|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is the Surprise damaged?
(a) Grounding on some shoals.
(b) A typhoon.
(c) Fight against a French privateer.
(d) A fight with an American frigate and bad weather.
2. Who does Sophie send to bring Maturin to the party?
(a) She goes herself.
3. What does Aubrey do as a result of losing?
(a) Asks for a rematch.
(b) Gives Dundas his second-best sword.
(c) Leaves Dundas in port when the ship sails.
(d) Challenges Dundas to a duel.
4. What does Maturin decide to do about Coleman and Oates?
(a) Take them to Spain.
(b) Move them to London where they will not be easily found.
(c) Send them to the country under disguise.
(d) Send them to the West Indies.
5. Of what does the bulk of Maturin's assets consist?
(a) Race Horses.
(c) Gold bullion.
6. What bothers Maturin on the ship?
(a) The squalor of the kitchen.
(b) His living quarters.
(c) The lack of ventilation.
(d) The sick berth.
7. Who are Sarah and Emily?
(a) Maturin's wife and daughter.
(b) Aubrey's new twin daughters.
(c) Two Melanesian girls Maturin rescued.
(d) Sir Blaine's new twin nieces.
8. What does Aubrey do in response to his children's pleas?
(a) Jumps his horse over a small tree that has fallen over.
(b) Goes inside to try on his uniform.
(c) Reassures them that their mother is just bringing them a new brother or sister.
(d) Swings them all on his horse.
9. With whom does Killick have an altercation?
(a) The butler.
(c) Aubrey's son.
10. Why do Ringle and Surprise stay with Berenice?
(a) Dundas is the Admiral's flagship.
(b) To protect Berenice.
(c) Dundas is under suspicion of treason.
(d) As a courtesy.
11. What does Maturin give Sir Blaine?
(a) A note from a British spy in France.
(b) A torn letter that partially implicates the spy they are searching for.
(c) A bottle of laudanum.
(d) Coca leaves.
12. About what does Clarissa worry concerning Mrs. Williams' visit?
(a) That Clarissa said too much.
(b) That Clarissa should not have told Maturin about it.
(c) That Clarissa made an enemy of Mrs. Williams.
(d) That Mrs. Williams would sell information for the right amount of money.
13. How is the high-place traitor described?
(a) As a woman who works in a house of ill repute.
(b) As a man who is a master at disguise.
(c) As a man with a limp.
(d) As a man disguised as an elderly gardner.
14. From what is Aubrey recovering?
(a) A bad cold.
(b) A fall from his horse.
(c) The ague.
(d) A sword slash across his chest.
15. Where would Dundas end up if he returns to England empty handed?
(a) Debtor's prison.
(b) With an administrative job.
(d) In the Navy brig for dereliction of duty.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is said about Clarissa Oakes?
2. Who is Habachtsthal?
3. What commodity does Thunderer lack?
4. What ship weighs anchor at Shelmerston?
5. With whom does Mrs. Williams insinuate that Diana is having an affair?
This section contains 515 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)