|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. From what is Aubrey recovering?
(a) A sword slash across his chest.
(b) The ague.
(c) A bad cold.
(d) A fall from his horse.
2. What do Dundas and Aubrey once do at a water stop when they are young men?
(a) Sneak a woman on board.
(b) Swim in a river with crocodiles.
(c) Force the entire crew to bathe.
(d) Duel with swords.
3. Who is Brigid?
(a) Clarissa's daughter.
(b) Maturin's mother.
(c) Diana's mother.
(d) Maturin's daughter.
4. To where will the French squadron that departs from Lorient be ostensibly bound?
(a) The West Indies.
(b) The southeastern coast of Spain.
5. What commodity does Thunderer lack?
6. What will Aubrey be allowed to do as a result of his next assignment?
(a) Remand the Surprise as his personal vessel.
(b) Allow Maturin to stay home with his ill wife.
(c) Allow his trusted first mate to finally retire.
(d) Hoist a broad pennant.
7. What does Maturin believe cocoa leaves medicate?
8. What does Maturin give Sir Blaine?
(a) A bottle of laudanum.
(b) A note from a British spy in France.
(c) A torn letter that partially implicates the spy they are searching for.
(d) Coca leaves.
9. Why are Dundas and Aubrey once flogged?
(a) For being late to return from shore leave.
(b) For dueling.
(c) For oversleeping after getting drunk.
(d) Only Dundas was flogged.
10. What does Mrs. Williams try to tell Aubrey about Diana?
(a) Diana's behavior.
(b) Diana's pregnancy.
(c) That Diana is distraught at Maturin not coming home.
(d) That Diana is practically destitute.
11. About what does Aubrey express anxiety?
(a) If Surprise will be large enough to serve as the flag vessel.
(b) Sophie having to deal with her mother day in and out.
(c) His new command.
(d) Sophie delivering at her age.
12. Who is Heneage Dundas?
(a) Jack Aubrey's second in command.
(b) Surprise's First Mate.
(c) Beagle's Captain.
(d) The captain of the Berenice.
13. What does Maturin decide to do about Coleman and Oates?
(a) Move them to London where they will not be easily found.
(b) Send them to the West Indies.
(c) Take them to Spain.
(d) Send them to the country under disguise.
14. What does Aubrey point out through his telescope?
(a) A new star Aubrey has just found.
(b) Several of the ships of his new squadron.
(c) The young age of the sailors on many of his ships.
(d) A new star that Aubrey just found.
15. What will Aubrey be receiving for his next assignment?
(a) A new first mate.
(b) A new surgeon.
(c) A small squadron.
(d) A new ship of the line.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what does Maturin hire a man named Pratt?
2. With whom does Mrs. Williams insinuate that Diana is having an affair?
3. What is said about Clarissa Oakes?
4. Where is Maturin almost overtaken while riding?
5. Why is Aubrey pleased to hear the Laurel will be joining his squadron?
This section contains 561 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)