|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What plot has McAnon uncovered?
(a) The French plan to invade Spain.
(b) The French plan to take Dover.
(c) The French plan to invade Ireland.
(d) The traitor's plan to bring in French agents.
2. What is one of the fastest ships in Jack's squadron?
3. Who is Heneage Dundas?
(a) Surprise's First Mate.
(b) The captain of the Berenice.
(c) Jack Aubrey's second in command.
(d) Beagle's Captain.
4. What do Aubrey's three children race to tell him?
(a) That Dr. Maturin is waiting for him.
(b) That their mother is ill.
(c) That his Admiral's uniform has arrived.
(d) That their mother has gone to London.
5. What does Maturin do when he talks to Mrs. Williams?
(a) Tells her she is not immune to being arrested if she persists.
(b) Asks her very kindly to leave Clarissa alone.
(c) Threatens her.
(d) Nothing more than asks her consideration of his daughter.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Maturin decide to do about Coleman and Oates?
2. What does Aubrey do as a result of losing?
3. What of Maturin's is in danger?
4. Who does Maturin first visit upon arrival in London?
5. How is Captain Thomas characterized?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does a sailor interrupt Aubrey and Dundas' visit and what happens?
2. What conflict exists among the servants at Aubrey's estate?
3. What does Maturin say about Sarah and Emily?
4. What does Aubrey learn when he opens his orders and what does he ask Maturin concerning the orders?
5. What do Stephen and Smith talk about concerning the way Stephen is feeling?
6. Where is Dundas during some bad weather?
7. Who visits Stephen in Bantry and what does he tell Stephen?
8. How is Captain Thomas characterized?
9. What happens as Stephen rides to Portsmouth?
10. Briefly describe the confrontation with the French.
This section contains 953 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)