|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who are the Kroomen?
(a) Local merchants in Sierra Leone.
(b) A tribe of Africans in the upper Congo region.
(c) A family of Dutch slave traders.
(d) A family of German slave traders.
2. What is one thing Maturin believes about his condition?
(a) It is not too serious.
(b) It's contagious.
(c) It is curable.
(d) It's not contagious.
3. What officers fight at dinner?
(a) Those of the Bellona, Ringle and Thames.
(b) Those of the Bellona and Stately.
(d) Those of the Bellona and Ringle.
4. Who is Mr. Gifford?
(a) The surgeon on the Stately.
(b) The first mate on the Ringle.
(c) The surgeon on the Ringle.
(d) The first mate on the Stately.
5. What is Stephen unable to do with the message from Blaine?
(a) Decipher it.
(b) He never receives the message.
(c) Do what Blaine wants.
(d) Send it on to the appropriate persons.
6. Why does Jack have Ballona repeat a drill for the other ships in the squadron to witness?
(a) So the Ballona's relatively inexperienced crew can get more practice time.
(b) The Ballona is quite good at the exercise.
(c) So the other Captains feel ashamed.
(d) He refuses to repeat the drill and says the other ships will have to do it on their own.
7. What does Aubrey confer upon Whewell?
(a) A medal.
(b) A field commission.
(d) A certificate of cooperation.
8. How does Gifford characterize William Duff?
(a) As anxiety ridden.
(b) As cruel.
(c) As a pederast.
(d) As timid.
9. What has been happening since Maturin took ill?
(a) The fleet has returned to England.
(b) The fleet is still in Freetown.
(c) The fleet has headed for the coast of Ireland.
(d) The fleet has captured quite a few slave vessels.
10. From what does Maturin say Mr. Gray is suffering?
(d) Some sort of attack of the stone.
11. What has Aubrey worried?
(a) The wind has turned.
(b) Captain Thomas has hung someone unjustly.
(c) Two of the fleet's ships are seriously damaged.
(d) The Ringle's main mast is broken.
12. Why is Captain Thomas angry at Aubrey?
(a) Because Aubery threw out a military conviction Thomas makes on a crew member.
(b) For Aubrey questioning the readiness of his crew.
(c) Because Aubrey has ordered Thomas to cease drilling so much.
(d) Because Aubrey refuses to allow Thomas any flexibility.
13. With what does Stephen return from his excusion on the Sinon?
(a) A Roman artifact.
(b) Numerous samples.
(c) Two young girls.
(d) An elderly man who knows the area.
14. What does Maturin think may be wrong with him?
(b) A cold.
(c) Yellow fever.
(d) Dengue fever.
15. What does Maturin tell Smith?
(a) Maturin needs some quinine from onshore.
(b) To ask the tribal shaman to come on board.
(c) To go get Captain Aubrey.
(d) How to treat Maturin if Maturin is sick.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Captain Thomas' ship described?
2. What does Killick say about Sohpie?
3. On whose ship is Whewell?
4. Why does Aubrey call a meeting of all the Captains?
5. What does Stately require in order to get to Bantry?
This section contains 534 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)