|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What officers fight at dinner?
2. What is the ship that Ringle spots doing?
3. What does Stately require in order to get to Bantry?
4. What does Stephen ask his Kroomen guide?
5. What does Maturin talk about most concerning his time on the Ringle?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following:
1. Define irony in literary terms. Discuss two ironic situations that occur in The Commodore.
2. Define symbolism in literary terms. Discuss the use and meaning of five symbols you choose to analyze from The Commodore. What do they symbolize? Is the symbolism obvious? Effective? Does the symbolism contribute to the enjoyment of reading?
3. Discuss five literary devices that occur in The Commodore and how they are used. Are they effective? Do they add or detract from the reading of the book? Why or why not. Some possible techniques: Allusion, connotation, denouement, dialogue, flashback, figurative language, motif, metaphor, narrator, point of view, simile, mood, and puns.
Essay Topic 2
Many events that happen in The Commodore are foreshadowed by previous events and/or signs. Discuss the following:
1. Define the literary term "foreshadow."
2. Why would an author use foreshadowing? Do you think it adds or detracts from your experience as a reader? Explain.
3. Trace and analyze five instances of foreshadowing in The Commodore. Match up what is mentioned earlier and what it foreshadows. Did you guess that each instance of foreshadowing was a "heads up" of something to come? Why or why not.
Essay Topic 3
Most of the entire series of novels concerning Captain Jack Aubrey takes place during the Napoleonic Wars, The Comodore is no exception. An understanding the political and social situation during that time helps to a greater understanding and appreciation of this book and others in the series. Discuss one of the following:
1. Research and write an expository essay about how the Napoleonic Wars begin and end.
2. Research and write an expository essay about the naval aspect of the Napoleonic Wars between Britain and France.
3. Compare/Contrast the importance of the British navy during the Napoleonic Wars to the importance of the British navy during either WWI or WWII.
This section contains 2,289 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)