|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what drugs was the herpes epidemic resistant?
2. An epidemic of what disease proved that the United States was in rough shape and in need of timely vaccinations?
(b) Yellow fever.
(d) Dengue fever.
3. In Chapter 13: "Revenge of the Germs," by what year were many viruses resistant to antibiotics, including the staph infection?
4. In sociology, what is the social process of becoming or being relegated to the fringe of society?
5. What surgeon traveled to the capital of Uganda only to discover that their virus matched the AIDS epidemic?
(a) Richard Shope.
(b) Daniel Elmer Salmon.
(c) Clint Nyamurkunge.
(d) Jim McDermott.
Short Answer Questions
1. E faecium became resistant to which last available antibiotic?
2. Lyme disease was first discovered when a number of cases were identified in what year?
3. What refers to an epidemic of an infectious disease that is spreading through human populations across a large region?
4. French and Belgium scientists began to suspect the AIDS disease was a virus with what origins?
5. What organ does tuberculosis usually attack?
Short Essay Questions
1. What obstacles did Joe McCormick find in the fight against the Lassa virus?
2. What impact did AIDS have in India?
3. What was the impact of tuberculosis in America? What improved conditions?
4. How did many nations respond to the AIDS epidemic?
5. How did the discovery of genetic engineering change the views of the scientific community?
6. What are retroviruses and oncogenes? What was discovered about them in Chapter 8: "Revolution"?
7. What led to the epidemic of sexually transmitted diseases amongst the gay community?
8. What led to the outbreak of AIDS in Uganda? What was the impact of AIDS there?
9. What illness broke out in New Mexico in 1993? How many people died?
10. What was the CDC's response to the initial outbreak of AIDS? Where had similar cases been seen?
This section contains 841 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)