
(c) POWs are regulated by war conventions; Jews can be killed with impunity.
(d) As a Jew in Poland, he has to compete with other Jews for all his food and needs.
2. What period is covered by Chapter 1?
(a) 1920s to 1930s.
(b) 1980 to 1985.
(c) 1944 to 1951.
(d) 1930s to 1944.
3. How did Vladek end up in the army after all?
(a) They lowered the requirements so that he was now healthy enough to be inducted.
(b) He was drafted.
(c) He was deemed healthy in spite of having starved himself down again.
(d) He refused to go on the starvation diet the second time.
4. Who does Artie’s father say he was often compared to?
(a) John Wayne.
(b) Humphrey Bogart.
(c) Fred Astaire.
(d) Rudolph Valentino.
5. Where was Vladek stationed when he was in the Polish army?
(a) Deep inside Poland.
(b) On the Russian frontier.
(c) At the coast in the north.
(d) At the German frontier.
6. How does Vladek characterize his attitude about being in the army?
(a) He was anxious to prove himself a true Pole.
(b) He says that he didn’t want to shoot anyone, so he shot blindly.
(c) He was willing to kill Germans if it kept Poland free.
(d) He was opposed to violence in any form.
7. What is Artie's father doing while he is telling Artie his story?
(b) Watching television.
(c) Riding an exercise bike.
8. What effect does Vladek’s story about his father rescuing the pillow in 1914 have on Anja?
(a) It lifts her spirits.
(b) It reassures her.
(c) It reminds her why they must carry on.
(d) It convinces her that she can trust him.
9. What are the pills for, that Anja has in her bureau?
10. How does Vladek say his father escaped from Russian military service?
(a) By cutting off fingers.
(b) By pulling out his teeth.
(c) By fleeing to Poland.
(d) By blinding himself.
11. How old is Art Spiegelman at the beginning of the memoir?
(a) Three or four.
(b) Fifteen or sixteen.
(c) Six or seven.
(d) Eleven or twelve.
12. What does Vladek do to get back in touch with Anja after she stopped contacting him?
(a) He travels to her town at the weekend.
(b) He phones until she agrees to take his call.
(c) He asks Anja’s father to intercede.
(d) He writes her long letters.
13. Where does Artie’s father say he lived during the Great War?
(a) In Germany.
(b) In Poland.
(c) In England.
(d) In Russia.
14. What effect did Vladek’s shooting have in the war, during the battle before he was captured?
(a) He shot blindly, and did no damage.
(b) He shot one German soldier.
(c) He only shot in the air.
(d) He shot more than one German.
15. Who visits Vladek before he moves to Anja’s town?
(a) Lucia’s brother.
(c) Anja’s brother.
(d) His father.
Short Answer Questions
1. After their son is born, what do Vladek and Anja hear is going on in Germany?
2. What percentage of the workers stayed at the work camp, according to Vladek?
3. What does Vladek do when his eye doctor misdiagnoses him?
4. What task is Vladek given after being taken to a camp during the war?
5. When did the war begin for Vladek?
This section contains 593 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)