|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the naval penalty for sodomy?
(b) Firing squad.
(c) Reduction in rank and discharge.
2. What does Stephen do when Aubrey decides to wait out to sea for a few days?
(a) Remains on board.
(b) Stays ashore to explore.
(c) Writes on his book on board Bellona.
(d) Give physical exams to the men who seem to not be well.
3. How does Diana greet Stephen?
(b) With great excitment.
4. What does Maturin give Mr. Gray?
(d) Castor oil.
5. With what does Stephen return from his excusion on the Sinon?
(a) Numerous samples.
(b) A Roman artifact.
(c) An elderly man who knows the area.
(d) Two young girls.
6. What is one thing Maturin believes about his condition?
(a) It is curable.
(b) It is not too serious.
(c) It's contagious.
(d) It's not contagious.
7. Who owned a slaver that Whewell once served on board?
(a) Sir Blaine.
(b) Maturin, though he did not know it was a slaver.
(c) Thomas' family.
(d) No one is mentioned like that.
8. Who is Whewell?
(a) A captain's mate who knows a great deal about the slave trade.
(b) A Scot who understands the slave routes.
(c) An Irishman who knows the coast where the French will supposedly land.
(d) Aubrey's steward.
9. Who does Aubrey's fleet capture?
(a) Four transports and the flag ship.
(b) None of the French ships.
(c) Only the flag ship.
(d) Three frigates and a transport.
10. How does Jack learn of the Irish invasion?
(a) When he captures a French spy on board one of the vessels.
(b) When he captures a French frigate.
(c) From Maturin.
(d) When he opens his orders.
11. What does Stephen wonder about his use of cocoa leaves?
(a) It may have attenuated his disease.
(b) It may have something in it that makes him more prone to mosquitoes biting.
(c) It may have weakened his immune system.
(d) It may be an addiction.
12. From what does Maturin say Mr. Gray is suffering?
(c) Some sort of attack of the stone.
13. What does Stately require in order to get to Bantry?
(a) A new mast.
(c) A tow.
(d) More crew.
14. What is Philip's Island?
(a) An uninhabited, mostly bare piece of land.
(b) An uninhabited refuge for birds.
(c) A slave trade haven.
(d) A haven for the French.
15. Why is one of the slave vessels considered pirates?
(a) They fire upon the British.
(b) They have no registry.
(c) They are doing something illegal.
(d) They have unlicensed crew members.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Aubrey contemplate leaving behind?
2. What happens concerning Mr. Gray before the fleet gets underway?
3. What does Square agree to do?
4. Where does Aubrey's fleet corner the French squadron?
5. Where is Diana?
This section contains 496 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)