• Surprise, Ringle and Berenice are headed to their home ports in England; Berenice had helped effect repairs on Surprise.
• Captain Dundas of the Berenice asks Aubrey for a loan of money, which Aubrey consents to based on their past history as midshipmen.
• The two Captains recount stories about their younger days, in particular a time when the two engaged in a duel.
• A sailor reports a sighting of a ship and lantern flashes are exchanged with the other ship not providing the proper codes.
• Aubrey calls for general quarters.
• Maturin wakes to the sound of general quarters and thinks about his wife and daughter, Brigid, who he has never seen.
• The Thunderer's signalman is incompetent and there is to be no battle after all.
• Thunderer has the other captains to breakfast in apology for causing the stir aboard their ships.
• Thunderer has some letters for Surprise's...
This section contains 2,446 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)