|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the pills for, that Anja has in her bureau?
2. What was the outcome for the person who was arrested due to Anja's work for her friend?
(a) Her parents bailed her out.
(b) She remained in prison for three months but was let go.
(c) He was beaten and then released.
(d) She died in prison.
3. What is Artie's father doing when Artie sees him again in Chapter 2?
(a) Working out.
(c) Building book shelves.
(d) Counting pills.
4. How does Artie characterize his father’s relationship with Mala?
5. How old is Art Spiegelman at the beginning of the memoir?
(a) Three or four.
(b) Six or seven.
(c) Eleven or twelve.
(d) Fifteen or sixteen.
6. When does Maus begin?
7. What are Vladek’s accommodations like on the assignment he volunteered for while being a POW?
(a) Much more comfortable than the POW camp.
(b) Worse than the POW camp.
(c) More comfortable, but less safe than the POW camp.
(d) The same as the POW camp.
8. What territory is Vladek’s home in, after the division of Poland?
(b) The Russian section.
(c) The Protectorate.
(d) The Reich.
9. When did Vladek first serve in the army?
(a) At 18.
(b) At 21.
(c) At 24.
(d) At 16.
10. What effect did Vladek’s shooting have in the war, during the battle before he was captured?
(a) He shot more than one German.
(b) He shot one German soldier.
(c) He shot blindly, and did no damage.
(d) He only shot in the air.
11. Where was Vladek stationed when he was in the Polish army?
(a) At the coast in the north.
(b) At the German frontier.
(c) Deep inside Poland.
(d) On the Russian frontier.
12. What does Artie say was his father’s policy regarding food?
(a) Artie was allowed to eat what he liked.
(b) Artie was required to sit through meals even if he didn’t eat anything.
(c) Artie was encouraged to be a finicky eater.
(d) Artie had to eat everything on his plate.
13. How does Vladek characterize his attitude about being in the army?
(a) He was anxious to prove himself a true Pole.
(b) He was willing to kill Germans if it kept Poland free.
(c) He says that he didn’t want to shoot anyone, so he shot blindly.
(d) He was opposed to violence in any form.
14. When were Vladek and Anja married?
15. Where did Artie's father meet Anja?
(a) In a library.
(b) In a park.
(c) At the factory where he worked.
(d) During a visit to his family.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Artie’s father characterize his relationship with women?
2. What complication was there when Art Spiegelman was born?
3. Why does Vladek say his position as a Jew in Poland is less secure than his position as a prisoner of war?
4. How does Artie's father surprise Anja on their first date?
5. What happens to disturb Vladek and Anja’s peace in 1939?
This section contains 600 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)