|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What relation is Diana to Mrs. Williams?
2. For what does Maturin hire a man named Pratt?
(a) To try to find Diana.
(b) To confront the man who is harassing Clarissa.
(c) To build a new stall for Brigid's pony.
(d) To re-roof the barn.
3. What does Aubrey do as a result of losing?
(a) Asks for a rematch.
(b) Challenges Dundas to a duel.
(c) Leaves Dundas in port when the ship sails.
(d) Gives Dundas his second-best sword.
4. Why does Captain Thomas refuse to speak to Maturin soon after the dinner starts?
(a) Thomas learns that Maturin is Aubrey's best friend.
(b) Thomas learns Maturin is not a captain.
(c) Maturin picks up the wrong spoon at some point.
(d) Thomas learns Maturin is Irish.
5. For whom does Sophie hold a dinner party?
(a) The post captains in Aubrey's command.
(b) Her best friends from childhood.
(c) Her god daughter.
(d) All the officers of the mess on Ringle.
6. Who is Mr. Hinkley?
(a) Aubrey's overseer.
(b) Mrs. Broad's nephew.
(c) Emily and Sarah's guardian.
(d) Maturin's lawyer.
7. What is one of the fastest ships in Jack's squadron?
8. Who is Lalla?
(a) Aubrey's cook.
(b) Maturin's mare.
(c) Maturin's cook.
(d) A young girl who is watching Brigid.
9. Who is Brigid?
(a) Clarissa's daughter.
(b) Diana's mother.
(c) Maturin's daughter.
(d) Maturin's mother.
10. What does Aubrey point out through his telescope?
(a) Several of the ships of his new squadron.
(b) A new star that Aubrey just found.
(c) The young age of the sailors on many of his ships.
(d) A new star Aubrey has just found.
11. What of Maturin's is in danger?
(a) His position.
(b) His collections from his travels.
(c) His assets.
(d) His research notes.
12. Why are Dundas and Aubrey once flogged?
(a) For oversleeping after getting drunk.
(b) For dueling.
(c) For being late to return from shore leave.
(d) Only Dundas was flogged.
13. What does Maturin reflect upon as he stops for a drink at an inn?
(a) His daughter's safety.
(b) His wife's running away.
(c) The traitor.
(d) The nature of the true mission of Aubrey's command.
14. What does Mrs. Williams' snide remark concern about Aubrey's uniform?
(a) She is silent when Aubrey dons his uniform.
(b) That Aubrey is getting too heavy for his uniforms.
(c) That it should be a Commodore rather than Rear Admiral uniform.
(d) That she is surprised Aubrey rises above a Captain's rank.
15. What plot has McAnon uncovered?
(a) The French plan to invade Ireland.
(b) The traitor's plan to bring in French agents.
(c) The French plan to invade Spain.
(d) The French plan to take Dover.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where would Dundas end up if he returns to England empty handed?
2. With whom does Mrs. Williams insinuate that Diana is having an affair?
3. What ship do Aubrey and Maturin board the next morning?
4. What has Captain Dundas suggested several times?
5. What does Maturin give the person he first visits?
This section contains 539 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)