|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the second social epidemic noted by the WHO?
(a) Acceptance of the plague.
(b) Repression of those with the plague.
(c) Denial of the plague.
(d) Fear of the plague.
2. Johnathan Mann's team advised global education, but in the aftermath of the AIDS epidemic, many countries began to do what to immigrants with the disease?
(a) Deport them.
(b) Imprison them.
(c) Execute them.
(d) Quarentine them.
3. What disease did children with malaria contract after being required to have nearly complete blood transfusions?
4. In Chapter 14, Johnathan Mann of the WHO Global Program on AIDS addressed a gathering of over a thousand in what city?
5. In what state is the town of Lyme, for which Lyme disease was named, located?
Short Answer Questions
1. Blackwater fever was caused by the overuse of what substance?
2. A study in Africa related to TB showed its decrease was likely due to what?
3. In what year did the CDC call the first International AIDS Conference?
4. East and West Germany merged in what year, causing AIDS to strike fiercely?
5. What does PID refer to?
Short Essay Questions
1. When was the hantavirus first discovered? What was the source of the epidemics?
2. What was the impact of tuberculosis in America? What improved conditions?
3. How did many nations respond to the AIDS epidemic?
4. How does the author describe the Rivet Hypothesis in Chapter 16?
5. What led to the outbreak of AIDS in Uganda? What was the impact of AIDS there?
6. With whom did Joe McCormick meet to discuss the Lassa virus? What was this relationship like?
7. How does the author describe the outbreak of Lyme disease? How did human interaction impact the disease?
8. How does the author describe the evolution of staph infections in Chapter 13: "Revenge of the Germs"?
9. How does the author describe the correlation between tampons and outbreaks of TSS in Chapter 12?
10. What three social epidemics related to the biological epidemic of AIDS are observed in Chapter 14: "Thirdworldization"?
This section contains 901 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)