|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Maturin react to Gifford's concerns?
(a) Maturin says he will talk with Duff.
(b) Maturin dismisses them.
(c) Maturin says he will talk with Aubrey.
(d) Maturin says that Gifford should talk with Duff.
2. Why does Captain Thomas become defensive?
(a) Aubrey talks about the lack of control of many of the gunners.
(b) Aubrey asks him for his opnion about the slave trade.
(c) Aubrey talks about the need for more targeted exercises.
(d) Aubrey talks about officers owning slaves.
3. How does Diana greet Stephen?
(a) With great excitment.
4. What do Bonden and Killick discuss in secret?
(a) The upcoming assignment.
(d) A business scheme.
5. What is Philip's Island?
(a) A haven for the French.
(b) A slave trade haven.
(c) An uninhabited refuge for birds.
(d) An uninhabited, mostly bare piece of land.
6. What does Stephen say to the villagers?
(a) That the British will conquer them no matter what.
(b) That they are better off with the English.
(c) He talks about the evils of Bonaparte.
(d) Maturin stays out of the situation.
7. Why is one of the slave vessels considered pirates?
(a) They have no registry.
(b) They fire upon the British.
(c) They are doing something illegal.
(d) They have unlicensed crew members.
8. Of whose death is Maturin informed?
(b) Maturin's aunt.
(c) Diana's cousin.
(d) Diana's aunt.
9. What officers fight at dinner?
(b) Those of the Bellona and Ringle.
(c) Those of the Bellona and Stately.
(d) Those of the Bellona, Ringle and Thames.
10. What does one officer of Stately believe?
(a) The discussion at dinner impugns the fighting readiness of his vessel.
(b) Homosexuality has no bearing on a ship's readiness.
(c) Homosexuals fight better than others.
(d) Homosexuals should be put to death.
11. When had Diana fled to where she now is?
(a) Just after Brigid's birth.
(b) Before Stephen's return to England.
(c) Just after Stephen left with the fleet.
(d) She did not flee, but left because of family problems.
12. Who is Parson Hinksey?
(a) Someone who courted Sophie before she marries Jack.
(b) The parson on board the Surprise.
(c) The cleric assigned to Jack's estates.
(d) Someone under suspicion of treason.
13. Who are the Kroomen?
(a) A family of German slave traders.
(b) A family of Dutch slave traders.
(c) A tribe of Africans in the upper Congo region.
(d) Local merchants in Sierra Leone.
14. Why does Jack have Ballona repeat a drill for the other ships in the squadron to witness?
(a) So the other Captains feel ashamed.
(b) The Ballona is quite good at the exercise.
(c) So the Ballona's relatively inexperienced crew can get more practice time.
(d) He refuses to repeat the drill and says the other ships will have to do it on their own.
15. What does Maturin give Mr. Gray?
(d) Castor oil.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ringle spot?
2. What does Maturin say both Jack and Sophie must do?
3. What does Mr. Whewell describe for Jack and Stephen?
4. Who is Stanislas?
5. What does Stephen ask of Mr. Houmouzios?
This section contains 563 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)