|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are Vladek’s accommodations in the POW camp?
(b) Unheated tents.
(c) Heated cabins.
(d) Unheated shacks.
2. Who does Anja’s friend get her in trouble with?
(a) Her parents.
(c) Her friend.
(d) The police.
3. How did Vladek end up in the army after all?
(a) He refused to go on the starvation diet the second time.
(b) He was drafted.
(c) He was deemed healthy in spite of having starved himself down again.
(d) They lowered the requirements so that he was now healthy enough to be inducted.
4. What objection does Artie’s father make about the material Artie is gathering?
(a) He says that it is irrelevant.
(b) He says that it has nothing to do with Hitler.
(c) He says that it is private.
(d) He says that it violates Anja’s memory.
5. How does Anja’s family mend fences after the arrest she caused due to her work with her friend?
(a) They pay the seamstress a good amount of money.
(b) They get involved in the resistance.
(c) They pay to send Anja’s friend to America.
(d) They turn Anja’s friend in to the police.
6. When does Artie’s father say he quit school to work?
7. How does Artie characterize his father’s relationship with Mala?
8. What happens to disturb Vladek and Anja’s peace in 1939?
(a) Anja is sick.
(b) The factory burns down.
(c) Richieu dies.
(d) Vladek is drafted.
9. What plans do Anja’s family and Vladek make after the birth of Vladek and Anja’s first son?
(a) Vladek and Anja move to Sosnowiec together to start their family.
(b) Vladek and Anja go to a sanitarium in Czechoslovakia.
(c) Vladek moves to Sosnowiec to wait for Anja.
(d) Vladek and Anja split up temporarily.
10. What does Vladek say was his reaction to someone getting arrested because of the work Anja did for her friend during the war time?
(a) He wanted Anja to repair the damage she’d done.
(b) He wanted to participate in the conspiracies.
(c) He wanted to go to America.
(d) He was ready to break off his marriage.
11. Where does Artie’s father say he lived during the Great War?
(a) In Russia.
(b) In Poland.
(c) In Germany.
(d) In England.
12. How does Artie’s father describe Anja’s relationships before marriage?
(a) He says that she had one boyfriend but it wasn’t serious.
(b) He says that she had no romantic relationships.
(c) He says that she had been engaged a couple of times before him.
(d) He says that she had a fiancé who died of pneumonia.
13. When did the war begin for Vladek?
(a) September 1, 1939.
(b) July 15, 1938.
(c) May 1, 1940.
(d) April 30, 1938.
14. What wedding gift does Artie’s father say his father-in-law gave him?
(a) A gold watch.
(b) A gold ring.
(d) An inscribed copy of the Torah.
15. After their son is born, what do Vladek and Anja hear is going on in Germany?
(b) Civil war.
(d) A pogrom.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Art Spiegelman at the beginning of the memoir?
2. How does the process of gathering information change Artie’s relationship with his father?
3. How often do Vladek and Anja see each other once Vladek’s father-in-law’s business plans for Vladek come through?
4. What period is covered by Chapter 1?
5. While in the POW camp, what were the conditions under which Vladek could write home?
This section contains 620 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)