|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old is Art Spiegelman at the beginning of the memoir?
(a) Six or seven.
(b) Three or four.
(c) Eleven or twelve.
(d) Fifteen or sixteen.
2. Where does Artie's father live, in the beginning of the memoir?
(a) Berlin, Germany.
(b) Los Angeles, CA.
(c) Warsaw, Poland.
(d) Rego Park, NY.
3. Who is the friend Anja “always ran to see” even after she and Vladek were married?
(a) An old boyfriend from home.
(b) A communist from Warsaw.
(c) A cousin from Berlin.
(d) A childhood friend.
4. How does Anja’s family mend fences after the arrest she caused due to her work with her friend?
(a) They pay to send Anja’s friend to America.
(b) They turn Anja’s friend in to the police.
(c) They get involved in the resistance.
(d) They pay the seamstress a good amount of money.
5. What complication was there when Art Spiegelman was born?
(a) He was premature.
(b) He was a breach birth.
(c) He was almost strangulated by the umbilical cord.
(d) He was sickly.
6. What is Vladek and Anja’s reaction to Vladek being drafted?
(a) Vladek reports, and Anja returns to her parents’.
(b) Vladek reports, and Anja goes to live with a neighbor.
(c) Vladek is taken away, and Anja runs the factory.
(d) Vladek and Anja pack and leave for America.
7. What was Vladek’s chess set made of?
(b) Stones and bread.
(d) Ivory and ebony.
8. After their son is born, what do Vladek and Anja hear is going on in Germany?
(a) Civil war.
(b) A pogrom.
9. How does Artie’s father describe Anja’s relationships before marriage?
(a) He says that she had a fiancé who died of pneumonia.
(b) He says that she had no romantic relationships.
(c) He says that she had one boyfriend but it wasn’t serious.
(d) He says that she had been engaged a couple of times before him.
10. What does Vladek say was Anja’s response to his strong reaction to someone getting arrested due to the work she was doing for her friend during the war?
(a) He says that she continued to help the Communists without his knowledge.
(b) He says that she moved to her parents’ house.
(c) He says that she agreed to stop seeing the Communist.
(d) He says that she insisted on helping the resistance.
11. What does Vladek volunteer for while in the POW camp?
(a) An office job.
(b) A work detail.
(c) An industrial job.
(d) The German Army.
12. What objection does Artie’s father make about the material Artie is gathering?
(a) He says that it violates Anja’s memory.
(b) He says that it is private.
(c) He says that it has nothing to do with Hitler.
(d) He says that it is irrelevant.
13. Where do Vladek and Anja live after they are married?
(a) In a rented studio.
(b) In Anja’s family’s house.
(c) In an apartment building owned by Anja’s father.
(d) In a house Vladek buys.
14. What experience does Art Spiegelman’s father contrast with Art’s experience of his friends skating away when his skate broke?
(a) His experience as a young boy.
(b) His experience in the Holocaust.
(c) His experience as a soldier.
(d) His experience as a father.
15. What problem does Vladek have with his eyes?
(a) He has one glass eye, and cataracts in the other.
(b) He has macular degeneration in both eyes.
(c) He has glaucoma in both eyes.
(d) He has ruptured blood vessels in his eyes, and has reduced vision.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Vladek’s accommodations like on the assignment he volunteered for while being a POW?
2. When does Maus begin?
3. How does Vladek say his father escaped from Russian military service?
4. What medical condition does Artie's father have?
5. What effect did Vladek’s shooting have in the war, during the battle before he was captured?
This section contains 675 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)